RIDGID RADIO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by papadan
    I don't believe any patents could hold up on something like this. everyone makes changes and comes out with thier version of the same thing. I think it was Marcone that invented the radio (but don't quote me on that, long time since school) and since then there are a million different radios and readio combinations that have been made. Any change of original design means it is a new product. BD made a joke of a Radio/ShopVac/Charger/Ipod unit and bosch actually put the Ipod adapter on thiers. I don't remeber the brand name but there is a plastic tool box for carring a drill and accesories that has a small shop vac built into it for clean up after drilling. LOL One advantage ridgid would have is thier batteries are unlike any others out there. All others have the post that sticks into the tool or charger. From the highend milwaukees to the cheapest chinese crap. Ridged uses the slide on mounting for thier batteries. Take the Bosch with Rad./char./CD/ outlets/ Ipod. Add a work light built into the unit and you have a new product that you can patent. LOL
    Believe it or not, but patents are what held up Milwaukee and Bosch from releasing a radio.

And Ridgid batteries are not the only ones that are slide packs. Milwaukee, Skil, Porter Cable, Black & Decker, some DeWalt, some Bosch. Slide packs and "neck" batteries both have their advantages and disadvantages. Neck batteries are designed to release upon sudden impact, such as in a fall. The impact energy is dispersed through the two pieces rather than being concentrated at the locking point. Downside is that less secure copnnection to the tool. Slide packs are on more securely but make a weak point during a fall. The tool will take the full impact during a fall.
    I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

I really hate the "neck" like batteries for since my old boss dropped on through a 200 dollar sink. Milwaukee's slide battery is sometimes hard to remove, i had a co-worker that would always company about it. In some cases you probably just get dust in there. To keep this from happening to me every Friday i blow out my tools with an air compressor. It's incredible how much dust comes out.
      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

It's a real pity that Ridgid is still no able to make a radio. I agree with papadan, Why should one company be able to have a patent on an idea. There is a big difference between copying and reverse engineering. People reverse engineering and IBM to make compatible... now we have several different computer brands and the infamous Apples. All we want is a radio that will get good sound and charge a battery or run off a battery.
        Who made the dual port charger first Ridgid or Dewalt? If it was Ridgid then why can't we have a Ridgid radio? just take a dual port charger and put some speakers, a tuner, line in jack, antenna, a 8 foot cord and obviously all the electronic components that make a nice radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
          It's a real pity that Ridgid is still no able to make a radio. I agree with papadan, Why should one company be able to have a patent on an idea. There is a big difference between copying and reverse engineering. People reverse engineering and IBM to make compatible... now we have several different computer brands and the infamous Apples. All we want is a radio that will get good sound and charge a battery or run off a battery.
          Who made the dual port charger first Ridgid or Dewalt? If it was Ridgid then why can't we have a Ridgid radio? just take a dual port charger and put some speakers, a tuner, line in jack, antenna, a 8 foot cord and obviously all the electronic components that make a nice radio.
          Why not buy the Bosch? You can plug in your Ridgid charger in the side. It has 4 GFI outlets on it. Or does have to be an official Ridgid branded unit?

I think this is hilarious: "Why should one company be able to have a patent on an idea."

Without intellectual property protection there would be zero incentive for any companies to be innovative and produce new products if as soon as they made something and spent who knows how much on R&D and company #2 comes along and makes it themselves. #2 does not have R&D costs to make up for so they can sell for a lower price and drive #1 out of business. Do you see why copyrights, trademarks, and patents are important??? This should be so evident that is not worth discussing.
          I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

I have never understood why these forums harbor so much animosity.
            36Volt on 1-15-2006.

I think this is hilarious...This should be so evident that is not worth discussing.
            36Volt on 1-18-2006.

I believe a condescending attitude often leads to animosity.

