Tool researching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tool researching

I have a good situation being the one who designs and develops the products for Gunook Products Inc. A major part of the design comes from LISTENING to what the guys and gals say. There is a lot to learn that way. Of course I hear a lot of complaining also. One group may not like Ridgid and the next group won't use anything but Ridgid. I have not seen any group using 100% one brand of product. I have seen people that hate DeWalt tools, but use Porter Cable nail guns. Go Figure - - - Hmmmm???

Overall, talking to the people who use the tools is best, which includes a forum like this one. There are many knowledgeable people waiting to help that you normally would not have access too.

But, When I am able to walk up and shake someones hand, look them in the eye and ask questions, I like it better. It is especially informative when I bring the beer to the guys after a hot day working in the sun.

Another source I use is the Shows. We participate in the National Hardware Show, STAFDA (Specialty Tools and Fasteners Distributors Assc.), Handy Hardware, Orgill, Allied Builders Show etc. The factory reps are a great source. At the shows, you can find out a lot of info that the sales people at the local hardware or big box store don't know.
    Use Your Head, It's The Little Things That Count
    www.gunook.com

Comment

I use the internet.

Comment

Aside from researching the stores selling the item I'm interested in, then doing a comparison, and checking out the feedback on various web sites, I like to go to YouTube and watch a video of the tool being used.

I found my very favorite tool that way. I just found out about - and promptly purchased - a self-centering hinge bit. I have tons of different uses for it - especially lately since I'm looking at 4 apartment vacancies all at once pretty soon.
        If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Comment

I'm a sponge. I absorb information from many sources and store it away. When ready to buy a new tool, I recall the stored infomation. I'm looking first for quality and ergonomics. Price is the last thing I consider. If I can afford it, fine. If not, I'll just wait. I'm retired so.........

Comment

Working...
          X