X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• support our troops?

needless to say i shop at home depot. all my stationary shop tools are ridgid. this weekend i am questioning my loyalty! i am comfortable at my local home depot.....i know where nearly everything is, unlike my local lowes...where i have to search for things.

home depot (at least my local one), has signs by every cash register, as you walk in, and at the return counter stating they support the troops. lowes does not.

yet this weekend, HD is business as usual, while LOWES is giving active duty servicemembers 10% off!
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

The other side of that coin is that Memorial Day is a day that we Americans honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. It should not be a day that we should give a rats backside about who is or who isn't padding the bottom line. Every "memorial day sale" is nothing but a sales gimmick and has absolutely nothing to do with patriotism. Having a sale doesn't make a company patriotic it just makes it a business. The Lowes deal is offered to active duty, national guard and retired military who can produce a military ID card. What about the millions of veterans who have served but don't have military ID's because the didn't put in 20 years?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I generally don't worry about HOW someone else honors our heros. IMO, all that matters is that you do.

God bless them all.

Comment

Since this is my 200th post (kind of a milestone)I'm not going to waste it defending Ridgid or bashing HD.

Today is Memorial Day. Let's all take a moment to remember all those who made the ultimate sacrifice defending this great Nation, our Flag, and all the Freedoms we sometimes take so much for granted. May they rest in peace. Thank you!
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I meant no disrespect to either home depot or anyone who has served this country honorably!

and i did not expect any special treatment on memorial day simply because i am in the military.

i was merely attempting to make a point!

home depot claims to "support the troops", lowes does not. yet lowes offers a break but hd does not!
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Spacebluesonoma,

It is absolutely right that we honor our vets and active service men and women, but one should not be insulted or miffed just because a store does not have a 10% off sale for military personnel on Memorial Day. The Memorial Day Holiday is put in place by our government to honor those who have defended, those who are presently defending and those who may be called upon in the future to defend our country. There should be no monetary attachment of any kind… the honor and recognition bestowed upon you by our government could only be cheapened in that way. Memorial Day is your country’s way of saying “Thank you my friend”.

Never forget that there is no active draft, and that you signed up of your own volition, knowing the possibility that you may have to make the supreme sacrifice should your country go to war. Service in the military is a paid job like mine is a paid job, and there is a package of benefits available to you as a condition of your agreement of service to your country, such as the GI bill when your time is up. This is an awesome benefit! You serve 4 years in the military, then get a great tuition and other benefits for the rest of your life when you are finished! I’ll work for 30 years for my company and receive nothing comparable to that (nor should I – I’m not laying my life on the line.) Your country is honoring you (and compensating you) once again for your service by that benefit alone. I’m willing to bet that many people who signed up for service in the military primarily had this benefit in mind, simply because they knew the odds were on their side that the United States would not be involved in a major conflict during their hitch. It is very easy these days to join up for a country like the United States -- a country that is not likely to lose any conventional war in any event in time. But in 1941 things were quite different. People rushed to enlist immediately after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, knowing full well they were facing two fearsome adversaries: One with a with a suddenly superior navy and the other with a fully mechanized army of elite troops that were stomping on Europe with ease. They enlisted knowing full well the odds were against them that they would make it home alive or in one piece. I don’t think they were worried about discounts at local stores at the time. As an experiment, ask your local recruiter “How’s business lately?” now that things are ‘hot’ in the US military…I’ll bet he’ll tell you he has a lot of free time on his hands.

I don’t mean to insult you but I don’t want you to de-purify the meaning of the holiday your country has given you. I think you need a change of perspective on what it truly means. You should not care about discounts or sales or anything on Your Day… find meaning in it from deep down inside… know the special brother and sisterhood you are a member of. Humble yourself by realizing that hundreds of thousands are not alive to crab about the shortcomings of this day.

I have two close friends who are much older than me that served in WW2. One survived Guadalcanal and the other was a ball turret gunner aboard a B-17 over Germany who miraculously survived his missions. I work with two Viet Nam vets who are tight-lipped about everything that went on over there. From these personal friendships I can assure you it is possible to honor our Vets and service personnel without attaching a monetary benefit to it. Those folks at Home Depot, all of them are Americans like you and I, and simply because they don’t give you a discount on a jointer or a table saw doesn’t mean they didn’t serve themselves or have a father or a brother killed in a war, or simply that they don’t take a moment on Memorial Day to think about everything they have as an American and acknowledge the reasons they are fortunate enough to have it. It is the 60th Anniversary of D-Day as I write this… a personal dream of mine is to visit the American Cemetery in Normandy to touch their gravestones… those who gave it all, along with their British and Canadian allies, knowing they would never see their homelands again. They died 17 years before I was born, yet what they did means so much to me today, and always has.

Comment

Greg,

Well said. I am currently researching an Uncle I never knew who died in WWII. A ball turret gunner himself, KIA in '44. So far I've determined his rank was SSgt, he was 19 years old and, apparently, assigned to the 447 Bomb Group of the 8th Air Force. I am planning on trying to heal wounds that developed between my Father and his family before he died over a petty family squabble so that I can talk to the last remaining brother of my Dad's family. I want to see if he has any papers and momentos of my Uncle's who was KIA in WWII that he got after their Mother died. I know a lot of the Army's records were destroyed in a fire but I hope to find more details somewhere. I have also learned where he is buried and plan to go see his grave at the earliest opportunity. Fortunately, he was one of the luck ones who's remains were recovered five years after being KIA and given a proper burial in a National Cemetary in the my home state of Alabama.

