X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oils

doing some research on oils that are/were in the past used for honing. One of the choices I see posted a lot for the natural stones is "sperm oil" which is apparently a non petroleum oil extracted from the blubber of sperm whales. Anyone know if this stuff is still readily available? In addition, someone recommended the following as a substitute : An inexpensive, effective substitute for sperm oil is Dexron III automatic transmission fluid. Anyone got an opinion on this? Anyone know of a source for sperm oil?

Another possibility is pure neatsfoot oil? Not the commercial stuff you buy today for shoes, but the pure stuff you can apparently biy at tack stores, used primarily for saddles these days.

Any input/comments on either of these 2 would be most appreciated
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

I'm not going to type that into a search engine at work
    Since whaling has been banned here for quite some time I think the only source would be the orient. I think you want a thin lube for stones which is why many still use kerosene

Comment

Well

After researching this....
      it turns out i have been using it all along. Aparrently Smith's non petroleum honing compound is a synthetic "sperm oil" with additives to keep the stone clean!
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
      X