X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawn Watering

I had this brilliant idea to collect the rain water and use it to water the lawn, at least I thought it was brilliant until I started doing some usage calculations. I really hope I am way out to lunch here so if anyone has experience please correct me. I have about 3000 sq ft of lawn to water, I think a typical lawn needs 1" of water per week to stay healthy. During the summer we may have a week or more without rain so I am going to assume I need to store enough rain water for 1 watering. So 3000 sq ft at 1" of water is about 250 cu ft of water or 1870 gal (7080 liters)
    I don't have the space or budget for that size of a tank. Has anyone out there attempted this? Am I way off with the water consumption?

Your calcs seem right to me. You might want to consider planting something other than grass, grass requires way too much water. I planted trees and shrubs around my lawn, they shade the grass and thereby reduce the water needed for the grass.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I don't know if you have a water shortage problem in canada or what you have to pay for your potable water but I just water mine with standard irrigation from my city line. I have about 25000 square feet of zoysia that gets about an inch of water to weekly through out July and August. (twice a week 1/2 inch at a time) It only costs about an extra hundred bucks for the entire season and I dont have any headaches or tanks or pumps to mess with. Though the danged Japenese beetles love my yard and then bring moles which love the beetle larvae.
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
      X