Another Clamp Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Clamp Question

Has anyone found a way to keep those little orange rubber pieces you can buy for your bar clamps to stay on? i have tried every glue i could think of, but nothing works. I even had the bright idea of taking that self stick cork and putting it on the clamp edges and sliding the orange pieces over that and that failed. i obviously use scrap wood while clamping projects but those orange pads are still a nice touch, if they would just stay on!
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Try this, it worked for me. I took the clamp apart as if I was going to use it as a spreader. Once I had it apart, I took the pads and reversed them so that the open end of the pad was facing up. Occassionally, they will slide down a little and I have to snug them back up but they do seem to stay on the clamp much better mounted this way.

EDIT: This BB really needs spell checker. OK, I really need spell checker.

[ 11-13-2004, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Badger Dave ]
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Dave

i appreciate your respose but i am confused

sorry
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

This may sound a bit strange, but it really works for me. I'm a Ham Radio operator (another favorite hobby) and there is this stuff called "Coax Seal". Radio Shack used to sell it, as well as a few other electronic supply stores. Basically it's this black plastic, tape-like putty that comes in a small roll with a paper carrier. Simple rip off a small piece from the paper carrier (like 1/8 or 1/4 inch square and stick it between the pad and the clamp jaw. This stuff is easy to mold and is very tacky! Just make sure the pad and clap are clean. The rubber pad won't fall off and yet, with a little effort will pry loose. It sells for about $3.40 a roll and I have found it good for sealing the car windows and just holding stuff in place like those floppy little vents on the Miata. The stuff holds like glue but can still be peeled away without damage. It is moisture proof and self leveling and will stick almost anything to anything. I've even stuck my radio on top of the dash with it, and except in the summer when extreme heat makes it act like tar, it simply doesn't move!

Hope this helps,

CWS

[ 11-14-2004, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma:
          Dave

i appreciate your respose but i am confused

sorry
          [img]redface.gif[/img] Oops, brain fart. I read bar clamps in your original post and pictured Quick-Grip clamps. Sorry.
          I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Working...
          X