RIDGID Forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID Forum

I really don't want to do what I am about to do. If any of you were where you could hear me I'd ask you to talk me out of it. But I really do think that it is time to talk about this forum in its own thread. Too many threads are being hijacked from their own deserving topics to try to deal with problems within this forum. I think that it's time to solve our problems in the open where everyone knows what is being discussed and can either follow, or not.

I know that I am not an "old-timer", but I have been following this forum for well over a year. I lurked, as many of you have, trying to gather information on potential purchases and began visiting more often due to the quality of the posts / people here. Eventually I joined and began posting. This is often repeated throughout the membership here.

One recent thread by Caspian (Thanks a lot by the way) discussed member statistics. I suggest that everyone who did not read that post do so. What it showed is that a large number of our most recent members are disappearing. For whatever reason, people are interested enough to post, but quickly leave.

Internally, some members here are taking information posted here in good faith and distorting it in other forums. People are arguing and fussing over these issues while the original posting is left unanswered or partially answered.

With the lack of Moderator involvement, it is up to us to solve it on our own. This is the post to make that effort within. This forum used to be about providing information freely, providing assistance to those needing help with problems, and also providing a pat on the back to boost morale when the crunch is on. That's not what this forum is about now!

So, let's see where this leads. Hopefully, this is putting everyone in a ring with gloves on to settle matters. Also hopefully, when the dust settles we'll all shake hands and agree that things are done and get back to the business of this forum.

I'll start things off with the first post. After that, it's up to everyone else to either participate or continue to let this fester. Keep in mind, this is a place for character assassination. It may get rough, but let's keep the punches fair.

I have a problem with all of the negativity that is running rampant. Sane people can agree to disagree. However, it is often frustrating when someone won't discuss, just accuse. I realize this is the RIDGID forum and most everyone here came because of their interest in RIDGID tools. But there are also several coming here just to bash. Not just RIDGID, that I can deal with, but also bashing other members.

You can disagree with me. Sometimes disagreement makes me learn more than agreement. USAirwaysMech and I have disagreed on several topics. They were disagreements that I think both of us agree to disagree about. Thing is, he made me do research to support my own views. I learned a lot more from that than from someone who agrees with me. He also had research to back up his views. I can accept that.

Blind "RIDGID is a Ryobi in orange" is frustrating. I know we are being accused in other forums of being RYOBI cultists, but I don't see that. But most of these posters add insults and sarcastic remarks to their posts instead of just sticking to the facts. Problem is, when you take out their insults and sarcastic remarks, there are no facts. Just opinions based on walking by a tool once in 1987. What crap!

Stick to facts or opinions you can support with research or good sources! Experience with a tool beats reading about it. Reading about it beats speculating about it. And all of them beat making it up.

Comment

spowell,
      I'm glad you posted this, as I was considering doing this as well. I don't consider myself an old timer on the board (joined in September of 2002), nor a frequent poster. Here are my thoughts...

1) We can, and must, be willing to disagree without being disagreeable
      2) In my opinion, this board has started to stray away from being a woodworkers bulletin board, and is heading down the path of becoming a Ridgid fan club
      3) We must stop all personal attacks. Most people are good judges of others. They will know who to trust without someone feeling like they must identify "the idiots"
      4) I own tools from Ridgid, General, Makita, Craftsman, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Delta, etc...No one company has all of the right tools for me. I have little respect for tool brand bigots, but I won't publicly rebuke anyone for acting so
      5) No tool is perfect. When giving people your experience with a tool, point out the good and the bad points
      6) The Ridgid brand has made a major change in their operations. Time will cure the product quality and the customer service problems, so be patient.
      7) I believe this forum is the best place to mention problems with C/S, quality or design. It is our best chance of getting the people who can fix the problems to notice.
      8) When someone criticizes a tool you like, don't take it personally.
      9) When someone praises a tool you dislike, don't take it personally.
      10) Be willing to say "I might be wrong...".

Ok, soap box is put away. Happy woodworking to all.

Paul M.

Comment

It's all my fault. I lost my cool over the band saw issue. That's what started it all. Reguardless what I felt like I had the right to do, I did not.
        I opened a can of negitivity, it's a poison, and it's infecting everyone. Personal self control is the only hope we have.
        John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

John,
          I don't believe that for a minute, and neither should you! You are someone who's opinion I greatly appreciate, and who's posts I always read.
          Paul

Comment

I'll second that Paul M.

Woody,

I don't think that the problem is people posting experiences or opinions. I think the problem is how they are posting it. I don't want to get on the soapbox again, I'm on it enough in the other topic. I had hoped to shift those involved over there into this topic so that it could be reasonably discussed.

I agree with Paul M. about everything he posted. I realize that this forum will always be more pro-RIDGID than most simply because it is RIDGID's forum. But where people could post for and against products previously, now people are afraid of what will follow.

Woody, I followed your bandsaw saga closely since I also have the BS. I didn't see you get attacked for expressing your concerns / complaints. I hope most did like I did and check the items you had problems with. But lately everything is personal. We need to get beyond that and back to the forum we all joined. I would hate to see this forum become another WoodNet.

