X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warning: lousy Ridgid customer service

I bought a Ridgid MS1290LZ 12" sliding dual compound miter saw ($569) and a Ridgid MS-UV miter saw utility vehicle ($149) from a local Home Depot. I have been happy with the saw and the stand. However, I have been very, very unhappy with the execrable Ridgid customer service.

The bag of small components that came with the miter saw stand was missing some pieces. I had intended to use the saw and stand immediately. It was disappointing that Ridgid's quality assurance wasn't competent enough to make sure a transparent plastic bag contains the correct components.

I called Ridgid customer service to ask them to send out the missing pieces as soon as possible. The first person I spoke to told me it would take 3-4 weeks to get the missing parts for the new stand. That seemed to me like a ridiculously long time to find a bag of parts and ship them out, so I asked her to ship the parts out sooner. I suggested that might be in Ridgid's best interest to figure out how to use any one of a number of speedy delivery services to ship the $1 in missing parts to me to keep me from returning more than $700 in Ridgid equipment. She was unwilling to help. After arguing with her for a half hour, I got her to refer me to her manager, who gave me a similar run-around. I finally got the customer service manager to refer me to her manager, who called me back later in the day. After a lengthy discussion, she finally agreed to send out the missing parts by next-day shipping. (Incredibly, the point about the $1 in parts vs. $700 in equipment never did seem to sink in to any of the Ridgid customer service representatives.) It appears that she was lying or incompetent, because the next-day shipping she promised turned out to take six days.

Ready for the kicker? They were the wrong parts! The parts I received weren't even the parts I requested.

The Ridgid customer service folks I dealt with were at best completely incompetent and unable to carry out a seemingly simple request, and were at worst openly hostile and lazy. Obviously this kind of poor treatment is a big disincentive for buying Ridgid tools in the future. It seems like a company with so many competitors would try harder. Maybe the large distribution network afforded by Home Depot allows Ridgid's customer service to be so dismally poor.

On a related note, the "info@ridgid.com" email address listed multiple times in my Ridgid WD1850 wet / dry vacuum's owner's manual is invalid. That seems like the kind of easily-corrected error Ridgid might want to fix.

Comment

Bit Bucket,

I was missing the end caps to my TS 3650 (which were not in the damaged box). Bad on me for not pre-flighting the integrity of the box prior to leaving the store. They shipped me the parts in 3 days. Not too good, but not too bad.

After reviewing many posts from this site, in the future I will return any item that is not complete ASAP and get another one to minimize the frustration and waiting.

Bottom line, you are right on with the inconsistencies and credibility of the RIDGID customer service / parts replacement department!!!

Swede

Comment

Thanks for relating your experience, swede. In the future, I will be sure to follow your suggestions about checking tool contents before leaving the store, and immediately returning any tool that is subsequently found to be incomplete.

[ 12-28-2004, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: Bit Bucket ]

Comment

Bit Bucket

It is unfortunate that Ridgid’s Customer Service has deteriorated so badly but complaints such as yours seem to be more the norm nowadays and experiences such as Swede’s are the rare exception (at least on this forum). Shortly after I purchased my TS2424 I noticed that both sides of the fence formed an acute angle with the top and there is no adjustment for this. I called Ridgid on a Friday night and they shipped me out a new fence no questions asked and when I inquired as what to do what the old one they replied keep it. When I arrived home from work on Monday the fence was sitting on the porch. I was impressed enough with this service that I proceeded to buy a Ridgid Planner, Jointer and Drill Press, which have all served me quite well and fortunately required no dealings with the new Ridgid CS.

Woodslayer

Comment

You said you purchased the saw from your local HD, so why didn't you just return it and ask for a new one. With HD's 90 day no questions asked return policy a missing bag of accessory parts shouldn't be a big deal. Yeah, it's a PITA to have to return it but its not like it was a table saw or a band saw and if you're like most of us, a trip to HD is a pretty regular occurence.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Agreed, badgerdave. As I wrote above, in the future I will definitely take the route of returning a tool that is defective in any way. The saw and table were the first Ridgid power tools I bought. I hadn't had trouble with other power tools I had purchased from other manufaturers in the past.

Everything was out in pieces by the time I figured out that some components were missing. It seemed like it would be easier to contact Ridgid for the minor missing components than to origami everything up again to return it. I assumed Ridgid would be interested in the breakdown in their process, and want to correct it.

Hee hee! Wrong.

Comment

Guys,

easy way to solve this dilemma with missing parts and damaged items in box.
                When you purchase anything at HD, do the following(I do this anytime I buy a tool, No sh#!.)

1. Pay for it at check out,
                2. Roll it out to your truck(car),
                3. Pull out a razor knife
                4. Slit open the box
                5. Sift through and inspect all parts and check back contents to the owner's manual.
                6. Anything missing or damaged, roll it right back into the store and approach the Returns desk clerk with your receipt in your hand.

Why do you do this you may ask? here's why, how many of you got home with a 400lb table saw only to find you had damaged parts or missing parts and had to box it back up, load it, and take it back to HD for refund or exchange..that's provided you haven't lost the receipt(as most men do). If you do right there on the spot, recept is not lost hence no broken back from Loading-Unloading and Loading-Unloading Again.

It may seem nuts to most of you and you may have customers actually stare at you while you lay out the parts in the bed of your truck and look them over but hey, I am better off for taking this precaution...especially my back and blood pressure.

[ 12-30-2004, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: swhalen ]

Comment

Good idea but why even roll it out to the car?
                  After paying roll it into the vestibule just past the checkout lines and open it right there in plain sight. Then when the store manager or a customer asks what you are doing you can tell them and why. Maybe the managers would put pressure on Ridgid (and others, Ridgid is not the only guilty party) to do a better job of ensuring the contents is correct before shipping, and, other customers might like your idea and do it too. Pretty soon everyine will be checking their tools before they leave and the store will go nuts exchanging missing parts/hardware. It is of course not the stores fault (if the packaging has not been damaged due to rough handling), but they were the last one with it, so they catch all the blame/frustration of the purchaser.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.:
                    Good idea but why even roll it out to the car?
                    After paying roll it into the vestibule just past the checkout lines and open it right there in plain sight. Then when the store manager or a customer asks what you are doing you can tell them and why. Maybe the managers would put pressure on Ridgid (and others, Ridgid is not the only guilty party) to do a better job of ensuring the contents is correct before shipping, and, other customers might like your idea and do it too. Pretty soon everyine will be checking their tools before they leave and the store will go nuts exchanging missing parts/hardware. It is of course not the stores fault (if the packaging has not been damaged due to rough handling), but they were the last one with it, so they catch all the blame/frustration of the purchaser.
                    Not a bad idea to open up the product in the store. Would save a trip out to the truck. Maybe I will do that when I go buy a bandsaw. I can see the scenario playing out now:

Manager-"Sir, may I ask what you are doing?"

My reply-"Checking the contents of my purchase to make sure it's all there and undamaged. Would you mind moving back?A nd here, hold my motor assemby so I can check for the sack parts"

Manager-"First you do it, then everyone starts doing it. There will be anarchy in the streets.
                    I just can't take it!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH"

Comment

Checking the box is a good idea even if the box is not damaged. Unfortunately, HD's return policy is also accompanied by a ridiculous restocking policy---they simply retape the box and put it back on the shelf.

I have complained to my local much visited HD about that to no avail. They simply are following company policy and will.cannot process damaged/missing parts merchandise any other way.

So, I now check everything before leaving the store.
                      Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

Working...
                      X