Comment

Originally posted by 36volt
              Why not buy the Bosch? You can plug in your Ridgid charger in the side. It has 4 GFI outlets on it. Or does have to be an official Ridgid branded unit?

I think this is hilarious: "Why should one company be able to have a patent on an idea."

Without intellectual property protection there would be zero incentive for any companies to be innovative and produce new products if as soon as they made something and spent who knows how much on R&D and company #2 comes along and makes it themselves. #2 does not have R&D costs to make up for so they can sell for a lower price and drive #1 out of business. Do you see why copyrights, trademarks, and patents are important??? This should be so evident that is not worth discussing.
              So why isn't there a big lawsuit about batteries? Who made the first Ni-Cad or NM-HI. the rechargeable battery was an idea but no two brands are the same style except those made buy the some company (Black&Decker / Dewalt). An idea for a tool or appliance is so simple. I came up with an idea for a way to unroll Romex wire off a spool without the strain of drilling holes in two studs and hanging the wood or plastic spool on some re-bar. MY boss went to a welding class and made a larger version from metal. I served the same purpose, but didn't look just like mine. I spent one hour making it and i could stand on it when i was Finished. I can take some duck tap and make my own radio charger with a line in jack and 4 gfci outlets. But i may be sued for doing this since someone had patented the idea. And if i felt like spending $179.00 for a radio/cdplayer/charger/4 outlets/mp3player and a line in jack. Dewalt's in $129.00 and Milwaukee's is $89 (and only runs on Milwaukee 12-18v batteries batteries) If i had been able to afford Bosch tools then i wouldn't even be typing this right now.

By the way 36 volt cjh20 is right. You may be unintentionally try to make someone look like a fool and you'll not like the reaction you get in turn.

PS. HE HAW HE HAW

Comment

So 36volt either you are taking you time to read this or your reply is going to
                be very long.......

Don't let your feathers be ruffled so easily...

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
                  So 36volt either you are taking you time to read this or your reply is going to
                  be very long.......

Don't let your feathers be ruffled so easily...
                  I'm here, had to relocate a possum tonight. Second one we caught chowing down on the catfood we put out for our outside-only cat.

On to batteries. There are utility patents and design patents. Any patent that begins with a 'D' is a design patent. You can look up all patents on www.uspto.gov. I am not an intellectual property lawyer but I know a few things. Some ideas are too broad to patent. Some companies are able to get broad patents approved only to later be overturned. Read up on the BlackBerry NTP battle going on for a similar example. Now NTP has taken the low road with intellectual property, by patenting things and sitting on them either to sell, license, or just to sue anyone who tries to infringe or copy. (I think NTP will ultimately lose because there are way too many government officials using BlackBerries).

Power tool manufacturer's patent the mold of their batteries to prevent third parties from producing batteries for their tools at a cheaper price. This is a design patent. The agreed on market price for an 18 volt pro battery is $69-$89 dollars or so. By patenting their battery designs they also force users to use their battery chargers. Black & Decker got sued when they introduced a battery charger that would charge other manufacturer's batteries. Makita if I remember correctly. Maybe others. I think it was called the Universal Express or something. Great charger if you can find one.

Ok I keep getting off track. Patents like all intellectual property expire. Different time periods for different types I think. Was there ever a Ni-Cd patent? Maybe, I don't know. Think about RotoZip: patented product for years (20 I think). As soon as that patent was up, every company had their own spiral saw. By giving the originator exclusive rights to an idea, it gives them time to develop their idea in the marketplace without the big companies coming in and taking their ideas. Here's another good example: Velcro. No longer protected by patents, other than the trademarked name 'Velcro'. Anyone can produce "hook & loop" fasteners.

Ok you're right, this is long.

If you make your own radio/charger you aren't going to get sued. There's no point. You didn't make any money and you didn't detract from Bosch's sales of their unit. If you start producing them then you might get a cease and desist order. It's all a game that lawyers decide if it is worth playing.

