X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred lighting

What type of lighting do you prefer for your home?

A. Incadescent
    B. Flourescent
    C. Halogen
    Marcus Rinaldi<BR>Service Tech<BR>F&W Heating & Cooling

I tried flourescents once...hated them. I changed to incandescents. I now have taken to my two halogens (the ones mounted on a pole) and once on, point them towards the white sheetrock ceiling. This really lights up the shop. The sheetrock is going to disappear someday and be replaced by the joists being covered up top in plywood for storage. This will create very warm lighting when the lights are pointed up and I'm going to mount a few of those worklights on the joists pointed down for spots where I need them. This also has an added advantage in winter...warmth!
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Doesn't it add warmth in the summer too?
      \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

I'd be curious at why flourescent lighting is not liked. I understand there are low temp issues but that can be overcome with lowtemp ballasts. Doesn't flourescent lighting also minimize shadows, have the most efficiency, have the longest life, runs cooler, etc?

[ 12-12-2002, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Ivan ]

Comment

Yes, it does Silver....I don't use them much in the summer, but when they are joist mounted and the AC that I am going to install is running, it will be okay (since heat rises). The ceiling is going to be open to the rafters and several vents will carry the heat out. In winter there will be plywood blocking the open ceiling (about 3 sheets will cover the open part) to keep the heat in.

I don't like flourescent lites for several reasons....

1. They cast a "cold" light...no warmth...very uninspiring (remember Joe vs. the Volcano??)

2. I never worked in an office before and never got used to seeing things in that light.

3. I prefer to see things the way they look in my home or in sunlight rather than in sterile lighting.

4. Most of the finishing that I do is natural stain and poly, so perfectly even lighting is not a requirement.

I know this goes against most woodworker's preferences, but I'm not the normal woodworker. I've always done things from a different tack....probably always will....
          Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Kelly;
            Why do you need halogen light for the warmth in the winter, you don't even own a snowshovel.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Kelly - I generally don't like fluorescents either; in fact, they have been known to cause me to have migraines if they flicker too much. What I use in my shop is a combination of fluorescents and incandescent. I use "warm" bulbs in my fluorescent lights to correct the color temperature problem. If you ever get the urge to try out some fluorescents, look into the warm bulbs as they are a huge improvement over the standard cool bulbs (which I can't stand, either).

Comment

Badger...you're right about the shovel, but it still gets a bit chilly here at times. I am very warm natured and hate the cold. As I get older, my body hates it even more than my face does.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I didn't know you could get warmer bulbs, I'll keep that in mind if the halogens get too hot in the summer, but since the attic will be open then, I see no problems there.

Comment

Working...
                X