X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have any experience with....

Looking for an inexpensive safe way to heat my garage comfortably in these cold chicago winters. so i can work comfortably for short periods of time. harbor freight has an infrared gas heater item number 90016 for 39.99. runs off propane. This thing throw enough heat? anyone have one?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Depends on how well insulated the garage is and if the temp gets to -20 inside. I had a single car garage that was drywalled with no insulation and it would take over 2 hrs to get comfortable when it was really cold out with a

so I got a 75K BTU

then use a 4800W

to keep it warm
    Now I have a double car garage well insulated with R10 garage door and the 4800W is all I really need

Comment

I've used a KeroSun heater in my garage before to extend the season. I'd turn it on a couple hours before going out to the garage, and the air temp is comfortable by then.

The big problem I ran into, si even though the air is warm(er), the tools are still cold. Not only is this uncomfortable if it is sub-freezing, but also resulted in moisture condensing on table saw tables, and other places you don't want moisture. Some of this was aggrevated by using kerosene, but any cold steel in warm air is going to condense. I ended up with a lot of surface rust to contend with in the spring.

Since then, I've just added layers of clothing and worn thin cotton gloves, or stay inside and peruse the catalogs and magazines for new tools and projects in the spring!

HTH,
      Steve
      Steve
      www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

SpaceBlue,

Is there any chance that you have natural gas? Propane and kerosene are a bit expensive, at least here in NY's southern tier. Several years ago, I converted our attached garage over to a den and it is where I now have my computer, library, etc. I realize this isn't quite the same as I've finished the floor, ceiling, walls, etc., and also insulated everything. But, I had the local gas company install a small wall heater w/thermostat. (Empire Heating Systems DV-215 - http://empirecomfort.com/ )

The unit directly vents through the outside wall and with the non-electric thermostat, it keeps the room at pretty much any temp that I set it at with very little expense. I used to use a kerosene heater out here, but it wasn't overly healthy and I noticed it left a cloudy film/residue on almost everything. I didn't want to think about what it was doing to my lungs!

The installation was about 12 years ago and as I recall was less than $400 complete. I have had absolutely no problems with it. They may make a propane unit, but I haven't investigated the website to that extent.

Regards,

CWS

Comment

I had a propane forced air heater. The problem I had with it was u still had to plug it into 110 v for the ignition to work...Then every time u bumped something else on that current it would put out the flame...

Comment

well mine is a 2 car with no insulation. so from the sounds of it i may as well not waste my money.

I guess its the old miter and circular saw in the basement with occasional trips to the cold jp6010 when necessary

thanks guys
            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I've got a cannister that runs on a propane tank. My garage is not insulated...the heater helps alot until the top drops into the lower 20s or below....then it just sort of keeps me alive! That combination of concrete, cast iron and 15F is brutal! If the temp goes much lower than that, and it does, I pretty much give up.

Comment

My electric company included this handy conversion chart to compare BTU/$. All values assume 100% efficiency which is always true for resistive electric and essentially true for non-vented burners (although much of the heat is smoke).

Heating oil 140,000 Btu/gal
                Electricity 3413 Btu/Kwh
                Natural gas 100,000 Btu/therm
                Propane 92,700 Btu/gal
                Hardwood 26 million Btu/cord

With electriciy at around $.085/Kwh in my
                area that's about 40,000 Btu/dollar. Last I heard, propane was about $1.90/gal or about 49,000 Btu/dollar.
                The small cost saving of propane would not be worth the exhaust issues. The other choices
                would offer more significant savings.

Comment

Working...
                X