Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Grizzly hunting trip

Hi all,
    Last week I posted that I was going to the Grizzly showroom in Muncy, PA. So this past weekend we went, and all I can say is: WOW
    Row after row of hundreds of bright shiny woodworking and metalworking stationary power tools. All perfectly assembled and spotlessly clean. They even had a girl going around dusting and polishing them.
    They have their own snack bar and customer lounge with widescreen TV and leather easy chairs. That place makes Home Depot's tool corral look like, well, what it looks like.
    The personnel were courteous, knowledgeable, and eager to help. Spent about 4 hours there and didn't come home empty handed. Here's the goodies.

G7946 5 spd floor stand radial arm drill press.
    G1182HW 6" x 47" jointer
    G0555 ultimate 14" bandsaw
    G1029Z 2 HP dust collector with .3 micron bag and chip seperator.

My little Ford Ranger was squattin pretty low all the way home.
    It was a 500 mile overnight round trip, but I saved about $200 in shipping charges and got to lay my hands on the tools before buying so it was well worth the trip.
    I've started assembling them and will post my assembly experiences when done. Then I'll report on their performance when they're up and running.
    I know this is a ridgid forum (I love my TS3650) but the competition is tough and I couldn't pass up the value and quality of these Grizzly tools.
    Sorry for the extended gloat, but I couldn't help myself.
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Nice haul! A buddy of mine and I made that trip a couple of years ago. We were like a couple of teen age boys with a wad of cash in a legal and sin free brothel. . The sales people were great. They all smile knowingly at these full grown men running around acting like they're 6 again.

At the time, I didn't think as much of their 1022 series contractor saw, but the new one seems really nice. We came home with a pair of G1029s, that monster 46" 495# radial DP, and an 8" DP for my little shop. He's got a big Dodge dualy with the suspension setup to haul a 5th wheel....it didn't squat for long, but it did move when we put the DP in it!

Did ya get a hat? Enjoy your new stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by hewood:

Did ya get a hat? Enjoy your new stuff!
      Sure did, and a freebie at that!!
      I'm sure I will enjoy the new toys.
      Thanks for the reply.

Do you have your 1029 hooked up to a system or do you hook it up to 1 tool at a time? If I use it on 1 tool at a time, does it have to be grounded to every tool? Seems like a pain to have to ground it every time you swap it to a different tool.
      Lorax

Comment

The 1029 stays put and I run a short 4" PVC main with a couple of wyes, 4" flexible drops, and a couple of blast gates. I've been meaning to go to 5" or 6" main, but just haven't gotten there yet. Haven't gotten to grounding the thing yet either (LOL). I'm only about 70 miles east of you. Since my shop is unheated and it gets so darn cold here from December through February, I don't use it much during the "static" season. I guess the humidity is high enough the other times to prevent static. I'm not recommending others do it this way, it's just the current situation in my shop.

Comment

Lorax,

Congrats on the additions to the shop. Looking forward to your reviews. I don't have a bandsaw but all the positive things I've heard about the Grizzly sure puts it right near the top of my wish list.

Dave
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax:I've started assembling them and will post my assembly experiences when done.
            Here we go. The dust collector went together in about an hour and a half. Piece of cake. Still need to run 220 line to hook it up.
            Drill press took about 2 hours and a helper to mount the head on the column. Another piece of cake. The quill kind of "clunks" twice when I first start to crank it down (about the first 1/2") but then is smooth. I checked the runout by using a dial indicator reading off the shank of a 1/2" drill bit in the chuck and it was only .0025". I'm real happy with that.
            I started assembling the jointer today. What a PITA! About 3 hours in it so far. Took me an hour to get the pulleys aligned. I'm about half done with that assembly. That is all for now. More in a couple days. The bandsaw is next. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-12-2004, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Lorax ]
            Lorax

Comment

Update:
              The jointer is assembled and I ran a test piece thru it.
              Three of the mounting holes on one of the base panels were missing so I got to use my new drill press to drill them out. [img]smile.gif[/img] No big deal.
              I broke the spring on the cutterhead guard, [img]redface.gif[/img] so now I get to test Grizzly customer service.
              Total assembly time - about 6 hrs, plus an hour or so of cleaning and waxing.
              The test piece I ran was just a 2' length of 2x4. Ran 2 adjacent sides and they came out perfectly square and mirror smooth! [img]smile.gif[/img] No adjustments required! [img]smile.gif[/img] I used an engineers square that I made as an apprentice machinist more years ago than I care to remember. It is accurate to .0005" over its 6" length. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
              Tomorrow THE BANDSAW!! Can't wait!
              Just got a reply to my e-mail to Grizzly CS. New spring will arrive in 5-7 business days. No charge. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-13-2004, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Lorax ]
              Lorax

Comment

I broke the same spring on my cutter guard.(LOL....must be something in the WNY air!) It was my fault, but they sent one out right away.

Comment

Update:
                  The bandsaw is up and running. Total assembly time about 4 hrs. After squaring the table to the blade I ran my 2x4 test piece thru it. I set the fence at 3" and cut the length of the board. One end measured 2.981" and the other end measured 2.993". That tells me all the adjustments are pretty much dead on right out of the box. Yes, it vibrates a little, but with results like that, who cares? One thing I noticed is it has a flat grooved belt like my 3650 instead of a v-belt. Just saved $20 on the link belt I won't have to buy. I am one happy woodworker. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  Lorax

Comment

Lorax,

What do you mean by it vibrates a little? Would it pass the nickel test? I've heard many good things about the BS and can't recall, although I do have memory lapses on occasion [img]smile.gif[/img] , ever hearing anything about a vibration problem.

Dave
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave,
                      Well, I finally found a nickle. [img]smile.gif[/img] If I place it on the table perpendicular to the blade, it stands up from start-up thru shut-down. If I place it parallel to the blade, it falls over after a few seconds. Like I said, it is a "little" vibration and I certainly don't consider it a problem. Not bad at all (actually, fantastic) right out of the box. [img]smile.gif[/img] I would definately recommend it to anyone looking for a bandsaw in that price range.
                      I also have occassional memory lapses. LOML says it is "selective". Funny, I don't remember it being that way.
                      Lorax

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax:
                        I broke the spring on the cutterhead guard, [img]redface.gif[/img] so now I get to test Grizzly customer service.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
                        I requested a new spring from Grizzly CS by e-mail at 11:53 PM on Monday 4/12. Received an order number from CS at 9:19 AM on Tuesday 4/13. Received the new spring by first class mail at noon on Thursday 4/15. Now that's customer service! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edited to add: I managed to install this one without breaking it.

[ 04-16-2004, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Lorax ]
                        Lorax

Comment

Nice haul Lorax

I making shift to more and more Grizz stuff if it's something that fits the bill/need.

I've found their CS to be hands down the best I've ever dealt with - impressed is understatement.

Enjoy the goodies
                          Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Hey Cranky - Long time no hear from....where've you been?

Comment

Grizzly has a tent sale in Muncy, PA coming up on the June 19 I believe. I tossed out the flyer but there should be info on their web site.

Comment

Working...
                              X