X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless or Cord?

Which do you prefer to buy when purchasing portable power tools?

A) Cordless
    B) Cord
    C) Whatever

TOOLS WITH A CORD! TOO MUCH PLASTIC IN CORDLESS

Comment

The only cordless tool I own is a 1/2" drill-driver...all the others are corded. Most cordless saws run out of juice way too often and way too fast for my taste.
      Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Corded, with the exception of a couple of drills (9.6V DeWalt and 12V Skil). When it was time to buy a hammer drill, I got a corded 1/2" Milwaukee. I like batteries for routine drilling and driving screws, but if I am doing a tough job I prefer the more consistent power of a corded model.

Also, I don't have to worry about the batteries dying and having to pay huge replacement costs just to keep using the tool I already paid more for than a comparable corded model. Corded models don't have that problem, and the only thing I may ever need to replace on my Milwaukee are the brushes.

Comment

Driving screws = cordless
          Drilling holes = 10% cordless, 90% corded
          Circular saw = corded
          Recip. saw = corded
          Hammer drill = corded
          Jigsaw = corded
          Nailer = hosed
          Table saw = corded
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I just put a new cord, new cord boot and new handle on my "77" Skilsaw...like new again!! It's my fave saw of the three handhelds I have.
            Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Cordless tools are convenient if you're not going to be using them heavily or if you're going into a place that you know will be a pain to drag a cord through. I work in the hvac/plumbing field, and i've found the cordless sawzall works great if you only need to make a few cuts of pipe or have to cut in a roof vent. Otherwise, I usually use my electric cause it's got a lot more power and I don't have to worry about running out of a charge in the middle of a cut. The biggest joke i've seen are these new ryobi cordless mitre saws. I can't see anyone other than somebody who's cutting 1/4 round moulding actually get more than just a few cuts per charge on the thing.
              Marcus Rinaldi<BR>Service Tech<BR>F&W Heating & Cooling

Comment

cordless is the best
                Just my opinion

Comment

I think they are both very useful. Small punch lists and jobs where a lot of movement is needed, I have found that cordless is my preference.

Comment

most all my power tools are Ridgid 18 volt cordless, used every day in my job. i have the R922 4 piece kit with a jigsaw and 3 batteries. i also have a 500 watt poewr inverter. no need for power or extension cords here! thats the way to go. i do have a 19.2 volt Craftsman kit, that stays at home, my wife owns it now (LOL).

Comment

Corded tools please. Every tool I own has a cord, thanks. After reading all of the problems and complaints, I must say that, for me anyway, there is no value whatsoever in cordless tools. They sell at two or three times the price, offer a fraction of the power, and require new, expensive, batteries at least every two years. Observing workers who do use cordless tools, I notice that they still need a cord for the "close proximity" chargers which must be visited all too often.

Furthermore, all the battery designs are proprietary to the product brand and often to the specific model. So, logically, you are almost guaranteed that you'll have to buy a new tool after several years. Being a long time computer person, it appears that the tool manufacturers have adopted the Microsoft and Intel methodology... built in obsolescence!

No thanks, all my power tools use the same universal method of power, a 120 VAC cord!

CWS

[ 01-28-2005, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

One question CWS, what do you do in the event of a power failure? Or if you're on a job in a remote location with no power yet. Have a generator in your back pocket? (no offense)

Comment

No names, but I think your ignorant to the value and power of cordless tools!!! Mine have alredy payed for them seleves on one job!!! I don't understand how a man can't see the the things he can do with a tool!!! every tool has it's place and if they don't they don't sell,what fits me might not fit you for the job!!!!!!

Be safe out there.
                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                          Be safe out there folks
                          Bob B
                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

I really like my cordless drill/driver. I use it all the time and wouldn't be without one. BUT, easily 95% of all the use my tools get is in my shop or around the house. With electric receptacles easily within reach, both inside and outside of my home, I see no need to spend alot of money on battery powered tools. Battery powered tools do have their place for certain people but for my needs I find plug-in tools much more practical. If that makes me ignorant than so be it but it also affords me a little extra money to buy things that I really need like CLAMPS.
                            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Hey CW,
                              That' great if you have no need for cordless tools. Technically I could live without them too, but in too many instances I'd have to drag out either a generator or 200 feet of extension cord just to drive a couple screws or drill a few holes, it is far less of a hassle to use a cordless.
                              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X