Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD And Common Sense

Rant On

Just got home from a trip to the big orange box. There was a big display of Scotts lawn care products and spreaders that caught my attention. I just fired my lawn care provider and will be doing it myself from now on.

At the display were brochures about lawn care and a form to send into Scotts for a free HD Gift Card valued from $5 to $20 depending on the dollar value of your purchase. I had already made up my mind to use Scotts products so I purchased a broadcast spreader and some different formulas of fertilizers.

When I went to fill out the form for my free Gift Card I noticed that the offer expired on May 1,2003, that was 9 days ago. For 9 days after this promotion was over, HD has displayed to customers a rebate offer that has expired! If the program is over its over, I have no problem with that but take down the advertising when it ends!! Even though the program is over and my purchase doesn't qualify I somehow feel that I have been cheated.

Rant Off

P.S. RIDGID woodworking tools were not on sale or marked down either.

[ 05-09-2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Par for the course...HD's has the worst employees of any major corporation. Although there are a few glaring exceptions, this is the norm. Unfortunately the management isn't much better. I called our local HD's one day to ask the manager if employee parking included taking up three spaces (several of the emps were doing it...and they all had less than impressive vehicles...it wasn't like they all had Shelby's or Vettes)...to this day they continue to park this way and block up to eight spaces where the contractors park. I have yet to get any answers from emailing on the problem and probably never will.

They're building a new Lowe's very close to the HD where I go...they'll be getting most of my business from now on..they are definitely a better outfit and the prices are right with HD on everything...not to mention they usually have much better quality lumber.

So, I'm with ya buddy...HD is going to the dogs just about everywhere....

[ 05-09-2003, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: KellyC ]
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

My turn. <rant on> When I purchased $3K worth of building materials for my remodel project, i saw a sign in the shingle isle saying they had free delivery on purchases over $400, When checking out, I told them I wanted my stuff delivered and they informed me of a delivery charge ($50). I metioned that I thought it would be free and they stated that they never gave free delivery. I took them to the sign and they quickly pointed out that it was an old sign that had expired. They made me pay for the delivery anyway.

Kelly, be careful what you wish for. HD here was the only game for a few years. Then came Lowes. As bad as the service is here at HD, it is even worse at Lowes now. it only took them two years to become that bad. And... they never have any of the plumbing stuff I'm looking for

Comment

I hope that doesn't happen here...Lowe's in Dallas is heads and hands above the HD experience...they don't have near the market share here...hope they stay true.
        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

When Home Depot first came to be they had the best customer service anywhere. ANYWHERE! Handy Andy and Builders Square went away, Menards opened, and Home Depot was still the only game in town. You save big money at menards because they never have everything you need to complete your job or project. Now Home Depot has built up that reputation for great customer service and now they are beginning to slip. We all already go because the home depot more often than not has everything we need and the prices are fair. A theory is now that they have us they can let their customer service slip as they have already won us over. I do have a Lowes nearby, but not as close as my nearest home depot. And in all honesty....the Lowes here doesnt seem to have the same selection and stock as the HD carries. My friends I am afraid we are stuck. Until a new home improvement superstore opens and tries to give HD a run for the money....i am afraid they might have us. We have been taken ladies and gentlemen...its not our fault...but it is something we have to deal with. and at least we have a forum to vent in
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I have two Lowe's and four HD's within twenty minutes of me.

Take your pick, some days I get service and knowlege---and others, nada.

I have, lately, started looking for newer employees to ask questions. Example: Needed some straps from Simpson Strong Tie Co. Looked them up on Simpson's web site and went to HD. Two guys I recognized spent twenty minutes finding out it would take 7-10 working days to get the straps in. Went back next week and a young lady working part time did the order---looking up HD's SKU and ordering the straps in five minutes. Why? Cause she cared!

Today, went with the LOML to get some paint and glaze. Again, a young lady helped us. Nice attitude, very efficient. Mixed the stuff and I asked her how long she had worked there, since I hadn't seen her before. "This is day three," she smiled.

Lowe's doesn't have folks who can mix half the time. They say Hi! and disappear. Or, when asked a question, say, "I don't know. Let me see if I can find someone who can answer it." If I wait longer than five minutes---I'm gone.
            Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

It's definitely all attitude, K.L. I've had really good luck with my neighborhood HD when it comes to customer service. They have a pretty good bunch of people. But the people at the local Lowes? Most of them couldn't find their butt with both hands. I did a lot of business with Lowes the first year we moved into our new old house but since HD was built, that is where I go. And they definitely have better selections, especially when it comes to quality lumber. At least that's my local experience with the two.

The point about newer employees being more helpful is pretty much the same with every business. It burns me up that a new restaurant -- even something a simple as a burger joint -- opens and the food is really good for a while and before long it's just another choke-n-puke where you get cold, greasy fries and no order is ever correct!

