Backboard in Kitchen....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backboard in Kitchen....

Was looking for an inexpensive method to replace a 50's backboard in our kitchen (backdrop between the stove and such). We thought about tile but could not find anything we liked. We found a piece of "tileboard" at the local HD that went well with the colors and such in the kitchen. The only problem, i don't know how well it will clean/keep clean given it's surface. it does appear to have a laminate finish despite the fact that it is a matte texture, so it shouldn't be a problem. My thought was to maybe put a polyuerathane over it? A satin type finish so as not to make it stick out. Will this work? Or should we just leave it as is?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Space,

I suppose that would make it a bit more durable, though I don't know exactly what the end result would look like. However, not knowing your colors, there is something I used in our half-bath, that I found to be perfect. It is a fiberglass, beaded panel that comes in 4 x 8 and longer sheets. It is impervious to steam, water, grease, chemicals etc. It comes in various colors too. My local HD only has white, but the local Lowes caries almond, and at least one other color. HD has it in the same isle as their tile board. Both stores have it stored flat, as it is only about a 3/32 thick. You apply it with tile cement. I'll see if I can find a link and then edit this.

Here ya go, the material is called "Sequential Structoglas" and size color and price can be found here: http://www.kemlite.com/structoglas/str_products.cfm

Here is a brief description:

Sequentia Structoglas

- Sanitary
    Stain, mildew, mold and bacteria resistant.

- Impact Resistant
    High strength-to-weight ratio.
    Won't scratch or dent like metal.

- Never Needs Painting
    Textured surface resists scratches and abrasions for a finish that lasts.

- Easy To Install
    Use standard tools and FRP adhesive

- Durable
    Resistant to shrinkage and expansion due to moisture

Structoglas frp, is an easy-to-clean wall and ceiling panel made of fiberglass reinforced plastic. Structoglas will not rot, corrode, stain, dent, peel, or splinter in the toughest conditions. Structoglas panels install as easily as common wall board on solid substrates.

Structoglas is available in different colors and finishes, and can be cut and drilled for easy installation. Accessories such as moldings and rivets are also available to complete the installation.

The current 4 x 8 ft sheets are about $29.97 ea. and the surface is very easliy cleaned.

Hope this helps,

CWS

[ 10-14-2005, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

Yeah I saw exactly what you are talking about. Actually i bought the board we went with at Lowes not HD, my mistake, and the almond they had was way too bright for our kitchen, white would have looked terrible. And my wife did not like the texture. The board we went with is "Styleline, butterscoch suede" item number 60962 at lowes

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx...687&hierarchy=

Thanks

Comment

I wouldn't use the product you chose for that application. I have been in wholesale lumber sales and distribution for 25 years and have sold loads of all types of wall paneling over the years. The GP Styleline product you picked out is composed of a MDF back with a paper overlay face. If you put that on a wall behind a stove it will be exposed to a great deal of steam from boiling pots and grease from frying. That will soak into the paper overlay and substrate, and may even cause the overlay to seperate from the substrate. MDF also does not like high moisture and may expand and buckle on the wall. I think your idea of putting a coat of poly over the panel is equally a bad one. Better to choose a different product. If you want a relatively inexpensive product that is easy to install, go with a tile board. These are manufactured with a high density harboard backer with a melamine overlay backed onto the surface. Very easy to clean and will hold up to the tough environment behind a stove. Come in numerous patterns, florals, colors, etc. Barker-Tile is the premier product in the industry. Also the most pricey but it's top of the line. http://www.barker.ca/barker/
        They have a search site for a store locator near you to help you find the product. There are cheaper similar brands that will also do the job. I'd take what you have bought back, I don't think you'll be happy with the result in a few months or years.

Comment

When we replaced an old Tapan range with a GE we found that the wall behind the tall control panel on the old range wasn't finished and we wanted a quick fix so we wouldn't have to pull the range out again. I measured the area we needed to cover and went to HD and found a mirror the exact width we needed. I put 2 cleats on the wall for the bottom of the mirror to sit on and 3 dabs of const. adhesive on the back of the mirror at the top. 25yrs later it's still there and looks nice.

Comment

as far as tile goes you can make your own go to any ceramic place you can paint them the color that you like i have done this a few times and runs around $1-$1.50 ea i know it is alittle pricey but you get the colors you really want might not be what you want to do but it gives you the idea and i also agree the tile borad may look ok but it wont last a year the heat and steam will soon take its toll
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

well after getting in contact with the one company suggested here they had no distributors in the area for me. They were going to ship me a piece cut to my size direct, but it was too much to ship. Everyone else in the area had nothing in a nice color. So rather than spec order something site unseen, we went with tile.

Thanks for the advice all

Comment

Dont use the mdf w/laminate. The heat will discolor the laminate. This is my experience. The steam did not effect the mdf or separate the laminate. I replaced it after about 10 years of use. It discolored in only a few years.
                www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Anybody have any experience with these self stick metal tiles. They look easy, but I can't find them at any local retailers and I don't want to order them and find that they're junk and have to send them back. I need to cover up all the backsplashes in my kitchen. The only thing that comes to mind is 'a mold problem' if they don't seat tight.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/P...9x&dept%5Fid=1

Comment

Working...
                  X