Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAMMERS!!

Everyone loves a great hammer!!

which one is your favourite and why?

i need a new one and i am currently undecided so let me know what you use.

it will get used alot!

thanks!!

I have a Estwing 22 Oz. Smooth Face Framing Hammer. I loved using it doing residential work. And have found it very handy still in commercial.

A hammer brand really doesn't matter to me but, if you want to just pound the crap out of things this hammer is great but guard it well.
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Hammers

All my small hammers are Estwing. They rule, although I have been thinking about buying one of those Stanley's with the internal tuning fork.
      Phil
      Tools Rule

Comment

I have a 16 oz wood handled Craftsman hammer that my Dad gave me in 1972. Have never needed anything else!
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax
          I have a 16 oz wood handled Craftsman hammer that my Dad gave me in 1972. Have never needed anything else!
          I, like you have a treasured hammer. Mine's an old Plumb from my grandfather from just after the WWII. I don't dare use it for everyday use. To me this is a collector's item.
          Phil
          Tools Rule

Comment

I, too, have Plumb hammers--three of them. One with a wood handle and two with fibreglas. Had them since the late 50's and early 60's. When I worked in the trade I wouldn't have anything else. Don't know if they are still around, though. When you go looking for a hammer, take a thin brad with you and try to lift the hammer by the claw with it . If it doesn't grab the claw, be leery of it.

Jim

Comment

I have an old Craftsman carpenter's hammer with a long claw. (Without looking, I think it's a 20 oz) It was my first new hammer and was given to me as a gift back in the late 60's. I also have a Stanley wooden handle 16 oz, with a short claw (marked 91-1/2 ?) which I bought at around the same time, as I recall.

Both have served me well, through two houses and a number of projects from putting on a new roof to building a deck and countless other things. Both are in great shape and for general carpentry, I don't imagine I'll ever need anything else.

CWS

Comment

Like a fine wine....

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid
                Had them since the late 50's and early 60' s
                So this got me to thinkin'. Just how old is this "Kid". 73! God Bless Ya! Must still be a kid at heart, eh?
                Lorax

Comment

I've got a 3 lb Roughneck brand hand sledge that help's me get tight parts to fit. Doesn't work too well with brads, tho.
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Hammers

Lorax: you are right on. I am 73. Have had the Pipestone Kid handle since the 60's, too! (You remember CB's don't you?):-)

Comment

CB? Carol Burnette?

Mercy sakes alive Good Buddy! Looks like we got us a CONVOY!
                      Lorax

Comment

My favorite claw hammer is an old steel "plumb" hammer. can't even remember when I bought it. I have several hand sledges and ball peens but my favorite ball peen is an old wooden handled hammer my father gave me. Its about a 20 or 22 oz. hammer and has peened more lead, brass and copper than all my others combined. I won't use it on chisels or punches anymore because I don't want to shock the original handle anymore than necessary.
                        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

A Vaughn "California Framer" for wood, a Vaughn Ball Pein for metal.
                          the dog

Comment

estwing forward hammer

I just purchased this hammer at home depot the model wf21.
                            This is the 14" handle 21oz smooth face hammer

It really looks weird! and as a left handed person I was cautious but once in my hand it has a very comfortable fit.

I was not sure about the 14" handle as I have longer handles on my other hammers, never the less a nice feel.

I then did the test overhead hammering. I did a few #8 nails and the effort was minimal. It took a few hits for the #16 nail but still a comfortable swing.

It will take a bit to get used to the short throw as the typical hammer head is longer and you sort of wind up to hit the nail.
                            I was also concerned about the head distance in close areas but not a problem.

so much for hunting down a "left handed hammer"

cactus man in Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
                              A Vaughn "California Framer" for wood, a Vaughn Ball Pein for metal.
                              Like PlumbDog my current hammer is a Vaughn "California Framer" . I'm surprised at how well balanced it is in my hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X