X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty issues?

I bought a 18v combo set less than a year ago from HD. They were pushing the "Lifetime" warranty. I needed service on a the drill and took it to one of their "recomended" warranty dealers. The first one says " since he cannot sell their product, he is not doing tool repairs for Rigid" the second one has now had tool for over 2 months, (their excuse is they are waiting for parts) I called HD and they told me to get everything together and bring it back to them and they would replace it with a new kit. They informed me that I would not get the lifetime warranty now. I am leary of opening the box and using the new tools since the warranty is no longer. So from what the other posts I am reading, Ryobi may have bought them out, but Rigid /Emerson is a separate company, why cannot the original warranty stay with the tools? For those of us who make a living with power tools, Warranty is one of the key factors (along with quality, features) in a purchase

First, I would not "swap" my lifetime warranted tool for a new 3-year warranted one. It is nice that HD is making you that offer I suppose, but I presume that the reason you purchased the tool to begin with was because of the warranty.

That said, I would then call the Ridgid support number and ask to speak with someone who can help with the part issue. Ryobi IS handling the support (as they do with Craftsman), but my experience with them is that they are courteous and will try to help. There is a "license agreement" between Ridgid and One World Technologies which basically has them manufacturing and servicing tools under the Ridgid name.

I agree with you totally about the fact that service should be prompt and personally I think two months is not exactly service by any definition. Your "lifetime" warranty gives you very specific rights. I would suggest that you document your contacts, get names, dates, times, excuses, etc. Then, if you cannot get this straightened out in a timely manner, I would probably be inclined to bring the matter to my State Attorney General's attention, with copies to the excutive offices of Ryobi, Ridgid, and Home Depot. All too often, warranties are issued to enhance the chances of a sale and then the customer is ignored. I'm not saying that Rigid or Ryobi is doing this intentionally, but problems like this do seem to be all too evident.

Hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

i wonder how long will it take an attorney general settle such an issue, if at all they do...

Comment

I don't really know... but a few years ago I purchased a computer, which arrived dead!. I went back to the manufacturer and they sent a second unit, also dead. A third attempt also arrived dead. This was over a four month period and my patience was gone. I went to the library, grabbed the Standard and Poor's and located the CEO's address and wrote him a letter with past event's timelined. I got a call from a lower level manager a week later and wasn't overly happy with his attitude or resolution of "fixing" the last computer and returning it to me. Afterall, I reasoned, I wasn't purchasing a "repaired" computer... but a brand new, working one. I then sent a second letter to the CEO and threatened to contact the NY State Attorney General's office. The next day I received a personal phone call from the Division president and was informed that I had a new working unit on its way via FedX. The Division manager also said they were including a couple of options, that would hopefully make up for their lack of service. The product arrived, the options added at least $150 to the value, and I was happier.
        So, I think the option is valid. Warranties do have legal validity, that is why they are there. A manufacturer needs to ensure its prospective customers that its products are as good or better than its competitors. The warranty is the legal document which provides certain rights to the purchaser. I'm not an attorney, just a citizen who gets a bit tired of spending money on products that don't hold up or fail to meet specifications. Subsequently, I'll go to whatever ends necessary to "hold their feet to the fire". I do my homework before I make a purchase, and I don't push a tool to it's limits or abuse things that I have purchased. So, if it breaks because I used it wrong, that's one thing, but having it fail within the limits of the warranty, is something a manufacturer needs to be held accountable for.

IMHO,

CWS

Comment

Working...
        X