For me, the king of poor customer service is our local Sears. I limit my purchases there to mechanics hand tools that rarely need replacing.

Comment

After several weeks of waiting, called nearest HD to learn that Ridgid stopped making the Mitre Gauge I had ordered for my BS1400 band saw. At least the nice gentleman on the phone assured me he's do all he could to try to pull together all the accessories I ordered and get them to me ASAP. Hope it works out.
                I didn't want to buy the competition but am disappointed that Ridgid seems to be letting us down.

Comment

Right after I said that about the HD employees...I had a weird thing happen at my local store. I believe in giving credit where it's due and there were two employees that went out of their way to help me Tuesday...here's the letter I wrote to HD's with the details...there's hope!!!

I had a situation today where the POS system went down just as my Paypal debit card was
                  returning an authorization code to the system. Just afterwards, it seemed the system had refused
                  the card as it was offline. The truth was that Paypal had already sent the authorization, so that
                  when we ran it through again, it was declined. I had the transaction voided while I contacted
                  Paypal for help with the situation.

They informed me that they had authorized the transaction and that to re-run the card we would
                  have to wait 24 hours after your office faxed an ok to reset the card. The head cashier asked the
                  Pro Desk for help and we tried to re-ring the ticket and apply the card number and authorization
                  code manually, but to no avail as since the card company had already sent an authorization, a
                  second one would put me over my available cash.

That's when Heather stepped in and offered to help. She got the card and the info I had from
                  Paypal and started to call them. She had said that sometimes if the merchant calls them, they will reset the card a lot quicker.

She also got Judy involved and the two of them got both Mastercard and Paypal on separate lines
                  and started to try and work things out so I wouldn't have to wait til the next day to pick up the lumber. Since I had no available help for the next day, this would be a Godsend if they could get it fixed. Both of them tag-teamed Paypal and in the end Heather got them to release the funds
                  within minutes of the fax instead of having me wait 24 hours.

Both Heather and Judy were very helpful and were working feverishly to get the CC company to
                  react quickly to a time-sensitive situation.

This is a great example of going out of your way to provide customer service. It has been years
                  since I have seen anyone go this far for anyone else without knowing them personally. Had it not
                  been for Heather and Judy, I would have gone through a rodeo trying to get help to load and
                  unload the lumber order the next day.

There are several employees of yours that are very good at what they do everyday (Joe, Danny,
                  Elzalia, Marie)...it's really nice to see that you have added two more to that group in Heather and Judy.

Please make sure they all know that they are very much appreciated!

Thank You,

Kelly C, Hanna
                  Hanna Woodworks

[ 05-15-2003, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: KellyC ]

Comment

Originally posted by Cal:
                    After several weeks of waiting, called nearest HD to learn that Ridgid stopped making the Mitre Gauge ...
                    I'm afraid that this sort of thing will happen more and more in short order. Some parts can easily be damaged on a power tool that gets some use. How many other repair/replacement parts will we start to find are no longer in the storage bins? How many more times will we hear "sorry, but we don't make that any more and the ones that fit the new imports will not work with your saw."

Comment

Can someone from Ridgid please comment on future parts availability. Will the new equipment made overseas be the same as the current products but only differ in manufacturing location? Will the parts be interchangeable?
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Well folks, I didn,t wait to see what was going to happen with Ridgid and now all my Ridgid toys, er, tools now have a new partner with white paint! yes I broke down and bought a Jet Cab. saw. After my inherited old Crapsman saw died again Last Fri. I took the plunge and parted with a (what seems like) pile of bucks. I'm sure that once I get it going I will love it as much as my other tools. Aftertrying to get parts for my old Crapsman and being told they were not available I just flipped out - Told Sears something like, " what's the use of owning a **###^^** Crapsman if ya can't get parts!" Was really looking hard at the Ridgid TS but with all the garbage going down just could not bring myself to put my foot in it. Rick (chicken-I may be)

Comment

Don't feel bad Rick about having a little white paint... [img]smile.gif[/img] I have a little white in my garage too and love it... My 18" Jet bandsaw is as white as can be and runs great... You will enjoy the Jet cabinet saw... I am trending towards possibly having all white equipment one day...
                          Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

I Wasn't saying bad thigs about Ridgid because I have TP,BS,and an EP sitting in my garage and am very pleased with them, I just don't want to get caught in the merry go round of "out of production - no parts" like I've been going through here lately. I looked at Delta also but they had a special where I got a router with the big table and dolly for it! Not cost effective for me but my Partner in crime (WIFE) said to get it before that Capsman got me hurt and believe, it has tried a couple of times. I now have to figure how to get 220 to this new one - Do I want the power coming from the ceiling or across the floor so I can trip over it with my big feet. r

Comment

I'm with Big on this one...looks like white might be a good color for the shop.....maybe even a splash of gold before it's all said and done.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X