X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Paint/Lacquer Spray Gun

Could someone please recommend the best paint sprayer out there to use with a compressor. I will be putting latex and maybe wood finishing stuff throught it. Also, looking for east clean up. Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure of exactly the right answer for the "best" spray gun. For me "Best" is relative to how deep your pockets go, and you can spend $300 or more chasing that.

However, I've used a simple, cheap "spotting" gun (used more for touch-ups) which is siphon feed and costs about $35. I've used it to spray latex, poly, enamel, and lacquer and have gotten what I consider to be good results. (No drips, no clogs, no sputters, and a nice even finish.) That said, a "pro" might very well be shocked to think anyone would consider such an unworthy gun. My biggest problem with the "spotting" gun was that the paint container is rather small (about 8 oz) and the top-mounted, index finger-actuated lever gets a bit tiresome if you have more than a small project to do. I've used it to refinish a couple of chairs (poly), paint vinyl shutters (latex), a coffee table (lacquer), and even a couple of entry doors (enamel) and window trim (latex).

I recently purchased a Campbell-Hausfeld DH6500 "Automotive-type" siphon-feed spray gun. It has a normal size container (a quart, I think), adjustable pattern, and conventional trigger action. It works very well, was easy to clean and appears to be well made (nickle plated brass nozzle, stainless needle). I looked at the Huskey equivalent at HD, but wasn't impressed (also made by CH, but it appears to be a cheaper version). I picked the DH6500 up at Walmart for around $50 or $60. You might also consider a HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) type gun. They seem to be very popular, and from what I've read, provide a decent finish with lesss overspray.

The thing of it is, spray guns of any type can be a bloody fortune. I'm sure there are advantages to buying the more expensive units, but then again, I really don't know.

A lot of your results will depend on your technique and the environment that you have to work in. Dust, lighting, material, proper thinning, pressure, technique, etc. will all have some bearing on the results. Also, one needs to properly filter the supply air to keep any moisture and oil out of finish you are spraying. To my simple mind, spending big $ to spray latex or poly in my garage is sort of overkill. As long as the pattern and volumn can be adjusted and the gun properly delivers the finish to the project, I don't know what else a $300 gun can do, over a $60 gun. Perhaps an experienced expert could provide a convincing argument to the contrary.

CWS

[ 10-08-2005, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

Working...
    X