Question for DeltaCAD users...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for DeltaCAD users...

We use Solid Edge, a 3D parametric CAD solid modeler here. If anyone is interested in giving a good 2D package a try, Solid Edge offers the 2D version free. You have to register, but there is no fee for non-commercial use.

I haven't tried the free version, but supposedly the sketching part works just like the version I use. One huge benefit to parametric sketching, is the ability to drive the drawing by editing the dimensions. For instance, you draw a rectangle and a circle. Then decide you want the rectangle to be a square, so you add an "equal" constraint on two adjacent sides. Now slap a dimension on one side, and another on the circle. Edit the dimensions, and the drawing will change to match. Want the circle tangent to the square? just assign the "tangent" constraint. It makes editing easy, and allows somewhat freeform sketching, and then fine tuning later.

Here's the link: http://www.solidedge.com/free2d/default.htm

Disclaimer: I have no connection to this vendor other than being a satisfied user. Neither Ridge Tool nor I endorse or profit from this recomendation.
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Just downloaded it. Will give it a try. I am looking for an idiot proof drafting program that will allow me to document woodworking projects. Thanks.

Comment

Well I tried Delta Cad and SolidEdge.

Had trouble dimensioning with one and printing with the other.

I want to spend more time in the shop and less working on the plans.

I discovered CadStd (I missed the above mention first time out) and am happy. Bare bones works great for me. I don't have to worry about print scale v. view scale or anything.

Thanks to all.

Comment

Question for the CADSTD user......

I try to draw a line with the mouse and cannot get it exactly right. Is there a way to edit the line after drawing. For this project I am using millimeters for precisions sake.

I tried selecting the line and editing the distance and angle but all I got was an hourglass.

All help or pointers appreciated.

Thank you,

Phil

Comment

Take a look in the upper left corner and make sure the snap to grid/angle lock is off. If it's not, the program my not let you move the point to the place you want it. If you haven't used CADD before there is a lot that the keyboard entry can do for you. After snapping the first point to start a line, you can enter a distance and angle and the program will enter a line exactly that long at the desired angle. 0 degrees is straight up, CC from there.
            Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Thank you much. I guess I must pay my dues no matter what program I use.

Here is a link to a cadstd tutorial.

http://library.advanced.org/C0116628/home.htm

Comment

I have some AutoCad files that I would like to open in DeltaCad. The DeltaCad website says this is possible. Do any of you know how? I'm pretty new at this so keep it as simple as you can for me, please. Thanks. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by wardme10 View Post
                  I have some AutoCad files that I would like to open in DeltaCad. The DeltaCad website says this is possible. Do any of you know how? I'm pretty new at this so keep it as simple as you can for me, please. Thanks. Mike
                  Is there a File>import option?

Comment

Import... Yes that did it. Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X