Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shop vap w/ auto switch

Hi,

A friend of mine has an older ridgid shopvac that has an auto-switch that works great with his table saw. The vacuum automatically turns on when it detects sawdust (when the auto switch it enabled)

I have been searching all over the web and have been unable to find something similar. Does anyone know where you can get one of these units?

Thanks,

Shawn
    shiggin@laserboard.com

Originally posted by sbuxlvr76:
    The vacuum automatically turns on when it detects sawdust (when the auto switch it enabled)
    First of all, welcome to the forum. I didn't know those auto-switches work like that. I thought they turned on when the saw (or other tool) was turned on.
    I use a shop vac on my router table, I have both plugged in to a power strip so they both come on when I turn the power strip on.
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I use a Fein Turbo III with the auto switch feature. I believe it works when it detects the tools electrical current. It stays on for a few seconds afterward to clear the hose.

Michael

Comment

Sears sells an attachment that turns your vac on when you turn the power tool on, and runs the vac for 10 or so seconds after you turn the power tool off. Cost about $20. I have two and will buy another one soon.

Comment

I have the Sears(Craftsman) switch you mention, it works well for me except it doesn't like my footswitch. If I put the footswitch inline between the auto-switch and the router, then the Vac will not shut down when the footswitch is released (dead man type footswitch). The router powers down normally, but the shop vac will keep running until i unplug it. It works fine without the footswitch on the router or any other tool. I took it back and got another but same result. so I just don't use the combination of footswitch with the autoswitch, they don't like each other

Originally posted by Bob32:
          Sears sells an attachment that turns your vac on when you turn the power tool on, and runs the vac for 10 or so seconds after you turn the power tool off. Cost about $20. I have two and will buy another one soon.

Comment

Thank you. I am going to try the auto-switch from sears since I already have a shop-vac and is the most inexpensive option to go with.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X