X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOME DEPOT/RIDGID/screwed again!

Hello Everyone. I am brand new to this forum. I hate to get started on a negative,but then again that's why I signed up. To vent my frustration.
    About a year ago I decided to update and up grade my tool box. I started with my screw drivers that were worn and in bad shape. I started looking in the usual places, Snap-on, Crafstman Etc. I wanted something that looked good and felt comfortable and I could make up my own extensive set. I was in my local Home Depot one day and just walked by and noticed several screwdrivers hanging on the wall. The name on them were Ridgid and they were sold seperatley and looked good so I decided they were the ones I would go with. I spent about $90.00 to make a set, which was more or equal too what I could have bought a set of snap-on or SK, or the best that Sears Craftsman had.
    Anyway, I lost a screwdriver the other day and went to Home depot to replace it. Guess what? I know you all ready know. They don't sell them anymore!! I asked why? They couldn't tell me. I called Ridgid. They don't make them any more. They said they only made them for Home Depot for a short while. So now I have no matching set and out a lot of money for nothing. This is what I have always heard about Home Depot and Ridgid. It's here today and gone tomorrow.
    Here's how good reliable companies work.
    I also have a set of SK srewdrivers I bought 20 Years ago. After this deal with Home Depot /Ridgid I decide to try to replace my lost SK screwdrivers. I went on-line and ordered everyone I was missing. Twenty years later they still had the same screwdrivers, same color,handles and everything. When they came in (two days later) they matched my twenty year old set beautifully.
    I was warned when I started woodworking, to not buy anything from Home Depot Concerning Tools and Hardware because the next time you need a replacement or parts you want get them.
    The moral to this story is I have learned my lesson. I will never buy anything made by Ridgid through Home depot. I will never buy any tools of any kind from Home Depot because it's no telling who they will have making them this week. I blame Ridgid as much as I do Home Depot. It is their name on the Screwdrivers, Not Home Depot. Ridgid should not make products if a year down the road they can't replace or guarantee them.

OK now that you have vented, I will say that I agree with you on some things. I own a lot of Ridgid tools and love everyone of them. I bought 2 sets of the screwdrivers and use them every day. I went to buy some for someone and found out they didn't carry them any more. Thats a bummer. I didn't know they stopped making them, just that my local HD quit selling them. They are great tools and I can not understand why Ridgid would stop production of them. I will gladly use mine as long as they last and if you refuse to use them because you lost one, you can just throw them my way and you wont even have to look at them. Do a google search or check Ebay and find a replacement for the lost one. Who knows, you might be able to buy back the one you lost.

[ 01-13-2005, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: papadan ]
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I feel the same way about the Yugo! I'll never buy another one. Count to 10 and have a beer, it's only a screwdriver. BTW, why are you blaming Home Depot? It was Emerson/Ridgid who discontinued the product, HD had no say at all in the matter.

But, venting is good for the soul so welcome to the asylum.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Just to reply. Yeah it is only a screwdriver,but that's not the point. I have been a body repair man for 30 years and bought most of my tools of the tool trucks. and I can still buy a replacement for any set of anything I have.So, I know.. Then why didn't I buy from the truck then? Again I went away from my norm and didn't realize that big tool makers like ridgid didn't operate like other big tool makers. they should not make anything, screwdrivers or whatever if we can't get the same thing a year from now. The reason i'm down on Home depot is for the same reasons from all the other post i have read about HD. I am told they hire these companies to make products for them and then they later decide they don't want to sell them anymore.
        Again, I'm hoping these post are monitored by Ridgid and maybe even Home Depot and they'll learn something from their consumers.
        I will say this, I am a Jack Of All Trades, And all my plumbing tools are ridgid. And I think they are the best!. But if Ridgid is going to branch out they need to stick with it. It really makes me wonder now that I bought there table saw and 13" planer if i done the right thing.
        Again I have a Delta 14" band saw i bought in 1987. I just got in a set of belts for it I ordered. Fifteen years old and can get the same parts and band saw today.

OK I'm done..
        Thanks guys.

Comment

Just remember in your evaluation of the company, that the plumbing tools you own have been made here for 80+ years. The RIDGID branded power tools and hand tools are made for Emerson by outside sources with the RIDGID name on them.

They really are two different types of products. Just like with your professional screwdriver that you can get a match for 30 years later, you can probably get some parts for your 50 year old professional threading machine. Consumer tools are just that: consumable.

That said, I've got Craftsman's set of professional screwdrivers gathered through about 1995-2002. Can't get a single matching screwdriver today. Now there's a different professional screwdriver. There was a different set before mine...
          Steve
          www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Steve,
            I appreciate your reply. Maybe you can tell me something i have wondered since finding out that Ridgid power tools are made by someone other than Ridgid and they just have Ridgid's name on them.
            Why would Ridgid risk their reputation and brand name and quality products to companies that apparently may jepordize their reputaion they have built over the years.
            I started buying my woodworking tools & machinery the minute i seen the Ridgid name on them. I said man, if there power tools are anything like the ridgid plumbing tools, they have got to be the best. I did not know at the time that they were made by someone else and they just had the Ridgid name on them.
            I am a consumer, we all are, professional or not. I am a consumer who buys quality products. I buy qulaity products by brand names. That's how I know, or assume they are quality products. I know the world is all screwed up these days, but why in the world would a great established company like Ridgid, risk their reputation? I guess I am a little naive(I didn't even know it). But i really thought when i started investing in Ridgid power tools and hand tools from Home Depot that I was buying the same Quality Brand name I had bought for years.And like you said i have thirty year old taps and dies made by Ridgid that i can get replacements or parts for today. And i did assume the same when i stared investing in their power tools.
            And i guess you can see why the next time i'm looking for tools and I see Ridgid, I'm gonna say. Hmmm don't think so.May say ridgid, but not ridgid.