Comment

I too have been reading with great dismay all the non-woodworking issues. Thought I had found someplace to ask questions and get answers from more knowledgable people than myself, not wanting them to always agree. I like to cruise this website to see what the questions are and what the responses are so that I may learn something without asking. Anyway, to all those who freely share their hard earned knowledge, let me say thank you and may I be the first on this site to say Happy Holidays to all.
              Ted

Comment

When Ridgid announced they wpould no longer make our tools, the pot dropped in the fire. It seemed everyone was on the Neg. side and because the Ridgid Moderators did not step in with even a reply,howdy,or hi, This for um just seemed to implode on the negative material and thoughts. We all felt in the past that we had Jake to rely on until Ridgid canned him. Yes we got new Ridgid people, but they don't seem to care like Jake did. Even I abandon Ridgid when I purchased a new Jet Cab. Saw instead of the 3612 I really wanted. This is not saying that there is no Ridgid equipment in my shop (In fact it is about 50/50). There were times when I felt the need to support Ridgid because of the newbies attacking "The web site" or "The ugly orange" etc. Now the web site is OK and the Orange isn't as bad as one and all thought it would be. Yes,there are some problems with the new tools, and I'll surely hope they get them smoothed out. At this time I am not anti-Ridgid and as I said in the past "Hell with *****in' and lets make sawdust. Rick (Rad Realist) To everyone -- Have a great Christmas. Sorry it is so long!

Comment

What has happened. I have been away for a while involved in other things, and when I come back WOW. First I find out that Jake is no longer here and then I start looking at posts. Does not appear that this is the same forum that it used to be. At one time this was the best forum that I was involved with, but now I am afraid that it is following the lead of so many others with nothing but complaints and flame wars. All I can say is this is sad, and I hope it gets back to what it was before.
                  -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

Originally posted by RRitch:
                    What has happened. I have been away for a while involved in other things, and when I come back WOW. First I find out that Jake is no longer here and then I start looking at posts. Does not appear that this is the same forum that it used to be. At one time this was the best forum that I was involved with, but now I am afraid that it is following the lead of so many others with nothing but complaints and flame wars. All I can say is this is sad, and I hope it gets back to what it was before.
                    I recommend you read all the posts and get up to speed on the new Ridgid...then you will understand what happened..while you were gone....

Comment

I am very new to reading the forum, but it appears some people just have the habit of criticizing everything and anything someone else likes. Can't change that. Like I heard somewhere don't remember where some negative remarks on the ridgid drill chuck, and hints of made in China. The 1/2in chuck on the x2 drill I got is made by Jacobs and I think it says made in Germany underneath it. That is a good chuck. My x2 has a slight play in the front bearings, but it is not the chuck. The drill still works fine, I drilled one inch holes through six inch concrete and used it for mixing buckets of thinset mortar instead of my old 1/2 in corded drill. The gearbox helps a lot but the drill just powers right through everything and sounds very smooth an unstrained. The handling and control placement is very nice. I got the 12v. to save weight. It was a total bargain. I see no resemblance to the Ryobi tools and even if they are made by the same company, it is a different design and different specs. Just like GM makes little cheap cars and big expensive ones.

Comment

The problem of personal attacks and overly negative generalizations about tools is detectable on just about every WWing forum I've visited. Some are worse than others due in part to the level of moderation and the member requirements. It tends to flare up and die down a bit depending on topics and people participating.

I enjoy good debate/discussion about tools, techniques, materials, and merchandising etc. It's a really great education about a passion of ours and should be encouraged. Too often a broad negative and largely unfounded opinion is posted from someone with an obvious hostile attitude. It is so much more beneficial to let us know what the dislike is or why the opinion was formed.

Facts when possible, reasons for an opinion if there's no facts, no response if there's neither.

Comment

The problem of personal attacks and overly negative generalizations about tools is detectable on just about every WWing forum I've visited.
                          That has been my experience as well, and for the most part I accept that. However, One of the things that I liked best about this forum was that it was not like that here. Of course there were far fewer registered users then. I guess this is what you could call growing pains.
                          -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

Guys,
                            We really are trying to fight the personal attacks on the forum. Some actions go unnoticed but we do try to prune out posts with personal attacks as well as warn the people making the attacks.
                            Some posts may be percieved as personal attacks by some members. We have targeted the more blatant attacks for action. If we "deal" with every controversial post then even more members would complain that posts that they feel need to be dealt with are being left alone.
                            We will step in on name calling and direct insults. Some members feel that if someone disagrees with their post then that is a direct insults or esentially calling them a liar by disagreeing with them. Everyone just has to remember that there are always going to be differing opinions on just about everything you could post. And yes some of the replys refuting a statement are just straight up incorrect statements about the products. In most cases members point out the false info. We have posted a ton of replies to the same issues being brought up over and over. Especially dealing with the warranty. If you want an official statement on each and every thread that argues a topic please do a search on the forum and post a link to the threads where Brandman or one of us makes a statement to back up you argument.
                            I'm sorry if you feel that the moderators of this forum are dropping the ball. We are trying to keep this forum as open as posible. We don't like the guys that come in and post negative things about us without having ever touched the tools or used them. But I feel that those posts are usually very obviously incorrect and unfounded.
                            One last thing... PLEASE... if you feel that a post needs moderator attention then hit the allert icon (whistle icon) at the bottom of the post. This will send us notification of the thread and we will take a look at it and evaluate wheather it needs our attention.

Thanks for your concern for the forum,

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh:
                              I'm sorry if you feel that the moderators of this forum are dropping the ball.
                              Josh
                              Josh,

If that is directed at me, than I must apologize if that is what it sounds like I am saying. I was not questioning the moderators, just what has changed. I have been doing some reading and it seems like there may be a few bad apples that like to turn posts into personal attacks, but it looks like there is still alot of good information here as well. BTW I actually came back to post my observations between the TS 2424 that I own and the TS 3650 that my dad just bought, but that seems to be a sore subject so I think I will hold off on that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X