Here is something that I wrote and shared with the younger folks where I work.

I Am Thankful For Someone…

When I turn on the television and hear harsh words spoken of my Country’s leader, whoever that may be, I am thankful for someone.

When I pick up a newspaper or magazine and read the opinions of everyone, I am thankful for someone.

When I think of the choice I had in education and career, I am thankful for someone.

When I get in my car and go to my four-bedroom home, I am thankful for someone.

When I see my neighbors’ children going off to school to learn, both boys and girls, I am thankful for someone.

When I go to the mall and purchase frivolous things with the money that I earned, I am thankful for someone.

When I go on vacation and travel freely from state-to-state, I am thankful for someone.

When I go to sleep at night without fear of being awakened by police for something I might have said about a politician’s policies to friend in a coffee shop, I am thankful for someone.

When I think of the choices I have to worship, I am thankful for someone.

When I go to the polls this November, I will be thankful for someone.

Who Is This “Someone”?

I am thankful for the husband who held his position against an on-coming wave of enemies wanting to kill him.

I am thankful for the brother on a cruiser who stayed at his gun, firing until an enemy plane flown by a suicidal pilot slammed into him.

I am thankful for the son on the destroyer who, burned almost beyond recognition, used his last breath to ask his shipmates to help him load his gun that would no longer fire.

I am thankful for the pilot who flew into impossible odds, never to return from doing his duty.

I am thankful for the crewman who still climbed on-board a bomber for his fifth mission, knowing that his life expectancy was typically five missions.

I am thankful for the man who picked up his rifle and marched onward after burying what was left of his best buddy.

I am thankful for the father who fought on frozen feet.

I am thankful for the gunner who continued to man his nose gun in a B-17 after the nose Plexiglas was shattered, though most of his face and one eye were frozen solid from the wind.

I am thankful for the nurse who comforted a dieing soldier without showing tears until after he was gone.

I am thankful for the women at home who made it possible for the soldiers, pilots, and sailors to do what had to be done.

And...

I am thankful for an uncle I never knew, who, I was told, was machine-gunned by a plane while drifting helplessly beneath his parachute after bailing out of his burning bomber.

And, I am thankful for those who fight even today to try and make it safe for me to leave my home every day without fear.

This Memorial Day, and every day that we can, let us give thanks to those who made it possible for us to have so much that we take for granted.

Thank you.

Comment

Thanks George, and nice words. Very meaningful and true.... I couldn't agree more. Good luck researching your Uncle, I hope you learn much about him. He was a brave person just to be in the '17, but of all places, the ball turret... I can think of just about any other place I'd rather be than crammed into the ball! Those guys really had guts, did they not? What a machine they flew in! The B-17 is one of my favorites, that and the Mustang. It's hard not to honor those men, knowing what they were up against!

Thanks for chiming in!

Greg

Comment

Thanks, Greg. I hope I learn more too.

I agree that the B-17 was one awesome machine. What a pounding it could take and keep flying!
                  The ball turret guys definitely had guts. And the P-51. I've been to air shows where both showed up for display and to perform. Man! You hear car guys talking about how sweet their engines sound. But there is nothing sweeter than the deep roar of a B-17 or the very distinctive, smooth sound of raw power from a P-51D.

I saw an interview on TV of a B-17 turret gunner once and he said that no one ever wanted to trade jobs with him. He said that when they would come across a German fighter pilot that "took things personally", the fighter pilot would like to zero in on that guy they could see with his butt hanging out in the open in the ball turret.

Most of my study (a hobby) of WWII is of the Pacific Theater but I've read a lot of stories and books about battles in Europe. I am always in awe of the courage it took to climb into those bombers, day-after-day, fly through swarms of German fighters (before the P-51 came along) and hold it steady through AAA on target approach and then have to turn around and do it again to get back home!

We are losing the last survivors of that war at a terrible rate. I can understand why so many don't want to talk about their experiences because of the difficult to imagine horrors that they saw each day. But how many tales of heroism and lessons to learn from are there that we will never hear?

[ 06-08-2004, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: George ]

Comment

the sooner the soldiers can get control, the sooner they can come home

Comment

Out of my 19+ years in the National Guard (20 years in Feb. '05), I have never served in a combat situation. But, that's all about to change. My Battalion has received our Deployment Orders which will take us into harms way.

As an officer, husband, and father of two, you wonder how things will be when we return.

As stated in previous posts, I'm also thankful for those things we take for granted every day of our lives (freedom, the right to vote, freedom of speach, etc...).

Keep all of the men and women who have served or are serving in your thoughts (especially their families).

It's these things that we take for granted that drives me to perform to the best of my ability while serving our country.

Keep the board going and I'll talk to everyone when I return.

Comment

Best of luck Ted C.... do your best to stay safe while over there. I hope you and your fellow guardsman and soldiers will get to come home soon.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                        X