Wet-Dry attachments - leaf usage; vintage tools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet-Dry attachments - leaf usage; vintage tools

I have a WD09350. I wish I'd bought a model with a larger canister, but otherwise I'm generally happy with it.

I wonder, though, about the design of the attachments: the hoses and extensions fit together so that the inside edges face the incoming airflow. When used for leaves, twigs tend to catch on these edges, leading to clogs.

If the attachments fit together in the other direction (with the inside edges oriented inward, toward the canster), this would not be an issue. [Note that gutters and leaders are designed this way, and even the folds in a bend are designed so as not to impede the flow.]

My workaround has been to bevel the inside edges with a shop knife, and it works fairly well. But this should not have been necessary. Do the higher end models have a better design?

Now on to the canister. The vac works pretty well on the live oak leaves we have down here, but I have to empty it every few minutes (because I opted for the smaller model that was on sale at Home Depot .

My solution was to cut the lid of a Roughneck garbage can to accept the vac head, and mount that on a large rigid (no pun) plastic garbage can, with foam pipe insulation around the edges. The vacuum pressure holds it all together, and by the time I have to empty it I have a full bag worth of leaves.

Hope someone finds this useful.

...Jeff

That's a good idea (adapting your trash can lid to accept the vac head). A few people have made a suggestion that Ridgid offer a vac that could be used atop larger trash cans, I know a few companies do make such a vac but they are mostly commerical models costing much more (Shop-Vac and B&D are two that I can think of right off).

I don't know why the hose sections and accessories are made to assemble in reverse order. As you say it would make more sense for the downstream fiting or hose to be the FM end, which would avoid the problem you mentioned. I've seen this when picking up junk other than leaves too. My old Craftsman shop vac is the same way, and as for as I know all others are too, even hosehold vaccums have their hoses and accessories assemble in this manner too.

The only reason I can see for the method used is that when vaccuming liquids if the pieces connected the reverse of the way they do now then any water inside the hose and/or fittings would probably leak out at the connections when the vac was shut down, as these connections are just a friction fit and not water tight.

Comment

Working...
    X