X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharpening stone battle

I have just gotten serious about sharpening my own tools. namely my chisels and such. in addition I have come across some great buys on some old planes at flea markets/garage sales that have required overhaul. Some required new blades. even then i have learned that out of the box they still need some attention on the stone.

Ok, so i have a bench grinder and the veritas jig i use only to remove the nicks and start the bevel.

I have chosen to go with the Arkansas stones vice the manmade oil/water stones. I know there are pro's and cons to both, from the reading i have done on the subject. Some folks swear by the manmade water/oil stones and think the arkansas stones are substandard. Others feel the opposite way.

I chose to go with the arkansas for the following reasons:

#1 i purchased a "soft" off of ebay for 7.99 and it cuts one hell of a quick bevel. Easier to clean than the manmade etc. I also purchased a surgical arkansas to finetune/give a few quick swipes after each use. I decided to order a black arkansas and a larger soft to accomidate the wider tools. this cost me a few bucks more than buying the array of manmade stones including the 1000x/4000x

SO i am just curious. what is the general consensous here? for those of you that sharpen your own chisels and such do you prefer the arkansas natural stones or the man made water/oil stones and why?

When i first started, i bought the norton oil stone and their oil from the home depot and honestly it served me well but i think i ruined it. i was not aware that you had to clean it after each use etc etc. I have been given tips how to fix it, but i use the veritas jig, the arkansas stones and smiths non petroleum honing compound. clean my stones with liquid lava after use and the arkansas in my opinion are the way to go.

but i am curious, manmade vs arkansas, what is the preference among those on this board and why?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

When I first started sharpening I had a Norton oil stone and it never produced great results or cut fast enough for my liking. I did some reading and decided to try the water stone because they come in a finer grit that the arkansas and from the prices I found for a good Arkansas translucent stone I bough ALL my water stones 220,1000,4000,8000, jig, leather, hard felt wheel and compound. I have never tried a true Arkansas stone so I can not compare the two but I do know that the water stones produce extreamly sharp edges very quickly.

Comment

so i am confused. where does the translucent fit in?
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Tis the finest, soft, hard, surgical black, translucent

Comment

AW COME ON GUYS, I'm still waiting for this Battle to start. Kinda Boring. LOL Don't ask me, I am no expert on sharpening tools. I use files grinders and stones to shape and sharpen my tools.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Used oil and water stones for years then I got serious about sharpening my chisels and got a tormek litle pricey, but I have not used my stones since and my chisels are sharper than ever.

Comment

I don't have much to compare to, but I use Norton combination waterstones for honing chisels and plane blades. I have the 220/1000 and 4000/8000 combos. They work well.
              I also bought a Tormek about 6 months ago. I sharpen tuning tools, chisels, and plane blades on it also. On some chisels and plane blades, I still go to the 4000/8000g for polishing after the Tormek.

Comment

Working...
              X