Pipe Wrench Extensions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Wrench Extensions

What are Ridgid's recommendations for adding pipe wrench extensions (cheater bars)? Does the addition of a leverage extension exceed Rigid's recommendation? If not, what are the maximum extension lengths recommended for each size of pipe wrench?

I have put Ridgid pipe wrenches thru hell and back. Try a 1 1/2 black steel pipe ( or whatever fits around the handle ). Not to worry about damaging these wrenches, they are the best.

Comment

I doubt that you will get a response from Ridgid on this, but you never know.

FWIW this is a dangerous move (using a cheater), THe potential for the cheater slipping off the wrench handle and causing injury to the user or someone else nearby, or damage to the equipment being worked, or the wrench itself should give one pause to reconsider this course of action. I know that it is done every day by many, but that doesn't make it right. Sometimes it seems you can't get a wrench with a long enough handle for leverage into a tight spot and the one that does fit in the tight space and over the fitting or pipe just won't give you enough umph to loosen a tight joint.

If you choose to use this method be aware of the hazards and don't expect Ridgid to stand by the waranty on a tool that has been abused which is how I think they would view this.

Consider picking up some aluminum wrenches in the larger sizes, they are easy to use in overhead work and very strong. I have a pair of Ridgid aluminum 24 inchers that I have used for the past 18 years and they work as well as the day I bought them. I wouldn't consider anything but a Ridgid pipe wrench, I have had bad luck with the performance of other makes. Keeping the jaws and the adjustment threads on the movable jaw clean with a stiff wire brush does wonders for gripping and ease of use, when the teeth of the jaws get clogged with pipe dope or other crud they don't bite into the pipe or especially fittings as well and are more likely to slip, but anyone who has been in the trade for a while knows this I think, just passing on for the newbies

Comment

If the fitting is cast iron a good smack with a hammer will crack it and save you alot of sweat or try heating the fitting nice and hot and you'd be surprised at how easy it comes out. Extensions are an accident waiting to happen

Comment

Using a cheater pipe is one of the best ways to break the handle of your pipe wrench. I don't speak for Ridgid but they never approve of using hammers, cheater pipes or anything else on their wrenches.

As a distributor I have seen some pretty messed up wrenches brought in by customers who expected free warranty replacement. About 90% of the time I can find marks on the handle where it was either hit with a hammer or had a cheater pipe placed over it. One guy even said that the only reason Ridgid puts that hole in the end of the handle is so you can attach a come-along to it and he was dead serious.

Bottom line is, if you can't turn the wrench with your bare hands get a bigger wrench or try some of the other techniques listed in the previous reply such as heating the pipe.
          <a href=\"http://www.brtool.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.brtool.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by BrianBR:
            One guy even said that the only reason Ridgid puts that hole in the end of the handle is so you can attach a come-along to it and he was dead serious.
            Been there, done that. (and lived to tell about it).
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Working...
            X