X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok sharpening still kicking my butt

I have a veritas jig set up. i am using constant pressure. I used the 60X norton sandpaper suggested to change the bevel of the blade. it got nice and even and then started to wear uneven??? WHY???? pls help as i am pulling my hair out! Thanks Papadan for the help in the image.

[ 03-12-2005, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: spacebluesonoma ]
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Thanks again Papadan

Comment

Use a square and see if the factory bevel and leading edge is square to the blank. If it's not, then there lays the culprit.

Speed is not neccessarily better. Slow steady strokes keeping things in track can also help eliminate this problem (experience).

The jig has a flaw. The round set screw does allow the blank to pivot if too much pressure is exerted downward, and your strokes wonder.

FYI, this is why I keep what remaining hair I have left too short to get ahold of!

Woody
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Thanks woody

The first thing i checked was the square. it must be too much pressure. slow even pressure is what i thought i was doing but obviously not. Will keep trying. Have 2 cheap sets i want to change the bevels on for different uses (and practice) before my Bahco's will ever see the stone.

Thanks again

Comment

That is a good idea! I did pretty much the same thing when I started. Though the stones are expensive, it is cheaper to ruin cheap chisels than expensive ones with trial and errors. I purchase a couple cheap sets from harbor freight, which I use for all work needing use of a wooden mallot. My Freud set will never see anything hitting the handle end. The worse use they get is all the force I can apply by hand. And with a good edge, that doesn't take much.

Just holler if I can be of any further assitance.

Woody
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Ed, if it is any consolation my chisels looked like that in the beginning. I tryed to fix it by skewing the chisel in the jig to remove more metal from the side that needed it and was very surprised to find that it had little to no effect. To correct the problem I had to train my hands to apply even pressure across the edge of the blade. To do this I used a black permanent marker to blacken the sharpening face and then take a few (2-3) strokes on the fine stone then look at the face to see where I was rubbing off the marker. If there was more wear on one side than the other I would make an effort to apply less pressure to the side that was wearing faster which for me was always the right side (opposite of your problem - any chance you are left handed?). Another trick is to look at the swarf being produced, if there seems to be more swarf on one side than you know you are pressing harder on that side.

--Nice to see you back Woody--

[ 03-15-2005, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: wbrooks ]

Comment

wbrooks,

I am not trying to be a smart aleck in case the word is misspelled, but have never heard the term "swarf" before? What is that?

Jerry
              It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Jerry, no problems, the whole intent here is to help each other learn. Swarf (swôrf) is defined as Fine metallic filings or shavings removed by a cutting tool. In this case if you look closely at the area where you are grinding your blade you will see black stuff (swarf) floating around in your cutting lube. If there is more on one side of the chisel or other you know you are removing more metal from that side and thereby putting more pressure on that side of the chisel

Comment

WB Thanks. That is exactly what it was. I was applying too much pressure. I took it of the 50X and down to a finer grit and pretty much got it ready to go on the arkansas stones! But that is exactly what my problem was, pressure. Thanks to papadan for the help in the photo department. Now I do have one stupid question as lee valley has not answered my email and I can not find the directions for the jig, there is a wheel on the jig obviously, there is also a knob on the side of the jig. What the hell does it do. I have tinkered with it and it does not appear to increase or decrease tension on the wheel?? Why is it there?

And thanks in advance for not laughing at me!

Comment

The knob is for adding a micro-bevel. Start with the arrow pointing up and hone your primary bevel. Now when you move to your finest stones tweek the knob 90* either direction for a 1* micro or 180* for a 2* micro bevel. Now that I have typed all that I just remember that the instruction are available on the LV site. For any tool you buy at LV go to that page on their website and click on the INSTR link where you would click to add to your cart
                    Bevel Guide Instructions

Comment

Wail Dam, you guys are messin with me. I might just have to look at getting me one of those sharpeing jigs. I have always used a file for rough sharpenning and then a regular Arkansas stone and a couple drops of oil to sharpen anything in my shop
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks WB, the obvious as usual right in front of my face. Papadan, yeah this jig is great, ESPECIALLY on the arkansas stones!

Comment

Working...
                        X