X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Cameras not wood working

I amthinking about getting a digital camera.. does anyone have one that is VERY GOOD and wont break the bank... I have done some research and am even more confused than when I started looking. The tech stuff is overwelming and I do not understand at this time. I want god photoes, oad the PC and store and email them. ANY HELP will be GREAT.. Thanks Doc [img]redface.gif[/img]

Doc

Send me a private email at datatran@datatran.ca. I will assist as much as I can.

Comment

I've got an Olympus DL-340 digital cam. Got it a few years ago for about $250, but it's been very well worth the price I paid. It takes great photos, even on the lowest quality setting. You could probably get a comparable model today for a lot less then I paid.
      Marcus Rinaldi<BR>Service Tech<BR>F&W Heating & Cooling

Comment

Doc

It depends on a lot of factors, which is why making a buy is so complex. If you want something with a lot of flexibility, I would recommend the Nikon Coolpix line. I have a 995 I think is great. If you're looking for an easy interface to your PC, the Kodaks work with a docking station. And the Sonys that write directly to CD have a high cool factor.

Here is a site that offers recommendations according to what you intend to use the camera for. Imaging Resource

Comment

Doc --

I just got an Olympus D-460 last Friday, and used it to take a series as I assembled my new TS3612. I am very pleased with it, as an entry into the digicam world. Exposure and color are right on. It will make good prints up to 5x7, and of course also email sizes too. It is straightforward to operate. Just read the manual, though, before you try to erase an image, or you will erase the whole card like I did!

The camera has been around for a couple of years. New they are about $300, but I got mine as a factory refurb for about $140 through an Amazon.com associate.

Altho you won't be buying film for it, there are some extra startup costs, like a charger and a couple sets of NiMH batteries ($ka-ching!), a smartmedia card reader ($$ka-ching!), and a larger-capacity smartmedia card ($$ka-ching). That all added up to another $130 or so. You just have to remember you'll never make trips to the cash register for film and processing.

You will find a detailed review and sample photos for this camera at Olympus D-460 Review

Good luck,
          Tony<br /><a href=\"http://www.mindling.com/passages\" target=\"_blank\">www.mindling.com/passages</a>

Comment

One of the first questions needs to be what you are going to do with the pictures, thus how much resolution you need. I cut all the pictures on the web and e-mail to only 300 pixels high or fewer, so the megapixel cameras aren't directly used. But you do need megapixels for bigger prints. See my paper at http://www.plesums.com/image/resolution.html for a discussion of resolution required (among other topics).

The second factor is the quality of the lens. I found that my old Nikon Coolpix 950 takes better pictures than other cameras at higher resolution, apparently because of the great Nikon lenses. I love my Nikon, and several of my friends have gotten great bargins on the older models or used cameras in the 950-990-995 series.

Tony M was right about the accessories. I found that Alkaline (disposable) batteries were good for X amount of pictures and playing, and NiCad (ordinary rechargeable) batteries were good for 2X use. Then I found that premium NiMH rechargeable batteries provided 3-4X use per charge. So multiple sets of rechargeable batteries and new chargers to allow vacations without recharging. The memory card that allows me to keep 240 pictures in the camera (at the resolution I use) only cost about $30 on sale, and the faster computer interface about $15. But the biggest "option" for the camera was a new computer since I wanted to enhance, edit, and crop the pictures and the old PC was pretty slow. For photo editors I recommend Paint Shop Pro, version 7 or later, available for about $100 - it is FAR better than the free image software that comes with most cameras.

Comment

I am extremely happy with my Nikon Coolpix 995. There are many factors that you need to consider when purchasing a digital camera; such as, cost, resolution, primary use, flexibility, expandability, etc... I recommend taking a look at http://www.dpreview.com if you would like to do some research. I suggest looking primarily at their summaries and intros of each review otherwise you'll be researching for a long, long time!

Comment

I do a lot of digital imaging for a living. In my office we have a pair of Kodak/Nikon DCS series professional cameras. About 5 grand a piece.

For personal use I have and love an Olympus C-3040. It was about $400.00. One of the things I love about it is that I can just plug it into any USB port and it is recognized as another drive.

While I did buy a compact flash card reader ($19.95 most places)I use the supplied USB cord and just plug it in and download the files. I have a 64 Meg card (about $50.00 these days) and it holds 120 images that can be 5x7 inch prints and look as goog as conventional photos. 8x10's are pushing most of these cameras.

If you want portraits or landscapes you would not expect that out of a point and shoot camera. So don't expect huge professional results from these cameras.

I am a big Nikon fan and I have heard only great things about the Coolpix series.

Good luck and have fun.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X