hp rating on electric motors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hp rating on electric motors

It would be nice if ridgid included hp ratings on all of its products on the website. This could benefit customers when deciding what product they wanted to purchase. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Remember that hp is a completely contrived number and really means very little....look at the amps the tools pull and that will give you a better idea of the tool's power.
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Not sure if you are talking about the woodworking tools or plumbing. As far as the plumbing machine go, there is a HP listed on the website although it does take some looking to find it.

In order to find the HP you must go to the Plumbing Products section, select Drain Cleaning, then select "Drum Machines" or "Sectional Machines" from that menu. From there, choose the machine and a catalog page appears with all the specs, including HP rating.

Hope this helps
      Josh

Comment

There was a lengthy thread on this site not too long ago that you might want to read. It will give you some insights on why Kelly's observation is true.

Comment

The reason I brought this issue up is that I have seen different companies use amperage but when you compare a 15 amp motor from one company to another they rate them at different h.p.. I know there are some ways to explain h.p. vs amps and that is what I was trying to get to the bottom of.

Comment

Here's what they do....some rate the HP of the unloaded motor....some rate the motor under a load...some call the rating "developed" HP (Sears is famous for this one...not sure which method they use, but when you have a universal motor portable bench saw rated at 4.4 hp and our 2424's and 3612's are rated at 1.5hp, you can see there's a problem in the formula that Sears uses).

Anyway, that's why the disparity. If you "decode" the particluar ratings, you could come out with a good comparison of power, but the amps really tell the tale.
            Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Working...
            X