X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving concerns

I am getting ready to make a cross country move. i own a ridgid table saw (10" contractors), and a ridgid jointer. i am sure our moving company is a great company but i am not sure how much experience they may have in moving these items. what if anything should i be concious of/make the movers aware of if necessary, to ensure an uneventful move? looking for any insight at all. thanks
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

#1 thing...never move the TS by the rails. We moved mine twice last year (tried to move to a "quieter life" in East Texas, but partnership deal with cousin failed miserably and then Sept 11th happened, so we bolted back to Dallas)...both moves we put the TS on a plywood "skid" and slid it up the ramp to the inside of the truck. Not sure about the jointer, but my guess would be to use a dolly and do not touch the tables (and while they are loading the tools....watch 'em like a hawk!)...

Good luck in your move...where you going?
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

I'm not sure that it matters but I would also consider 2 other things. 1. Have them lay the tools on their sides as opposed to standing upright or make VERY certain the tools will not fall over in transit. 2. I would also unlock just about everything that could be unlocked ( Height, mitre, table and fence adjustments for example ). This would help prevent these items from being put in a bind while being moved and may prevent damage.
      I have to do basically the same thing with a transit and site level when we move from location to location or put them up for the day.
      Good luck

Comment

I would check in the what is covered my the movers insurance. I would get pictures of all the equipment as it looks before the move. Also. If you want to do any of the packing up be sure they will cover it if it get damaged some time they dont cover self packed item. Hope all goes well for you. And I hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-29-2002, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: danomal ]
        Dan<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/pepaw101</a>

Comment

i am moving back to chicago from california. the insurance we have is a full replacement insurance on anything damaged in transit so replacing it is not a concern for me per se. they sent an estimator out the other day and when i asked him if they would be taking the stuff apart, he said "it depends on the driver". if they dont pull it apart do you recommend moving it with or without the blade attached? (table saw obviously).

Comment

I don't see a problem with the blade as long as it is retracted, however I STRONGLY recommend removing the motor assembly.
            Leaving that much weight cantilevered off the arbor is asking for trouble.

Comment

I would remove the motor, rails, blade guard and fence. I purchased my saw used and had it shipped from florida. I would not take the chance of some loader lifting the saw from the rails. Goodluck.
              Reggie
              Reggie

Comment

well i took most of your advice but still ended up with a problem. damn movers did not wrap either of my items and my saw and jointer was delivered with quite a bit of rust on the cast iron assys. needless to say i am not happy

Comment

Another tip, and this is also for you guys moving miter saws around, position and miter and bevel out of any indexes. This prevents the index pin from rattling in its seat. Its really amazing what vibrations of a vehicle can do to a tool over time.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                  X