X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help finding a model/part number please

this past weekend i picked up a tool box at a garage sale for eight bucks. had a few neat items in it one of which being an OLD craftsman plane. sorry as i have yet to be able to figure out how ro post pictures to this board. any idea where i might be able to find the part number on this thing? the foot measures 14" X 2 1/2 inches. it has a grooved foot. AND in all honesty it is goig to be cheaper to replace the blade, cutter clamp and screw than to clean them up. I know i can go and get a record blade at berlands, woodcraft, etc, but the other items might be a problem. where can i look for a model number on this thing to cross it on sears's site and order what i need?

thanks for any insight

ed
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Ed, here is what the sears site suggests ...
    Results:
    Check your Plane in the following location(s) to find the model number.

Stamped into Cutter

On Cutter Box Label

What you have is the equivalent to a Stanley #5 Jack Plane
    Warning: You are at the top of a very slippery slope. If you get into hand tools and follow some of the links I will provide your christmas list may change drasticly and you may start to refer to power power tools as 'tailed devils'

Here is what happened to me ...
    Yours would be like the second from left

This site will give you links on how to use it, tune it, sharpen it and soooo much more
    Links site

This is a dangerous forum, I spend hours each week learning from the experts here
    Ski Lift to top of the Slope

Comment

thaks. yeah i have a jointer, amd a hand held power planer. every now and then you need the old hand plane to get the job done. i can not figure out how to upload pictures here so i can not even post a pic here

Comment

ok forgive my ignorance. i know what the cutter is. what is the "cutter box"?

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma:
          ok forgive my ignorance. i know what the cutter is. what is the "cutter box"?
          I believe that would be the box the cutter came in. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
          Lorax
          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

well this was a garage sale find. no box. and i see nothing on the blade. i have contacted sears parts and their customer service is going to hell. the stanley #5 jack plane is what i emailed to sears and they came back with nothing. i am awaiting a reply from stanley on this. this was a three dollar buy and it is in very good shape considering. a little rust to clean with a brass brush and so on. i could probably clean up and save the cutter and cutter cap, the biggest problem is rust. no nicks in the blade and actually although it needs to be honed it is still pretty sharp. the only identifiers i can find on this "made in the usa" and craftsman on the very top piece (sorry kind of new to planes, dont know all the terminology). no numbers on this thing whatsoever. but it does look like the #5 stanley jack plane. the little bit of research i have done on planes i know that years ago stanley/bailey were plane makers. i guess the question is, did they make this plane, or did craftsman make its own. i think stanley made it. i have contacted stanley as their on line parts catalog is kind of hard to follow, and none of their part numbrs cross over on the sears site. perhaps i should take these two items to a local shop and have the cutter sharpened and cleaned up. or just go to berlands and buy (or order on line a record blade) the curved piece that on top of the blade is rusted pretty bad too. the best and easiest way is to go ahead and buy new parts.....especially since the thing only cost me 3 bucks. foot is level, i put it on my table saw and it does not rock nor can you see light through it. so some minor clean up on the main body foot, etc. the cutter and thing that sets on top of it is the problem.

i wish i knew how to upload pictures to this site.
            cant figure that out for some reason!

ed

Comment

Working...
            X