X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HAMMERS!!

Tennis pro shop might be some serious $$$. Ever try the self-sealing silicone tape in the electrical dept.? Not very expensive, sure works nice. Will even seal minor plumbing leaks. Put it on, let it set up 24 hours before use. Even has some shock absorbing qualities. Probably very similar (if not same thing) used by tennis pros too. Just a thought.
    Jim Don

Comment

Jim has a great idea and it sure would cost less.

What I really had in mind, I needed to go find in my junk pile. I found it in a major sporting good store some time ago. It's a blue rubber-felt like grip tape called "Turna-Grip" and not saving the package, I have no idea who made it.

Back many years ago I remember using cloth adheasive medical tape on softball-baseball bats. Maybe that would work on hammer handles. I'm thinking mostly of wood handles and sledge hammers. There are loads of choices and what one person likes another may not.

Comment

Most certainly JimDon, called up my brother(electrician) and asked if he has any. No problem, so I'll trot over there in the morning and get it from him, the price is right, thats for sure.....Thanx....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Stanly graphite framing hammer.

Comment

use a estwing 22oz for framing and a 16oz fiberglass handled craftsmen for finish work. i used to use the wood handled craftsmen hammer but i got sick of replacing it

Comment

Stanley antivibe for general purpose and a 18oz malco for sheetmetal.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have the Estwing 21 ounce fiberglass - picked it up at a half price sale last year. It is AWESOME!!! Best hammer I have ever used, left me with 2 out of 10 fingernails that weren't black. Other hammers, 0 out of 10....
                I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

If you do not care about your wrist or carpal tunnel problems go Est wing, or if your providing hammers to others, there great gorilla hammers. (some of them are OK, and not much handle vibration. but others will have your fingers asleep in a few swings.

but for my own use I like the wood handle plumb, the fiber glass handle plumb a close second. but like many have said, my good hammer is nearly 30 years old. and my fiber glass one is about 20 years old.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My best maintenance hammer is a 18 ounce Vaughan electrician's hammer, with an extended face and fiberglass handle. It drives nails in tough, recessed places, like pipe/tube straps in walls. The hollow fiberglass handle is not too rough on the hands.I found another one, fairly worn and sans handle, so I rehandled it with hickory and keep it in my "B"-kit.

Overall, I still like a wood handle hammer for extended nail driving, and I have old Stanleys, Vaughan's & Plumbs up to 28 ounces or so. Hickory is still the best shock absorber. Almost all of my ball-peens & heavy hammers are wood handled for the same reason.
                    Last edited by TDX; 08-13-2008, 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Here is a picture of my Victory Hammer.

Mark
                      Attached Files
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        Here is a picture of my Victory Hammer.

Mark
                        Hey, wrong thread!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          Hey, wrong thread!
                          Hey it said Hammers so I assumed they were talking about motorcycles hence the picture of my Victory Hammer.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by TDX View Post
                            My best maintenance hammer is a 18 ounce Vaughan electrician's hammer, with an extended face and fiberglass handle. It drives nails in tough, recessed places, like pipe/tube straps in walls. The hollow fiberglass handle is not too rough on the hands.I found another one, fairly worn and sans handle, so I rehandled it with hickory and keep it in my "B"-kit.

Overall, I still like a wood handle hammer for extended nail driving, and I have old Stanleys, Vaughan's & Plumbs up to 28 ounces or so. Hickory is still the best shock absorber. Almost all of my ball-peens & heavy hammers are wood handled for the same reason.
                            I'm with you on the hickory handles. Once we get used them them the other handles just feel wrong.

Picture of Electrician's Hammer only this has a fiberglass handle with rubber grip. Just more Yaupo Schight if you ask me.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Woussko; 08-14-2008, 12:46 AM.

Comment

i have a nice estwing steel ball pein hammer.

Comment

I bought my first hammer for my first real full time job as a carpenter in 1978. Craftsman. Still have it and still use it. My dad sold Craftsman at Sears so I was brainwashed with Craftsman at an early age.

Comment

Working...
                                X