X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Lifetime Warranty

Are normal wear and tear items included in the lifetime warranty? Basically, what is the Ridgid Lifetime Warranty? Better yet, what is NOT covered by the Ridgid Lifetime Warranty?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

It is my understanding that any part that has proven to be faulty through manufacturing defects will be replaced at no cost to the user.
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

You can see our complete warranty policy at the following link: www.ridgid.com/warranty.asp

If you have specific questions regarding the warranty, please call our Technical Service Department at 800-519-3456.

Josh

Comment

I am in no way trying to start a fight here so please bear with me. I'm just trying to figure out if Ridgid's Lifetime Warranty is truly different from other mfgs. or just basically the same type of warranty others offer.

For example; 10 year old Unisaws start to experience broken handwheels, Delta would take care of this problem right. Does Delta also have a lifetime warranty?

Ridgid has chosen to use the claim of a lifetime warranty as a marketing tool. I think a simple ABC explanation of this warranty is a fair request on my part. The response I got to go and read their warranty was not an answer to my original questions. Reading the warranty is one thing, interpreting and understanding the legaleze in it is quite another.

Let me say again that I'm not trying to start a fight or cause problems. I'm just a consumer who has a question that I feel deserves a straight forward answer.

Comment

Badger, The Ridgid Warranty covers material defects and defects in workmanship for the lifetime of the tool not the purchasers lifetime. It does not cover normal wear and tear or misuse/abuse. Lifetime of a tool is based upon the point at wich the tool fails due to wear/use, or abuse. All tools are going to wear out at some point from just normal use, at this point the warranty is over. If you'd like to discuss warranty further please feel free to call our technical service department at 1-800-519-3456.

Comment

For example; 10 year old Unisaws start to experience broken handwheels, Delta would take care of this problem right. (assuming a question mark should have ended that sentence )

Dave, that isn't a given. If a problem like that arose, Delta could -choose- to replace for free, but they are under no obligation to.

Does Delta also have a lifetime warranty?

No, not on any tool I'm familiar with.

Dave
            (to be clear, I don't work for Delta or RIDGID)

Comment

Ronnie;
              That pretty much was the type of answer I was looking for. Ridgid could get rid of a few lawyers and let you write their warranty for them. Thanks for your quick response.

Dave A.
              The point that I was trying to make, and did a horrible job of doing , was that other mfgs. may not have written lifetime warranties but they have implied ones. Excellent customer service is a warranty in itself and most mfgs. offer excellent customer service.
              Although I no longer work in the industry, I inventoried and sold Ridgid tools to Plbg. & Htg. contractors for almost 30 years. Ridgid used too (maybe still does) have the finest pictoral two year calendar of any company in the contry.

Comment

but they have implied ones

I understood you. You are, pardon the phrase, wrong. There is no implied warranty. I don't have a Delta warranty card handy, but would bet ten bucks it specifically says there are no implied or oral warranties on the equipment covered.

Call 1-800-223-7278, that is Delta's United States Technical number. Ask them, if you buy a Unisaw today and a part fails in ten years that appears to have been defective, will they replace it for free?

I have a friend pretty high up in that organization who would have a fit if the answer is yes.

Dave
                (none of that to say they might not, but that there is no implication or promise that they will.)

Comment

Interesting discussion. But here is what I get confused about when I hear about lifetime warrantees: when something breaks, how do I know whether it is considered broken due to wear-and-tear or due to a manufacturing defect? Of course, I am not referring to blades and belts.

Comment

That is one of two questions that have never been answered to everyones satisfaction. The other question being, who's on first?

Comment

dave I don't know about the warrentee but asto the calander oooooh!!! baby!! do i agree bill

Comment

I think Badger Dave has a legitimate question and posed it fairly. However, I think that Ridgid is a bit stuck in trying to answer it. For legal reasons, the have no choice but to refer us to the written warranty statement. But they MUST have some in-house rules of thumb ( ) that they apply to warranty claims. Something like: 6 mos. on belt, 7 years on motor, 20 years on castings, etc. etc. etc. They'll probably negotiate depending on frequency of use, etc. They could easily issue terms with each part of a tool and its warranty listed, but they choose to stand behind their tools with the "lifetime" warranty instead. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quite honestly, they're buying themselves a lot of potential arguments and bad blood if they try to interpret this open ended policy too conservatively. Given the prevalence of forums like this, it would be widely known very quickly if they were giving people a hard time with warranty issues. I give 'em credit for treading where others don't.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Dave:
                          Are normal wear and tear items included in the lifetime warranty? Basically, what is the Ridgid Lifetime Warranty? Better yet, what is NOT covered by the Ridgid Lifetime Warranty?

Comment

the lifetime warranty is very simple to explain. when it breaks it's life is over

Comment

Gentlemen, There is nothing in our warranty that is meant to confuse anyone. Read it word for word. It is very straight forward. Our warranty has not changed since the company was founded 80 years ago and has served our customers well. Any assumptions of warranty other than outlined in our warranty statement are just assumptions. They will have been made as a result of not completely reading the warranty. "If your tool ever breaks due to a material defect or defects in workmanship return it to the factory or an authorized Service Center and Ridgid will repair or replace the tool at our choice, free." Time is not a determining factor in our warranty, only the direct cause of failure. Determining why a tool failed is a very simple task for any qualified mechanic. Signs of excessive wear or misuse are easily identifiable as are any factory defects. Again, if anyone would like to discuss any warranty issues either specifically or in general please call our technichal service dept.

Comment

Working...
                              X