Ryobi Drill Bits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi Drill Bits?

HD has a 215pc Ryobi drill & driving kit for $50, claiming to be a $300 value? Is it worth it?

I suppose it's worth $50. $300? Probably not! Like other things, drill bits come in a variety of quality levels; and, unfrotunately there isn't an obvious way to know the quality. I've used Ryobi bits, Black and Decker, and a variety of other brands. Cheaper bits break easily and dull almost immediately. The Ryobi bits held up okay as did the Black and Deckers; but then, I only use them for hobby and house maintenance tasks.

Probably the biggest thing you should look at is what makes up the 215 pieces and do you need all of that. Probably buying a big set just once, would give you a bit for almost everything. But those large number of bit sets usually have more screw driver bits than anything else. Similarly, you'll also get a quantity of masonary bits and other assorted items. If you can use that stuff, great, but if you're only looking for wood bits or metal bits, then you'd probably be wasting your money and should look for a set that just contains the kind of bits your need.

CWS

Comment

Check out Grizzley's 115 pc set of twist bits.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G3657

Comment

Harbor Freight has a 115 piece set of drill bits only for $39.99, #1611-2VGA.
        I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

I really need a set w/ masonry & paddle bits,which the Ryobi has, but HD is sold out on their web site & I am sure my local HD is also.

Comment

I have a local "Value Home" store, which is probably just a western NY aree chain (I really don't know), but they are always having special Black and Decker drill bit sets. I bought one two years ago that contains 110 bits for $14 and also a smaller tri-fold wallet for about $9 which had about 50 bits, including 5 butterflys as well as brad, twist, and masonry and a larger number of screw driver bits. The point is B&D sets are in almost every hardware store, including Walmart.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave:
              Harbor Freight has a 115 piece set of drill bits only for $39.99, #1611-2VGA.
              Another source for a 115 pc set of jobber drills would be Enco ( www.use-enco.com ).
              Look up their model # FP300-0050 HSS Black Oxide coated for $28.95, they have other sets also with various coatings and looking through their catalog they offer many products made in the good ole USA [img]smile.gif[/img] Don't know for sure if this drill set in US made, it's under the Enco brand, other sets lists do state they are US made, as do many itmes in their inventory.

Comment

Most of the bits in the Ryobi kits are good enough for most projects with the exception of the masonry bits and hole saws. They will be trash after the first time you use them. It's still a good set for the money but I would replace the masonry bits with Bosch as they burn up.
                Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X