X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting off fence on my 2424

I just assembled my TS2424 last night and I'm very excited to start my projects. First project is to build a home garage workshop. I have VERY limited space that's why I'm cutting off the overhang of my TS2424 front and rear fence. Anyone has any suggestion or comments about this? Once I cut it off I will be able to wheel the saw in and out between two built in workbenches. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

HOLD THAT SAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I would not cut the rails for any reason, one you do you have to replace them if you ever want a larger cutting area. I have a small shop I can get my TS2424 out side by turning it so the side of the saw goes out. It work well for me. Again I woild not cut the rails.
    Dan<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101</a>

Comment

no don't cut the rails. I also have limted space.
      Andy B.

Comment

I'm considering your comments but one more question. Will cutting of the overhang affect the performance of the fence? I don't see that it would but I can't be sure. I know the obvious downside of the shortened fence is less capacity but looking at the fence I see that the front is much more wider than the back which makes the excess overhang useless right? Please give me more advice. Thanks.

Comment

If you slide the fence all the way to one end, note where it sits on the front and back rails. The head is wider, that's why the front rail is larger.

Shortening the rails wouldn't affect the performance, other than the pretty obvious lowered capacity. If you aren't doing any plywood work, lowering the right side capacity probably wouldn't make a bit of difference to you. The left side capacity is a bit of a poser to me anyway, a left-tilt saw really has no need for a left side fence.

Here's the worst case. You shorten the rails, and decide you need the capacity back. Buy another set of rails, I'll bet they aren't _that_ expensive.

Dave

Comment

Dave, you are right about why the front is wider than the back. But you're also right about the use of the left and right fence. I guess I'm not going to cut it after all. I'm just going to build a wooden base cabinet for the saw with the herculift integrated. Thanks for everybody's help.

Comment

"also right about the use of the left and right fence"

Yeah. Mine has no left of blade fence capacity at all: http://users2.ev1.net/~arbuckle/ripping/3090002.jpg

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X