X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To those who visit TheWoodCellar.com

I know that many of you visit and some of you post at www.TheWoodCellar.com , which is why I am posting this here.
    My web host has suspended the account. It appears that someone sent out SPAM mail with a 'spoofed' return email address leading back to my domain. As a result the webhost has suspended the account. I have sent them numerous emails and left a phone message with them, yet they do not respond.
    This spam mail is not my fault or responsibility, this could happen to anyone with an email address. I will not post the name of this unprofessional webhost company here. I hope to have my site up and running next week with another host. I will post the name of the unprofessional host on my site.
    Unfortunately I am unable to get all the member info and logins, and years of posts since I am locked out of the site.
    Thank you for your support.
    Rafael
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

If you have not found a host yet, Aplus hosting is a great company. I have been with them for many years. I posted notice on my site about the Spam and virus emails people were getting from my site. All emails to my site go to my outlook and replies come from my Bellsouth addy. I can't send an email from My site, hoistman.com if I wanted to. http://www.aplushosting.com/english/index.phtml
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks for recommendation. I will talk to them. I have found a host who is familiar with the problem and says they do not shut down sites that are victims. But I would like a host that will work to prevent the problem from recurring.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

www.TheWoodCellar.com is back up and running!
        Thank you for your patience.
        Rafael www.TheWoodCellar.com
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

just joined looks like fun
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Doesn't work for me? Everytime I click on one of your links or manually type in the address I get knocked off the Internet as soon as I hit the enter key. Any idea why thats happening?
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Badger, could be a cookie or your browsers buffer saved the site info from when the site wasn't working, that happened to me, it that case it isn't really looking for the site it just returns saying the site doesn't exist or some other message. Turning your computer off might clear the problem.
              Anyway, the link below my sig line here works, give it a try.
              Thanks,
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Rafael, you have a PM.

Comment

Badger,
                  The problem is with firefox and netscape browsers. The page is cached in memory differently than with IE. When you try to go to the site, instead of actually going there your pc is recalling the last time it was there.
                  Rebooting your computer should fix it. Let me know if that does it. If it doesn't work try this link directly to the woodcellars forum:
                  woodcellar forum
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Whatever you did appears to have solved my problem.

Comment

I have the same problem with netscape and mozilla type browsers. I consider it a bug.
                      Glad it worked out for you.
                      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

The site is having a problem again because of a spammer. If I ever meet a spammer he will wish he was never born. I am working with the hosting co. to permanently resolve this issue. I hope to have things back to normal ASAP.
                        Thanks for your patience.
                        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I read that a spammer in Russia was beaten to death by someone who disliked his spam. Justice.
                          Anyway, my host is being difficult, I have a new host and hope to be back online by the end of the week. The only problem is that all the posts and account info may not be available due to the host being less than businesslike.
                          Thanks for your support and patience.
                          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Rafael,

That spoofing of return e-mail addresses is a wide-spread problem with spammers. I read recently where someone was organizing a counter-attack on spammers. I hope it works. I get returned spam notifications in my inbox for stuff that I know isn't going out of my machine. I have my systems locked down. But they have ways of grabbing other legit e-mail addresses.

You have to be careful about putting your e-mail address out on the web. Never include it as straight text on your web pages. Spiders can find that and send it back to the spammer to abuse. Use a complex javascript function to build a string and display it when the page is loaded. Also consider setting up a HOTMAIL account to use for your site so that if it does become the target of spammers, it won't link back to your web site host.

I wonder if I can send those people in Russia that beat that spammer a "Thank You" card?

Good luck, Rafael.

[ 07-28-2005, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: George ]

Comment

George,
                              What bugs me is that my host says that my site was used to send spam. I looked at my bandwidth usage and that is not possible. I do not have a busy site, any spamming from it would be noticed. My site does not display the email addresses of the members, I can't even see them through my admin account, they are private and encrypted.
                              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X