X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mildest Method Possible

As an Avionics Technician by trade in the Military, due to the conditions our aircraft operate in, i have been taught that you use the mildest method possible.

Now I know the subject of rust on the old table saw, jointer, etc has been explored here.

Well this has to do with a hand tool. In a garage sale/flea market box i found, i came across two interesting items. The first one being a Starrett precision straight edge with some rust on it. the other is a "universal square" made by "DUBY (DOBY) & SHINN" and it says PATENT May 13, 1902.

I have not found much on this on the internet. But this is a pretty awesome square. Although some might view this as a collectible, I would like to actually clean it up and use it. It is square. I used a wire brass brush to clean up around the markings so icould read them and although it did clean it up some, but not enough. What would you guys recommend to use to clean it up? I was thinking Mineral Spirits/Naptha and the old wire brush. I have some Navel Jelly but I am leary of using that on this as even though I followed the instructions to the letter, i ruined an old rusty pipe wrench,

I was also thinking of the old dremel with a brass brush or picking up a Brass Brush for my bench grinder?

This thing is pretty cool and would love to make it useable. Just dont want to mess it up. Where should i start on this thing???
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Use mineral spirits or WD-40 with a wire brush and follow with same and steel wool. DO NOT USE NAPTHA. Highly flamable and wire brush would make sparks.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Electrolysis
      Rust Removal by Electrolysis

Comment

I'd also go with electrolysis. I had some old wood auger bits that were neglected too long and I used electrolysis to clean them up. First time I had tried this and I was quite impressed. I still had to use some steel wool and emery cloth, but they came out pretty clean with only some minor pitting do to the advanced stage of the rust.

I used a five gallon bucket, some baking powder, an old lawn mower plade (for a receptor) and my battery charger. Worked quite nicely.

CWS

Comment

I thought that was the purpose of using a brass brush, no sparks???
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
          X