X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid vs Delta planer

Hi: I know this was discussed before and someone said they'd take the Delta (not sure of model #) over Ridgid in a heartbeat. I've been vacillating between the Ridgid 13" & the Delta 12 1/2", I'm favouring the Ridgid over the Delta 2000 although the Delta 2000 is $110:00 less. Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ross

Hi...try www.toolsofthetrade.net ... they have a lot of tool tests and they have one on planers
    \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

delta's tools are made by porter cable.(or vice versa) dewalt is made by black and decker. craftsman power tools are made by everyone. in fact caftsman has a contractors table saw identical to the ridgid. look at the "ridgd" robogrip pliers....wowo craftsman has a set too.

fact is that several dfferent brand tools are made by the same mfg. but the ridgid tool is made to "ridgid" specifications by company XYZ who also makes tools for sears. two tools, almost identical, made by the same maker require different specs.

so do your research and enjoy your projects
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I went to that site and saw that the Ridgid came in second in contractor saw behind the DW...ahead of the ever bragged on Jet and Powermatic...way to go Ridgid!

I have the Delta planer, but I almost got the Ridgid...price point at the time was critical, otherwise I'd have bought the Ridgid.

[ 10-10-2002, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: KellyC ]
        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Ross -

I bought both the Ridgid planer and joiner about 10 weeks ago. I have pushed a lot of wood through that planer since that time with great success. Both of my brothers have used the Ridgid planer for years and I bought one based upon their recommendation.

My planer was almost perfect out of the box and it comes with an extra set of knives and a stand. I don't use the stand with the planer, but I covered it with 3/4" plywood and use it for a benchtop drill press stand or a mitre saw stand. The cutterhead locks are accurate and easy to use and depth adjustment is solid.

I get good results from the Ridgid planer with minimal snipe. I would buy it again and pay several $$ more to own it. It is a good machine.

Good luck,
          Jamie

Comment

delta's tools are made by porter cable.(or vice versa) dewalt is made by black and decker. craftsman power tools are made by everyone. in fact caftsman has a contractors table saw identical to the ridgid.

Sorry, space..., but that's four incorrect statements.

Delta and Porter-Cable belong to the same company, Pentair. But ETC, who builds Ridgid tools belong to the same company as In-Sink-Erator. It is as correct to say that Ridgid makes garbage disposals, as Delta tools are built by Porter-Cable.

DeWalt belongs to Black and Decker. Same commentary as above, though in reality DeWalt is more closely coupled to B&D.

Craftsman tools are only built by the companies that Sears contracts them to be built by, not by everyone. For a simple example, Festool doesn't make any tools for Craftsman.

There is no Craftsman contractor's table saw that is identical to any current Ridgid saw. They may look superficially similar.

Dave

Comment

I was looking at tools at HD. One of the sale persons there said that he had a planer (don't remember the brand) and it took him a few hours to change the blades. He bought a Ridgid and it took him about 20 minutes. I do not own a planer yet but I think that this is something to consider.

Comment

Working...
              X