X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miter saws

I went today and looked at the 12" miter saws at home depot.The ridgid saw has a stand and a material clamp included. On the other hand, the Dewalt saw came only with a cheap looking material clamp and a 1 yr. warranty. I looked and saw that the ridgid saw was made in taiwan but the Dewalt saw is made in the U.S. I would like to buy the ridgid but I would prefer a saw made in the U.S.A. I like the ridgid warranty and I already have a ridgid ts2412 table saw in which I am totally satisfied. Which saw should I buy??

If these are your two choices and you prefer to buy a saw made in the USA then DeWalt it is.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

My next saw will be the 12" SCMS by DW unless Ridgid comes out with a new slider anytime soon.
      Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Well, I finally went to look at length at the DW slider. I have decided not to buy it when it's time. The table is pitiful on that saw...way too small. I'm used to the Delta's huge table and I really don't know if I could deal with anything smaller. Back to the drawing board...

[ 10-28-2002, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: KellyC ]
        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Take a look at the Makita LS1013. My FIL just purchased this saw and man is it a sweet machine. Usually you have to replace the poor quality factory blade that come with miter saws but not this one. The slide mechanism is so smooth you could push it with one finger(not recommended). Another plus, though not a quality issue, is that it comes fully assembled. Even the blade is mounted. Also, the cutting capacities are not that much less than alot of 12" sliders. With HD giving a 10% discount with the trade-in of an old power tool he saved $50 off the price too.

Comment

I do like that saw...can you ask him what the capacities are on cutting @90* (i.e. will it cut a 4x6 cedar beam (3.75" tall)?

Comment

Cuts are 4x12 at 90 degrees and 2x8 at 45 degrees left. I forgot to mention earlier that two extension brackets and a material holddown vise come with the saw. Finally, the dust bag actually catches sawdust although it is undersized. The first time he used the saw he cut up some 2x6 board. We thought something was strange but didn't know what it was. Then it hit us, very little sawdust on the floor. He made about six cuts and the bag was full though.

Comment

I for one bought the Makita LS1013 after close comparison with the Dewalt. Yous can't go wrong with the makita. Tha cuts are glass smooth on some 2x4 I tried I was so impressed. The cost was 450$ after 10% off at HD.

Comment

I went and bought the Dewalt DW705 12" saw today and was very happy with the purchase.The 10% off tool turn in helped with the final cost of the saw. I have plans for the $50 home depot gift card that I am going to get back in the mail. The gift card is probably going to be used in my next tool purchase, a Milwaukee 1/2" electric drill.

Comment

I put new 4 3/8" tall Maple fences and a Birch zero clearance throat plate on my Delta Slider yesterday for the ebay sale...not sure it will sell as it is basically set up for a carpenter. The good side is now it is perfect for cutting crown molding and will not tear out with the new throat plate.

If it doesn't sell, I'll just keep it as there's really nothing wrong with it, but if it does I'm leaning towards the 12" CMS and the MSUV cart Ridgid has.

Comment

i have a carpenter friend of mine that has and swears by the Hitachi saw. I personally own a delta 10". when it comes time to upgrade mine i will take a serious look at the milwaukee line.

as far as the made in the USA i feel your pain, it is hard for me to buy anything but, which in turn if you are not satisfied with the dewalt, your only other real candidate is the milwaukee.
                      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
                      X