X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224:
    And I swear BadgerDave Works and Ace
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Badgerdave I'm just kidding it's so funny that people will assume things just by your opinions. Nothing personal, I'm just making fun of the guys that cna't figure out what your real job is.

I was playing with my Multi-Meter last night and found out the the Ridgid 18 volt battery is actually charged to 21.9v then after 1 hr drops to 20.5 and stays there for some time.
      My 12v dewalt however doesn't do this. If i had and 18v DeWalt i could make a better comparison.

I can put my Ridgid battery in the charger and, the charger will figure out the level of charge and then top it off.

My DeWalt charges it for and hour no matter what.

As for who works where, I spend so much time looking at tools at home depot, I'm toled I should get a job there. If it was worth it I would since i know more about electrical work than most of HD's employee's.
      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

For my line of work it's either cordless tools or, extension cords as far as the eye can see.

I find it funny that When i was wiring up homes that people keep asking "when are we going to have power?" I need cordless just to save me 30 minutes per assignment at my job. I have to walk a half mile just gathering up all the extenion cords i need to use some tools. If only i could move the cement wall closer to the shop.
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Re: Cordless or Cord?

i use cordless

Comment

I use both

I have a cordless 18v drill for most everything, a cordless sawzall both rigid 6 batteries. A dewalt cordless drill(4 Batteries). A corded drill and 71/4 saw both dewalt. A corded sawzall by Porter cable and a paslode cordless nailer. all excellent tools, all with different todo lists.

Comment

I use both, and am liking the cordless for most of the smaller tools, 2- 1/2" drills, 1 saws all, 1 small 4" grinder, 2 small saws, (one for metal and one for wood), (I don't like the cost of replacement batteries)
              corded and I have a skill 77 saw, a makita 16", cored saws all, hammer drills, hole hawg, a new dewalt angle drill, grinders 4", 6" and a wildcat 9", and many other drills and drivers, and saws,

but if you have big work to do I think you will need the corded tools but if your up on a ladder cutting off rafter tails that little battery saw, sure seems to beat that old skill 77 upon a ladder held above your head,(even it is some what an anemic saw.

I like the convince of the cordless tools and portability of them,
              but I like the power and the long givity , of the corded, (I hate pulling couple hundred feet of cord around), or to get the cord out to drill one hole or a few screws, but If I am going to be working all day in a location then cored are usually the better way to go.

also the frequency of use, if seldom used I suggest the corded, as battery unused IMO seem to die with out reason.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Ridgid Drill - Cordless
                Ridgid Impact - Cordless
                Ridgid Circular Saw -Corded
                Ridgid Miter Saw - Corded
                Black&Decked Table Saw - Corded

I try to keep everything corded because after a couple years the battery's loose there power and start to die. I have put elect. outlets all over my shop and I never have a problem with power.

Comment

right now i have a little of both. for what i do around the house i could go either way. the cordless is handy for me but it doesnt bug me to pull out a cord to plug some thing in when needed. for nailers i have a compressor, dont trust any of that cordless stuff.

cordless 18 volt ridgid 4 pc kit (drill,circ saw, recip saw, flashlight)
                  corded 3/8" makita drill (was a handme down from my dad)
                  corded 10" ryobi miter saw
                  corded porter cable 7 1/4 circ saw
                  corded ridgid 2.5 gal air compressor(and 2 ridgid nal guns. 16 ga./18 ga)
                  corded ridgid 12 gal shop vac

Comment

On the whole, I like the idea of cordless. But life is never that simple.

Cordless is simply for simple jobs and the simple minded.
                    Needless to say the day after the cordless purchase. the battery life goes down,
                    Then, you spend more time recharging than actual working with the tool.
                    Then, after a year you cant get replaceable batteries.
                    Then, if your really STUPID, you buy the next generation of cordless crap.

And then, it starts all over again.
                    And thats the only way the Tool makers can get repeat business.
                    There is no point making Milwaukee quality Tools if they are going to last 10 years or more.

I'm also impressed by the advertising done by shows like Homles on Homes
                    they show every worker using cordless tools, as if WE are all missing something.

Holly s**t!, I've just gotta get rid of my corded tools. and get a set of that latest cordless crap.

Leave the cordless stuff for the weekend warrior, so he/she can use the cordless drill to screw in the lightbulb

Comment

tomat
                      Im a job warrior and I fell sad for for the open minded that tried to work with you, and I fell sad for the simple minded that still work with you!
                      Next time I see someone running around a building installing windows and doors with a cord and drill I will think one of three things!< Maby he works for you, Maby he cant aford a good cordless, or maby he is just, quote "STUPID"
                      If you wana get rid of your corded tools I have a place for them also just send them over here. Everything gets worked hard!!!
                      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                      Be safe out there folks
                      Bob B
                      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Tomat,

I think you're being a little hard in your opinion. While I too, have questioned the economics of "cordless" for the occasional use guys like me, you really have to take some time and look at the convenience and efficiency of cordless tools for the tradesmen. There's no question that finding an outlet and running a cord and then being concerned that someone doesn't trip over it or unplug it, is a PITA!

For the guy who pulls out his tools only every two or three months, cordless tools probably don't make a lot of sense, economically; but then again, I try not to tell other people how to spend their money unless they ask. Calling them "stupid" or labeling them in a derogatory manner isn't helpful to anyone.

