X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RRitch,
    Wasn't directed at you. There are some members that point the finger at the moderators and tell us what we need to do to make the forum better. The forum isnt intended to be customer service for our users. Nor did we intend it to be a place to make announcements and explain them. Some of that goes on but that wasnt what we put the board up for. We don't have a "RIDGID Forums team" Its mostly just people around our company that are willing to keep an eye on the forum along with their other job responsibilities. Norm and I are web developers so a lot of what is brought up, we can't answer. In fact neither of us have ever made anything in a wood shop (except for HS shop) I do have the new 4 piece power tools combo. Requested and received a set for Christmas (purchased from HD at full price... well actually 20% (sale)) because I believe in our tools. And I think they are a sound investment. We started the forum 3 years ago as a place for our customers to discuss Ridgid products and the professions they are used in. It has changed over the years but I still feel it is just as valuable.

This forum is never going to be perfect. And yes some people will post ignorant false information. And it may not be replied to by an official statement from us. Some of it will. We do desire to improve the forum while keeping it as open a discussion as possible.

Later,

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh:
      RRitch,
      Wasn't directed at you. There are some members that point the finger at the moderators and tell us what we need to do to make the forum better. The forum isn't intended to be customer service for our users. Nor did we intend it to be a place to make announcements and explain them. Some of that goes on but that wasn't what we put the board up for. We don't have a "RIDGID Forums team" Its mostly just people around our company that are willing to keep an eye on the forum along with their other job responsibilities. Norm and I are web developers so a lot of what is brought up, we can't answer. In fact neither of us have ever made anything in a wood shop (except for HS shop) I do have the new 4 piece power tools combo. Requested and received a set for Christmas (purchased from HD at full price... well actually 20% (sale)) because I believe in our tools. And I think they are a sound investment. We started the forum 3 years ago as a place for our customers to discuss Ridgid products and the professions they are used in. It has changed over the years but I still feel it is just as valuable.

This forum is never going to be perfect. And yes some people will post ignorant false information. And it may not be replied to by an official statement from us. Some of it will. We do desire to improve the forum while keeping it as open a discussion as possible.

Later,

Josh
      I think you have hit the nail on the head...I along with a lot of others I bet, joined this Ridgid forum thinking that it was the Ridgid forum on the Ridgid web site and that this would be the place to find out from Ridgid what's new and what's going on and how Ridgid is going to fix problems we are having with our Ridgid tools...Even the list of topics makes you think that....

But if you are only here to tell us not to fight and remove posts you don't think are good and not help us with problems we might be having or questions we would like answered. It seems like Ridgid is dropping the ball again...Funny they have the money for TV commercials to trick you into buying, but not any to help after the sale...

One good thing about this forum. I have learned that I really don't want a Ridgid band saw or a Ridgid jointer.

Comment

Josh, I was sent an email,a few weeks ago,from Ridgid that said one of the ways that the ts3650 stand issues would be answered was in the forum. This was the answer to my question as to how Ridgid planned to contact us when they had a fix,since CS said they have no way of entering info in there system for unresolved issues and returning back to the owners. At the time they said they were working on a fix for the stand.
        I was able, in the past thru Jake, to have things resolved in the forum as one way. He always came thru for me. He does not have that job now.
        Do you have a specific system now? Why can not a follow up data base be used for problems not resolved such as in response to the email I sent by email. Why did you say the forum is not such a place, when the response to the email I sent said that was one way to look for Ridgid to tell us as to the status for problem resolution?
        Do you know what the policy is? The last phone call to support said I would have to keep calling until they got part numbers for the side panels and they have no way to take my info and send them when they became available. This is not very convenient for the owners. You need to have a clear policy as to how to handle these issues, and the forum unless moderated by someone like Jake, who responded to questions, is not a good place for that.

Comment

This is all very interesting. From what I have just heard about the moderators, I can't quite figure out the purpose of this website anymore. I'm amazed it still is available with the RIDGID sponsorship.

*scratching head*

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by woodworkerjake:
            This is all very interesting. From what I have just heard about the moderators, I can't quite figure out the purpose of this website anymore. I'm amazed it still is available with the RIDGID sponsorship.
            Gosh, Jake; you know there is more to the website than just this Forum.

And Andrew, Josh didn't say that customer service issues and technical questions wouldn't be addressed here. He just said that CS isn't the primary reason we developed the Forum area.

By the way, there is a place on the website to direct those kind of questions and issues, and it's here.

Some moderators are more involved than others. Josh and I try to address all the issues that involve the website, but don't ask us technical questions about the tools.

By the way, pet peeve; people who address emails about customer support and technical issues to "webmaster@ridgid.com". I guess they assume that I will forward them to the right person, but as I pointed out previously, we built a place on the site for that. It's called Contact Us and it's listed under Support.

