X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on TS3650

Funny story about my Christmas present. The LOML took my hints and bought me the TS3650. However, it apparently took 3 HD guys to get it into the back of our Suburban. There was no way my wife was going to get it out. On Friday, the Suburban started to overheat (new radiator recently installed). When I said I'd take it in on Monday, the wife got frustrated and told me about the 3650 in the back. She apparently thought she could hide it in there until Christmas. I now had to get it out. And because of the weight, I had to do it piece by piece. As a result, I got my present early. I had it put together by Saturday night.

First of all, the packaging is great. Everything is well marked, well wrapped, and organized. The instructions are also very good. The drawings are lacking some, but it was easy to complete. It took me about 3 hours. The really nice thing was that there were virtually no adjustments that needed to be made. The blade was perfectly parallel to the fence and the angle needed no adjustment. The fence was the right distance from the table, moved smoothly, and was absolutely square out of the box. I didn't have to use any spacers on the rails. The only thing I had to do was adjust the plastic guide indicators on the fence, which took about 2 minutes. The motor and belt went on very easily. The saw started right up and cut perfectly. The only thing that was difficult was setting up the built-in castor base. Once it is done and adjusted, however, it works great. I only have a garage to work in so the mobility of the 3650 is very critical.

Now the big question is how the warranty will work. I'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully, I will not have to find out.

When you take into account the added value of the mobile base, the cast iron extensions, and the lifetime warranty, this saw is a great value. I looked at some other saws from General, Delta, and Jet, which were about the same price. However, none came with a mobile base and only one had cast iron extensions (General). Only the Jet had a lifetime warranty (but steel extensions and no mobile base). The others are two years or less. For a novice woodworker with only a garage to work in, the TS3650 appears to be a good deal.

No excessive motor vibration. It is very smooth. The legs do flex some if you try to push the unit without engaging the mobile base. I can see where it might be a good idea to install some simple braces near the feet between each leg to completely remove any flex. However, when using the saw, there is no noticible flex at all. It is very solid and stable. I have to admit that I do not know what other larger saws feel like to compare. But I don't think it could be any more stable that it is right now when operating the saw. I'll use it for the next few weeks and post further thoughts. Maybe some quirks will become apparent.

As for the color and the way it looks, I like it. Some have commented on the ugly orange color. However, it is no different than green (General or Bridgewood), school bus yellow (Dewalt), piss yellow (Powermatic), beige (Jet) or dull blue-grey (Delta). I will note that the finish is very nice, with a matte powder coat, rather than a shiny painted look. Color on front and back of all pieces, with no chips or scratches. Also, the bolts are a nice flat matte black. Very minor to me, but apparently more important to some. Just thought I'd make these observations.

Comment

The TS 3650 is a great deal. Lots of saw for the money. I to like the color. I recently wrote a letter to the dealer about the world famous General, I asked if this saw would pass the nickle test, bascially he said it would not be any problem if you can use super glue. I am amased at the number of people that are recommending the General and have never seen one. The 3650 has a double capasiter motor, known to be a much better and smoother then a single. I can pass the nickle test even on start up with the TS3650. This is with the stock pully's and belt that come with this saw. No upgrade needed The saw has plenty of power. I here from from a relibable sorce that full side panels are on the way for the 3650, so I would not make any braces just yet. This will remove any flex.
      Good luck and enjoy your saw

Comment

I haven't seen a $500 TS yet that wouldn't pass the nickel test...it's really not much of a test of anything to do with WWing. FWIW the General is also a dual capacitor motor....the second one is buried in the electrical connection box. The folks that are recomming it that haven't seen it, may be using the FWW #1 ranking as a reference, or could be just passing along hearsay about the incredible stock fence and miter gauge.

Comment

Congrats on your new Christmas present. I got my Christmas presents (TS3650 and an MS1250LZ)right after Thanksgiving so I could start working on presents for others. I too had a bunch of HD guys lift the boxes into my Tahoe and had to cut open the box and take it out piece by piece. No problems so far. Once the holiday is over I can start working on setting up my shop in the garage.

Comment

Congratulations on the new saw! I have been nothing but pleased with my 3650. After hearing about some people's problems with the motor vibration, I checked my motor for a bent fan or set screws that were too long, but found none of these problems, so hopefully you won't have any of those problems with your new purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMasterBuilder:
              The TS 3650 is a great deal. Lots of saw for the money. I to like the color. I recently wrote a letter to the dealer about the world famous General, I asked if this saw would pass the nickle test, bascially he said it would not be any problem if you can use super glue. I am amased at the number of people that are recommending the General and have never seen one. The 3650 has a double capasiter motor, known to be a much better and smoother then a single. I can pass the nickle test even on start up with the TS3650. This is with the stock pully's and belt that come with this saw. No upgrade needed The saw has plenty of power. I here from from a relibable sorce that full side panels are on the way for the 3650, so I would not make any braces just yet. This will remove any flex.
              Good luck and enjoy your saw
              Full side panels? News to me, where did you hear it? I'm not sure they need but will always take an "upgrade" to something if free. Or is it?
              If this is fact then they are either acknowledging a weakness in design or just being nice guys responding to things a few have stated.
              Regardless - it an upside thing....if free. If not----save them receipts and on day 89 say...I want to return this. I think?!
              Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Working...
              X