X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools Guarantees

How important is it to you that a tool carries a guarantee from its manufacturer when you purchase it?
    A) Very
    B) Somewhat
    C) A Little
    D) Not at all
    Marcus Rinaldi<BR>Service Tech<BR>F&W Heating & Cooling

Marcus

We're using another one of your survey ideas for the website this week. Would you like another calendar or decals this time? You can contact Josh or I at webmaster@ridgid.com .

Comment

Re: Tools Guarantees

very important

Comment

A.... Very important!
        metal canopies | carports | metal carports

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Rinaldi View Post
          How important is it to you that a tool carries a guarantee from its manufacturer when you purchase it?
          A) Very
          B) Somewhat
          C) A Little
          D) Not at all
          I'd say B. The real question is will the guarantee be worth anything. For very cheap things, the answer is no because replacing it won't be a burden. For big things, it can matter.

It seems like Craftsman hand tools have a worthwhile guarantee, because you can go to Sears and get a replacement [I've never tried it, but I assume it to be the case]. Husky supposedly has a lifetime guarantee on their hand tools, but if the Home Depot doesn't trade them in, it is pretty much worthless. Also, if there are too many hoops to jump through or receipts to save; there is a chance I wouldn't be able to collect on it anyway. I'm just not that organized.

For power tools, they are mostly 2-5 years and I'm not sure 2-5 years makes a big difference to me. The LLSA for the TS3650 combined with it being the best value in terms of features was a big selling point though; and I didn't think the registration process was burdensome.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            I'd say B. The real question is will the guarantee be worth anything. For very cheap things, the answer is no because replacing it won't be a burden. For big things, it can matter.

It seems like Craftsman hand tools have a worthwhile guarantee, because you can go to Sears and get a replacement [I've never tried it, but I assume it to be the case]. Husky supposedly has a lifetime guarantee on their hand tools, but if the Home Depot doesn't trade them in, it is pretty much worthless. Also, if there are too many hoops to jump through or receipts to save; there is a chance I wouldn't be able to collect on it anyway. I'm just not that organized.

For power tools, they are mostly 2-5 years and I'm not sure 2-5 years makes a big difference to me. The LLSA for the TS3650 combined with it being the best value in terms of features was a big selling point though; and I didn't think the registration process was burdensome.

FYI-This thread is over 7-years old.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

VERRY IMPORTANT, THEN AGAIN YOU NEED A MANUFACTURER TO BACK UP THGE TOOL. HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY 6 MOTH OLD 18VOLT LITHIUM-ION BATTERRIES., TOOK IT TO THE CLOSEST SERVICE CENTER. HE TOLD ME IT WILL BE A MONTH B-4 HE CAN REPLACE BATTERIES. RIDGID HAS HIS ORDER PARTS AND LABOR CHARGES BACKED PAY FOR 90 DAYS AND AS A SMALL BUSS CANT PURCHACE ANY REPLACEMENT PARTS TILL RIDGID PAYS HIM FOR THE WORK AND PARTS THEY OWNED HIM, SORRY, TRY AGAIN IN A MONTH. THAT SUCKS. THINK GOING BACK TI DEWALD, AT LEASE THE BATTERIES LAST FOR OVER A YEAR...............

Comment

It just depends. If the tool is priced outraguolsy high with a no questions asked guarantee, then you as the consumer have paid for two or three of the products when first purchased, so its no skin off their nose to give you a new one. The ones that realy get me is "are you the original owner", what does that matter, just because it changes hands does not mean it instantly breaks. What really matters to me is the customer service, if its broken I need it now to finish a job, not two to three weeks. This seems like a ploy just to get you to buy new again and dump the broken one in the trash. I will say I like Sears hand tools, break one and they replace it, no questions, no receipts, 99.9% of the time in stock and a sears in all the bigger towns. When Husky first started their hand tools at HD they had a complete line up and some would swap even for craftsman tools. Husky still has a lifetime guarantee on them but stock very little at the stores, just call them up give the part number and a new one comes in the mail.
                Most of the time what it all boils down to to me is,"hey, it's broke and I need it fixed now", would be nice if they could give you a loaner for the weeks yours will be in the shop. The guarantee is only as good as the customer service, but yes very important. For the most part you get what you pay for.
                As a contractor I try to buy the best tools because I know for a fact they are making me money. I will always tell everybody that if the junk tool you bought breaks you now have two guys in the feild looking stupid and still on the clock not getting anything done. Preventive maintanace is also a must to keep them in top working condition.

Sorry for such a long post.

G3

Comment

These days. Not much at all. My experience with warranties, insurance, etc. is that the first thing is to deny or question the warranty on every technicality known to man.

Just make things good enough you don't have to warranty them.

J.C.

7 years. WOW!

Comment

Working...
                  X