Cordless or Cord?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Photoman and Bob B.,

Perhaps you missed the point at which I said, "for me anyway, there is no value"! I certanly agree that for those of you who like cordless tools, it is obvious that the cost and convenience are worthwhile.

However, I believe the Survey Forum post was "Cordless or Cord", was it not? So, I prefer "Cord" and stated why.

With regard to buiding anything off the beaten path I must admit that I'm not in the business of doing that; but if I was, you bet I'd have a generator. That's not to say I haven't built anything in the "field", but those times called for old fashioned hand tools. Of course that was all done for fun and not for business; and, I still have a pretty good selection of screwdrivers and even a nice woodbrace and bit set. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If the power goes off; I can't drill any holes in the dark anyway, so I retire from the shop and go play with my shortwave toys; it's all backed up with an emergency battery system. (See, I'm not completely against batteries! )

Bottom line here is that my opinion wasn't meant to inflame you stalwart cordless users! But you do have to admit there are sure a lot of complaints about the failure and expense of those proprietary battery packs and charging systems!

No disrespect intended or interpreted,

CWS

Comment

CWSmith very well put!!! And I do apologize if I afended anyone,maby I was just having a bad tool day!

Be safe out there folks.
      Bob B
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Be safe out there folks
      Bob B
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

I prefer corded. They are made for real work. I get into some real serious projects and cordless just doesn't stand up. Cordless is for convenience and small jobs.
        The bitterness of poor quality remains long after,the sweetness of cheap price.

Comment

CW, I was not offended, and I certainly dont take offense that easily.
          BTW, if you don't have a generator, some cordless tools are good to have in a power outage. But it is better to have a generator in such an instance.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Max,

Love your "sign off"... I used to have it posted in my office back when I was in the sub-contract technical publications business. My sign read, "The bitter taste of poor quality far outlasts the sweetness of the lowest price!" I'd almost forgotten that until I saw your post. Thanks, it brought back a smile.

CWS

Comment

I find it interesting that the price of quality extention cords and the PITA dealing with them never comes up in a cord vs. cordless discussion. If batteries are a poor value for the money, what about cords? A decent cord with terminals that will hold tight for more than a 50 uses will set you back at least $20. You can buy 250' of romex for that.

Comment

Hi Max,

I see by your sign off that you enjoy Milwaukee's tool talk.
                ----------------------------------------------------

The selection of a cordless tool or a corded tool depends on the job at hand, how much work the tool needs to do and whether or not power is readily available or if it is safe to stretch cords.

If there is just a dozen or so cuts or the job is stretched out over different locations in a plant I prefer cordless. If I need to haul a generator or choose cordless I will choose cordless(Not loading and unloading a heavy generator was worth buying a bunch of batteries) But if there is to be a prolonged project with a lot of Heavy Duty work then I leave the cordless tools on the truck and start setting up my cords and work tables.

I prefer buying the best U.S.A. tools I can get regardless of whether they are cordless or corded. As long as they do what I need them to do.

Of course if you are fabricating iron and steel pipe, cordless is not even an option yet.

Also Bytebutcher makes a great case about the cost and hassle of buying and stretching out cords. Has anyone ever tried to run a tool off a cord that has been run over by a heavy duty forklift that was carrying a 20 ton roll of steel? When the roof is 50 ft over head its not always feasable to hang the cord out of the way. Not to mention I have never seen a good double insulated 10 or 12 gauge cord for less than the price of quality Romex, or even close.

On the same token when you need a double insulated tool in a fuel refinery to prevent becoming a breaking news story on CNN, then a high quality double insulated corded tool with a properly made double insulated cord is the ONLY option regardless of preference or convienance.

just my two cents.
                Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Hi CWSmith & plumber,

I've had that sign hanging in my shop for over 25 years. I live by it. I have friends that buy cheap tools, they spend a fortune on gas & medical supplies (running back to replace a tool that just broke & Band-Aids, gauze, tape). I will never understand that mind set.

Ya, I'm a big Milwaukee fan. Of course, my pipe tools have to be Ridgid!

Comment

Max,

I am with you. Both about Milwaukee tools and Rigid pipe tools.

Also that saying used to be upon a wrought Iron Gate at the entrance to an old slaughterhouse near East St.Louis. The gate remained for decades after the slaughterhouse moved on to greener pastures. It has more meaning now than ever before givin all of the garbage coming in from communist China.
                    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Max,

While I agree with you on "cheap tools", I'm also the kind of guy who finds myself going there all too often. A good story that I like to tell is about the first lawn mower I bought. In 1969, we bought our first home and my dear father-in-law invited me down to the Sears store where he would give me a good deal on a new Craftsman Lawnmower.. Remember the Eager 1 engine, guaranteed to start the first time, all the time... I think they even did a Supebowl commercial that year. Well, at $79 it was a weeks pay for me back then, New old house, and a new baby sort of told be I couldn't afford that little beauty and I graciously declined the good deal he offered. The next day I bought a little $30 lawn mower at my local dicount pharmacy store. My father-in-law was a bit disappointed in me and warned me that "you get what you pay for... and you'll end up coming back to the store in a year or two, you'll see!" I sort of felt bad about it, but all I could afford at the moment was the $30 "bargain". But, I reasoned, it had a Briggs and Stratton engine, so what can go wrong.

To shorten this story up a bit, I ran that thing thru 1993! Replaced the spark plug after about the first 8 years and replaced two wheels at about ten years. Finally afer 24 seasons, the darn pan rusted so bad that wheels started to fall off. But up until that time, the rites of spring would be established with a quick oil check, fill the tank, pull'er through two times with spark off and then ONE pull, and a puff of blue exhaust and mighty roar. And then I'd go in the house and call my father-in-law, and tell him that it's still running so don't set any of those new models aside for me. It became a long standing bit of humour between us a certainly worth a gin & tonic here or there as the years went by.

The point is that even a cheap tool can turn out to be good once in awhile.

CWS

[ 02-03-2005, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

That's a nice story CW.
                        There probably was no difference between the 2 mowers anyway, except price.
                        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Ya, nice story.
                          1969 ... that's when it was harder to find a cheap tool (quality wise). Seems to me, everything lasted longer, regardless of price.
                          I wonder what a cordless drill would of looked like back then. It probably would of came with it's own trailer.

[ 02-05-2005, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: max diyer ]

Comment

driving screws = 14v makita
                            drilling holes concrete/wood whatever = 24v bosch rotary hammer drill gbh-vfr
                            all saws corded silly question you need full time power with a saw or your life is in danger.dying batteries in any saw causes wood to snag and turns messy...
                            nailers wouldnt even think about anything else other than a paslode gas/battery framer and a finsher ...why mess with hoses and all that effort??? so in responce to the qusetion drivers and nail guns cordless .....anything else fulltime power yes please...... OOOOH but lets not forget them wonderful flashlights everyone gives away with anything you buy .... well on the plus side atleast they not corded [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

How many hours a day do you use your tools?

I really love using cordless tools I'm Working on a big Wharehouse and Hate walking all day pulling on extension cords.

And I swear BadgerDave Works and Ace
                              "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                              "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

This corded or cordless thing is not worth the space it takes up on here any more, any true craftsman or carpenter will tell you they both have there place in the field or in the shop.I will tell everyone I use both and there aint nothing better than the one tool I pull out and use for the job to be done! If your stuck between cord or cordless your stuck on stuped, if anyone is ofended to bad oh well, I had a bad tool day...
                                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                                Be safe out there folks
                                Bob B
                                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Working...
                                X