X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This approach may work for Ridgid

Perhaps Ridgid should take a lesson from John Deer! I asked a work acquaintance who moonlights at HD what is up with HD selling John Deer, are they making an economy line to be distributed through HD? He replied that HD inked a two-year deal to sell JD equipment. HD employees involvement is limited to collecting cash for a sale and pushing the item out the door. HD must provide ample space for the JD rep to come in and set up and display all the equipment. Do you see where I’m going with this?

Woodslayer

prior to this....maybe you remeber HD carried a "scotts" brand lawn mower and tractor. These were made exculsively for home depot by John Deere. JD quit making them for HD was not portraying them in the best light and backing up the product to JD standards/expectations.

wow this sounds familiar
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

True, but now the HD's in my area are selling John Deere brand riding mowers. That name pretty much sells itself, like Ridgid.
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

All the big boxes do the same thing. There are even sales reps that are in charge of the sheds that you see sitting in front of the stores. My experiences at Lowes have not been any better than at HD. In fact, they've been worse.

Went to buy a sheet of laminate, limited choice of bad colors of which half were cracked. 10, count 'em 10 employees walked right by me without ever saying so much as hi while I was trying to buy some laminate. (at least an HD employee acknowledges you're there, even if they don't help.) I've had similar experiences in the tool dept, lumber/building materials, electrical, and plumbing. (forgot, garden too.)

My point is that the employees are all the same. It's up to the reps to teach the sales staff about the product. Those who care more will sell more.

Comment

yes.....and john deere stands behind john deere....much like emerson stands behind ridgid. HD was supposed to stand behind scotts....but they dropped the ball. so john deere took over. i would be willing to bet that within the next two years...ridgid will be replaced by "emerson"

Comment

A lot of it has to do with name recognition. If I saw an Emerson table saw, I would have passed it right by. I see Ridgid which makes very good contractor tools and I stop and look. John Deere will get more sales because of the name recognition than the Scotts name did.

Like many have stated, it's all in the rep's hands. If they do a good job educating the employees and keeping up on things, sales increase. (If you took a playboy bunny and covered her in S@#T at the store, people would stay away. keep her clean, and she could sell that same S#@T for $5 a pound! Not sure what that may have to do with the price of milk, but I tried to make a comparison.)

Comment

Mike

i agree with that to a point. i think if you saw an emerson table saw with a "lifetime warranty" you would have given it a look? i know i would. and i would personally research all the mfgrs in my price range to get the best tool for the money. will admit that the ridgid name sells the tool in a lot of cases, but it is in part because of the lifetime warranty and reputation/customer support. Emerson is really the company backing ridgid. I guess the point i was trying to make is that JD discontinued the Scotts line, not HD...simply because HD was not heeping up with the quality and service expected from the JD name. Hopefully it will not come to this with Ridgid!

Comment

Re: 11 employes walked by at HD! (Heh) I shot all kinds of digital photos of the Ridgid BS1400 and little Ryobi bench top BS from every angle without anyone asking me why etc. Tried to get permission to do that at a Delta store and was denied. also recently did comparative shots at Sears of Craftsman band saws. Obviously did not do this with store manager i.e. wearing tie looking over my shoulder.

Comment

Re: 11 employes walked by at HD! (Heh) I shot all kinds of digital photos of the Ridgid BS1400 and little Ryobi bench top BS from every angle without anyone asking me why etc. Tried to get permission to do that at a Delta store and was denied. also recently did comparative shots at Sears of Craftsman band saws. Obviously did not do this with store manager i.e. wearing tie looking over my shoulder. cald@maplenet.net

Comment

Originally posted by Cal:
                    Re: 11 employes walked by at HD! (Heh) I shot all kinds of digital photos of the Ridgid BS1400 and little Ryobi bench top BS from every angle without anyone asking me why etc. Tried to get permission to do that at a Delta store and was denied. also recently did comparative shots at Sears of Craftsman band saws. Obviously did not do this with store manager i.e. wearing tie looking over my shoulder. cald@maplenet.net

Comment

ONCE AGAIN WE HAVE UNHAPPY RIDGID FANS AND OWNERS COMPLAINING ABOUT HOME DEPOT. I WOULD PREFER TO BUY MY RIDGID TOOLS FROM A BETTER RATED RETAILER. ONE DAY RIDGID WILL WAKE UP AND SELL THEIR QUALITY TOOLS AT A QUALITY STORE.

Comment

Working...
                      X