wood turning ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood turning ?

ok i have had a lathe now for about two years.it is a ridgid model. i have tried and tried to make something,anything on this darn thing with no luck what so ever.please help what am i doing wrong i have tried pine,maple,cherry and oak and all i get is tooth picks at best please help
    9/11/01, never forget.

OSC,

Other than having a Ridgid lathe, what other specific problems are you having? The Ridgid lathe is pretty far down on the food chain, but you should get more than toothpicks from it.

IMHO the number one culprit in getting poor results are dull tools. Are yours sharp? Have you attended any meetings of your local turners club? Having someone observe and comment on your turning/sharpening techniques can really improve your results quickly.

Bob R

Comment

I've had my Ridgid lathe for almost 6 years now and love it. Can't help if we don't know what problems your having. Be specific, post pics of your mess ups so we can know what to tell you.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

the tools are new and very sharp,but every time i do any thing on this dam thing it looks great while it is spining.but when i stop i get huge cracks and chunks are missing out of the wood.i dont bare down on the tools while working i go very slow with it (is that the problem)i am just trying to make a cane for my wife nothing real fancy.
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I had more questions and I'm speculating on a number of your answers to offer some things to look at. Hope it helps.

1. What type of wood are you using and I assume it's dry? I once had some dry red oak that I believe was just to dry to turn. My tools were very sharp, but the wood would split and chip no matter what I did.

2. Are you getting those results just trying to turn it into a cylinder? If so, are you starting at the end and working your way to center so you are always cutting "down hill"?

3. If it's already a cylinder, which tool is giving you those kind of results? The results that you describe, seem to resemble those from a catch with a skew. Have you tried using a different tool? A lot of cuts can be made from more than just one tool and a lot of people have trouble with the skew.

As for the speed, spindle work is normally done at a higher speed, especially after the piece is round.

Bob R

Comment

Working...
          X