You could patent your Romex invention. If there is a market for it. Prove there is a market first or else you'll waste money on the patent process. You can even sell your product commercially for a year before deciding if you want to patent it and you'll take precedence to anyone trying to capitalize on your idea.

Did I leave anything out? Sorry for the length, tried to cover all the bases.

Comment

I have been trying to find out how well Li Ion batteries work when it is 6 degrees Fahrenheit and regular batteries won't charge.....
                    ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?????

If the batteries will charge in the cold then that would prove Li Ion is worth the slimmer wallet.

Comment

Sparky,

The following paragraph is directly from Milwaukees website. I have personally used the 28v tools and know first hand they do very well in cold weather. ( +4 degree first hand use),They also do quite well in 105 degree heat. As a professional tradesman who uses his tools hard every day I can reccomend this line without reservation. The power guide on the battery is a godsend

Anyway, here is the quoted paragraph and one word of caution, once you use these tools for a day your 18v will never seem the same......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      There are numerous patents pending on the V™ Li-Ion technology, with Milwaukee being the first with published patent applications on its Li-Ion technology for power tools. To ensure its Li-Ion battery offers its professional users unparalleled performance, Milwaukee engineered a patent-pending Performance Optimization Circuit into all of its Li-Ion battery packs. This technology allows V™ products to operate at peak performance under extreme conditions, such as hot or cold temperatures or battery heating due to overuse. Most competitive Li-Ion batteries run hotter, feel hotter, and need to cool down before charging can be initiated adding substantially to their charging time. They may need a cooling fan in the charger to prevent potential damage and reduce charging heat. Milwaukee’s Li-Ion batteries may get only slightly warmer during extreme applications. Also, they perform better in extreme cold environments, down to -4°F, not experiencing the tremendous loss of power as NiCd or Ni-MH batteries do with temperatures dropping below 32°F.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

"People reverse engineering and IBM to make compatible... now we have several different computer brands and the infamous Apples."

If by that you mean people reverse engineered the IBM computer and now we have several different brands of IBM compatible machines and the infamous Apple computer line, it didn't go down that way.

IBM choose to license their technology which allowed many to manufacture what have become known as IBM compatibles or clones (the white box no name computers and everything from ComPaq to Dell and Gateway and everybody else). Apple choose a different route, they elected to retain control over what the Apple line of computers would look like and what functions and features they would have. The best way to do that was to make them all themselves. You also make more money per unit with the Apple model, IBM only received royalties and licensing fees plus the profits on the computers they manufactured themselves. That is why IBM compatibles flooded the market and gained such a large market share, not because they were better than the Apple machines.
                        Last edited by Bob D.; 01-21-2006, 07:19 AM.
                        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Two guys started making apples in their garage to start. I was a little tired when i typed that post. IBM's were reverse engineered and that was the, I believe, birth of Compaq. It happened with one guy taking apart an IBM and then making a list of specifications. He hands that list to a different guy who then makes some circuit boards that perform the same functions. I don't know everything I read about 6 years ago but....howmany people can remeber everything?

Comment

Got a little off tract from the Ridgid radio. All though it would have been cool to have a radio. I'm still curios of Ridgid had a patent on the two bay charger? I think dewalt came out with theirs recently. My friends Ridgid charger is on G03??? and so 2 years after this I notice dewalt two bay chargers. If their was a Patent then dewalt owes Ridgid or TTI some money. If not then someone really dropped the ball that time!

Does anyone know how long Dewalts patten for the radio is over?

Comment

I hear that because Dewalt still has a patent on the charger part of the radio, as well as 15 other patents on their radio they are waiting for the patent to run out. No joke they actually patented the antenna and the way the wire is wrapped. No a big surprise from the dips at dewalt.

Comment

Radio

DeWalt has the patent on the radio/charger for another year and a half , as soon as it expires you can bet the Ridgid radio/charger will come out soon after!!

Comment

Working...
                                X