Thanks
            DBARBER

Comment

All that over a screw driver!____?
              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
              Be safe out there folks
              Bob B
              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

I agree, I bought a cordless tool set based on the Ridgid reputation, and I'm not very satisfied. We have a threading machine that is older than I am, and other tools that my grandfather used to use, but when my drill crapped out, I checked the badge and saw that it was made in China. Sad. I expected better than that. No wonder they offered a lifetime warranty on the early kits...

Comment

I own just about all Ridgid Tools-4 Piece Cordless Combo, Cordless Jig Saw, Cordless Hand Plane, TS3650 Table Saw, MS1250LZ Miter Saw, TP1300 Thickness Planer, JP0610 Joiner Planer, EB4424 Belt/Spindle Sander,AF3000 Air Filtraton System-Zero Problems-No breakages-No Downtime-These toools are my livelihood...without them I don't eat-go buy all this stuff and when somehting breaks, then come back here and gripe...
                  It's just a screwdriver.

[ 01-15-2005, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: swhalen ]

Comment

Guys, Guys, Guys, Some of you are missing the point. It's not about the screwdriver. It's the principle. I went to buy a quality product. The Ridgid name at one time stood for quality. I think everyone would agree with that. And a screwdriver that say'a ridigd isn't Ridgid. I can't replace it. That's not what I remember about Ridgid.All I'm saying is this is certainly going to infuence my decision on buying anything made by Ridgid in the future. And yes I am dissapointed in them. I didn't buy a srewdriver. I spent a $100.00 for what I thought was a quality product that could be warrantied or replaced.
                    AS far as me [QUOTE] Griping or [QUOTE] all this for a screwdriver, I'm just doing what we do on forums. Talk, share Idea's,and yes gripe or complain.
                    I just like replying to replies.

Comment

Originally posted by DBARBER:
                      Steve,
                      I appreciate your reply. Maybe you can tell me something i have wondered since finding out that Ridgid power tools are made by someone other than Ridgid and they just have Ridgid's name on them.
                      Sorry, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that question. *Way* above my level.
                      Steve
                      www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I think this whole discussion re the lost screwdriver is missing a key point. To a very large extent the manufacturing of tools -- both power tools and simple hand tools has been farmed out to plants in China and Malaysia, etc. Go look at the full selection of power tools for sale at Home Depot or Lowe's. You will find they are made in a half dozen different countries...almost none made in the USA. (Milwaukee still has significant US production, but even Milwaukee farms out work to China. Porter Cable and DeWalt has some US production)
                        When a company like Ridgid decides to expand its product line beyond its traditional line of plumbing tools, it is not the old familiar Ridgid Company whose product you are getting when you buy a drill or a screwdriver, as opposed to a "true" Ridgid pipe cutter, for example. What you are getting is a product manufactured in China by any one of a number of faceless manufacturing plants there that has been contracted with to produce a line of tools for a limited period of time at an agreed upon price -- a price that is way below what production would cost here. When this production run comes to an end, there is little likelihood that the product will be well supported by whomever imported into the USA. The cordless "Ridgid" drill/driver that comes off the production line at "Guangdong Manufacturing Plant # 13"(or whatever)is very likely to be identical in all respects to the Milwaukee, Bosch or Hitachi drill/driver that comes off the same Chinese production line. Only the cosmetics of the tool housing are changed to give the consumer the impression he is buying something unique and identifiable and that has a true lineage in the product line of an old established and respected company.
                        Don't get me wrong. A lot of good stuff is made in China and other places where labor is cheap. But you are not going to get the same kind of long term product support in this fast changing global market as you did when you were dealing with old-line domestic companies, where most of their production was sold to tradesmen and not to consumers, and where most, if not all, of the manufacturing and costomer service was US based.

Comment

Originally posted by John J:
                          ......The cordless "Ridgid" drill/driver that comes off the production line at "Guangdong Manufacturing Plant # 13"(or whatever)is very likely to be identical in all respects to the Milwaukee, Bosch or Hitachi drill/driver that comes off the same Chinese production line. Only the cosmetics of the tool housing are changed to give the consumer the impression he is buying something unique and identifiable and that has a true lineage in the product line of an old established and respected company...........
                          I totally disagree with that. It may well be true that different tool companies are using the same offshore production facilities but I'm sure that each different tool makers' production run is made to their own specificaions. If you take apart a made in China Delta drill/driver and a made in China Ridgid drill/driver, there is no way that the guts will look identical and more than likely many of the components will be made using different material.
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Badgerdave makes a fair point. I overstated my point to some extent. Many things are made in China (and elsewhere) according specs provided by the company whose name appears on the tools. But we are, I'm afraid, moving fast toward a time when not only production is outsourced, but also design and material selection. A "name brand" company is now very likely to simply go, for example, to an offshore manufacturer and say, "We need a 14.4 volt compact cordless half inch drill/driver. We need 40,000 of them over the next two years in equal bimonthly shipments. This is what we want to pay for them. These are our basic requirements for the bearings, the motor, the chuck and the battery. Can you deliver?" What makes such an offshored product a Bosch or Hitachi or a DeWalt is not the same as we would have thought it to be twenty years ago --- when such a product would have been produced in a Bosch or Hitachi or a Black & Decker facility.
                            But the upside of this change is that there is now a better and wider range of tools available to the professional and do-it-yourselfer, than ever before. The downside is that a given tool is not likely to have a clear pedigree, and a phone call to the "brand name" on the tool may not result in the kind of knowledgable service and familiarity with the tool that once was more the norm...especially after the tool is a few years old.

Comment

Working...
                            X