Comment

Norm,

I understand that there IS more than technical issues. However, there are many web forums for the questions asked here. My reference was specifically that this forum was still around in referrence to "it's sponsored by RIDGID with all their logos, etc pasted all over the forum." It's a little odd when people who do web development and have never picked up a tool for which this site is supporting are moderating a woodworking forum as well. Just my opinion. I like the forum and find it helpful for me and for others. Just surprising is all.

Jake

Comment

Josh and I aren't moderating any of the tool specific areas, just the General Discussion topics.

Comment

Dear Andrew,

I apologize for the delay in response on your TS3650 stand. There are no side braces available at this time. Our product development department is exploring the opportunity at this time and our customers will be made aware when we have the resolution.

Best regards,

Ernie Swords

Director, Service Operations

ernie.swords@owt-inc.com

Norm this was the email, in the post previous was when I asked, How we were going to be informed?,the response was the "forum would be one way". He did not say where on the forum. I did not save that email to show you,but as you can see I did not send a tech question to you. I used the suport area as you suggested. I just think Ridgid should contact us(in a data base list of those who need help) when they solve a problem and not have us continually calling, sending emails etc. when Ridgid knows there is a problem and is working on a solution. How do we know when it is resolved? The response was "call back in a week" or " the forum is one way". This is not acceptable in my opinion,it is a waste of time for all concerned. Should we have to keep looking at the forum(and where was not mentioned) or calling CS? There should be a consistent policy. Previously, Jake, would solve it and we did not have to keep contacting Ridgid repeatedly. I guess we were spoiled by the job he did. I know you are under going changes, but this is not that complicated to have a call back/response list or email notification. I does not look organized.

Comment

Norm and Josh:

I enter this thread with some trepidation. I've been on this forum for a long time, and it was once the first thing I turned to each day when I had a few minutes I could call my own. The forum performed two distinct functions, both quite well: (a) it was a place where folks could ask (and thanks to guys like Dave Arbuckle) get answers to woodworking "how to" questions, and (b) it was a place where folks could ask questions about Ridgid tools: sometimes questions of the customer service sort and sometimes questions about how the tools worked or why they were designed a particular way. These, too, were answered promptly, cheerfully and candidly. Jake Schnarre was a particularly important player, both from the perspective of personifying (in a very flattering way) the Ridgid company and in imparting to the forum a very professional air.

In the process, Ridgid became not just a seller of tools, but an organization for which its customers (and forum members) could develop some loyalty, and felt that loyalty was reciprocated.

In short, the company performed to a very high standard, and that inevitably created the expectation that it would continue to do so.

Then things changed. For better or worse, Ridgid has changed its business plan. The emphasis today is on a larger quantity of smaller-ticket products, and the relationship between the customers and the company has become more at arm's length. There is nothing a priori wrong with such a model, but it is the comparison between the way it is and the way it was that is causing some of the disaffection. It is a bit as if you showed up for a new year in school only to discover that the teachers you were comfortable with had all left and been replaced with folks who were much more business-like.

Let me give you two examples that may better illustrate what I'm trying to convey.

A couple of months ago I went out and bought an MSUV. Truly a great product: far and away the best design for a miter saw stand ever conjured and very nicely implemented. However, one small part was missing. No big deal, but I called the 800 number, spoke to a lady, and she said she'd get one out.

I more or less forgot about the matter for a month or so and then it dawned on me that I hadn't seen the promised part. So I emailed Bob Dueker, and he got it out in two days. But I shouldn't have had to bother him.

A wee bit ago, there was a series of long threads on this forum about the meaning of the "new" Ridgid warranty. Now, to be sure, some folks place entirely too much emphasis on a product's warranty, since if there is a problem, it will almost always become visible very promptly, and the difference between a 1-year warranty and a lifetime warranty is far less than the names imply. But the change from one to another made folks uncomfortable and they started asking questions the gist of which was to have the warranty restated in different language. You know and I know that the Ridgid folks on this forum could not answer those questions, because the essence of a formal written contract is that the contract speaks for itself and you cannot have employees purporting to "explain" it in ways that would end up modifying it. So the questions weren't answered, but no one explained to people why they weren't being answered.

I wish you guys well. Ridgid has always been a neat outfit, making great products and with a well-deserved loyal following. Things are changing and no one knows exactly how the changes will work out, but in the meantime - and I mean by no means to defend incivility - try to understand that your loyal fans are in some distress.

Comment

i think sometimes the forums were being used for personal attacks.. i have done a lot of cruising myself on this forum since i came back from a long hibernation. indeed so much had changed..

Comment

HI My saw is attacking me. How do you do that to a saw. Oh maybe that is what I am trying to get to work is a saw not a person. Should have I addressed this at a person, then I would get a responce on how to get my saw to work or where to find a 1240LZ that works correctly. May I suggest something for whoever. If there are that many problems with these saws and tools, why not have a tool clinic at HD every so often. Where people can bring in there tools and see if it's there tool or themselfs that need fixing.

Just a thought.
                        oops

Comment

What heck the are saying you?

Comment

Me sure not either! You, too?

Comment

Working...
                            X