X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you keep. Ridgid R82001 or Dewalt dc980ka

I just purchased the ridgid 12 volt drill, R82001 on sale at HD for $90 then saw all the mixed reviews on here about ridgid cordless drills. Got me a little worried so I picked up a dewalt 12 volt xrp DC980KA on a special at Lowes for $100 (this usually runs around $160 or so) with the intent on returning the R82001. After looking at the two drills the ridgid looks like it's put together better which has made the decision process harder. I know dewalt makes quality stuff that will last a while and it has more torque and better features but the fit of the casing just doesn't seem as good as the ridgid. Please help me decide cause one of these definitely has to go back to the store. Thanks.

Ryan

That would depend on your intended use, if it is for brute strength and speed go for the DeWalt but if you want to be able to finesse small screws in while still having ample power for almost any woodworking application, the Ridgid would suffice just fine. The only experience I have with an XRP is the 18V model and it may be defective but even with the clutch set to 1 it takes considerable strength to stop it and the variable trigger does not allow a slow rpm to be obtained, almost like on/off.

Woodslayer

Comment

I looked the specs up for both drills and use them,the ridgid has more torque at 18 volt and will chargre in half the time as dewalt.I'm not gona get into it agian.

Be safe out there folks.

Bob B
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Be safe out there folks
      Bob B
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Woodslayer, your drill is broke. I just went out to the shop and tested mine, in high gear I can sustain 25 RPM. Also with the clutch set at the lowest setting it slips with minimal hand pressure

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. After what Woodslayer wrote I went home and checked both drills and sure enough the dewalt I had purchased had the same problem. My 12 V XRP even with the torque setting at 1 in first gear will not stop without significant resistance while it works fine in 3rd gear. I took it back to lowes thinking maybe it's just a problem with this particular drill. I asked them if I could test another drill before I exchanged it and took it home. Basically I tried two other 12 V xrp's and they both had the same problem. I tried calling dewalt today to see if this is normal but they were closed due to the holiday. For some reason I think they are all like that which to me defeats the purpose of having a clutch. The ridgid 12 V works fine in terms of the clutch in both the first and second gear. Well I ended up not exchaning the dewalt and just returning it. If anyone has an explaination as to why the dewalt drills do this I would like to hear it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X