For me (home owner, not in the trades) the only way to go cordless, is to go Ridgid and make sure that I register for the LLSA. You can't beat that kind of economics, especially if you buy the tool on some terrific sale. But now that I have a few "cordless" tools, my much loved "corded" tools seem to stay in the shop, unless it's a long task requiring lots of power. Everytime a quick project comes up and I find myself outside of the shop, there's the ever convenient "cordless". I love'em and my time isn't so important, nor am I so inefficient that I need to wait the 20 minutes it takes to occasionally do a charge. So for me, it's not a problem at all. Cordless also relieves me of dragging the extension cord around the house where it's all too easy to knock something over or worse trip on it.

CWS
                        Last edited by CWSmith; 02-25-2008, 05:35 PM.

Comment

On top of the other points, I would also like to may one observation...
                          Using a cordless tool to cut out a section of leaking water pipe in a trench filled with muddy water is a LOT safer than using a corded tool...

Comment

I would suggest that your first tool of any particular type should probably be corded. You don't need to worry about running out of batteries, or the longevity of any particular battery system. That being said, I bought my first cordless drill/driver two months ago for Christmas, and haven't picked up my corded drill since.

I think that over the course of time I'll definitely try to pick up a bigger combo pack that includes a circular and reciprocating saw on sale [I've got more pressing tool desires than ]. I also think that a battery powered vacuum would be a good plus (much better than lugging around a corded shop vac to clean up, which is what I do now).

Comment

CSW
                              I'm a bit harsh!.....I'm a bit harsh because we seldom look at the larger picture.
                              As a professional I don't have to give a S**T how long the tool lasts. I can
                              always figure that into my hourly rate. or depreciation at the end of a year.

I don't have to care about lithium batteries or the pollution they cause
                              for the next generation or my children.

I dont have to care about all the TV soon to be delivered to land fill sites
                              in Jan 09 when we all go digital. Think about all the lead in those picture tubes,
                              or about all the lead in those new energy saving light bulbs.

I don't have to be harsh at all. We can just continue to let manufacturers dictate
                              whats good for us..... after all, its all about convenience and low price .... right?

p.s.

My SunBeam Electric lawnmower finally packed it in after 30 years, 2 years ago. My new Plastic Black-Decker lawnmover will not make it thru this summer, I predict.

cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by bob bridgewater View Post
                                tomat
                                Im a job warrior and I fell sad for for the open minded that tried to work with you, and I fell sad for the simple minded that still work with you!
                                Next time I see someone running around a building installing windows and doors with a cord and drill I will think one of three things!< Maby he works for you, Maby he cant aford a good cordless, or maby he is just, quote "STUPID"
                                If you wana get rid of your corded tools I have a place for them also just send them over here. Everything gets worked hard!!!
                                Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                                Tomat,

I think you're being a little hard in your opinion. While I too, have questioned the economics of "cordless" for the occasional use guys like me, you really have to take some time and look at the convenience and efficiency of cordless tools for the tradesmen. There's no question that finding an outlet and running a cord and then being concerned that someone doesn't trip over it or unplug it, is a PITA!

For the guy who pulls out his tools only every two or three months, cordless tools probably don't make a lot of sense, economically; but then again, I try not to tell other people how to spend their money unless they ask. Calling them "stupid" or labeling them in a derogatory manner isn't helpful to anyone.

For me (home owner, not in the trades) the only way to go cordless, is to go Ridgid and make sure that I register for the LLSA. You can't beat that kind of economics, especially if you buy the tool on some terrific sale. But now that I have a few "cordless" tools, my much loved "corded" tools seem to stay in the shop, unless it's a long task requiring lots of power. Everytime a quick project comes up and I find myself outside of the shop, there's the ever convenient "cordless". I love'em and my time isn't so important, nor am I so inefficient that I need to wait the 20 minutes it takes to occasionally do a charge. So for me, it's not a problem at all. Cordless also relieves me of dragging the extension cord around the house where it's all too easy to knock something over or worse trip on it.

CWS
                                Originally posted by tomot View Post
                                CSW
                                I'm a bit harsh!.....I'm a bit harsh because we seldom look at the larger picture.
                                As a professional I don't have to give a S**T how long the tool lasts. I can
                                always figure that into my hourly rate. or depreciation at the end of a year.

I don't have to care about lithium batteries or the pollution they cause
                                for the next generation or my children.

I dont have to care about all the TV soon to be delivered to land fill sites
                                in Jan 09 when we all go digital. Think about all the lead in those picture tubes,
                                or about all the lead in those new energy saving light bulbs.

I don't have to be harsh at all. We can just continue to let manufacturers dictate
                                whats good for us..... after all, its all about convenience and low price .... right?

p.s.

My SunBeam Electric lawnmower finally packed it in after 30 years, 2 years ago. My new Plastic Black-Decker lawnmover will not make it thru this summer, I predict.

cheers!

Go figure, no one likes you hear either. tomot are you a ginger kid that would explain allot.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X07u_ik8JQ4
                                Last edited by Crappy days; 03-02-2008, 03:22 AM.
                                THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Working...
                                X