survey question......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• survey question......

My survey question is....at what age did you start woodworking? 2nd part of question...and why did it take you so long?
    \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Re: survey question......

i started carpantry at age 18 and real wood working at age 27 and it took me so long because for some silly reason i thought i wanted to be an auto mechanic silly me
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I started doing odd jobs with my Dad when I was about twelve. He was sort of a "Jack-of-all-trades", and in my eyes anyway, master of most. In the beginning my tasks were fairly simple but he did a good job of showing me how to do general carpentry. Actually, I already knew how to build some things with integrity, like a few downhill carts and what we used to call "Tree Forts". Not sure how early that was, but probably around nine or ten.

When I was fourteen, I watched my Dad loose a couple of fingers to a table saw. Because of that, I tried to only take metal shop in high school. But in my junior year, I was forced into woodshop. The Teach, didn't believe in "personal" projects. His shop classes consisted of making "products". So in first semester we built about a hundred desks. The requirement was that each student spend enough time in each task to become "skilled". Only with his quality inspection could you move to the next task and the applicable tool.

The second semester we built a small house which we designed in my architectural drafting class. (Actually we modified a two-stall garage plan, adding rooms, bathroom and kithenette.) It became the operating center for the local Military Affiliated Radio Service (MARS).

After high school, there wasn't a chance for college, so there were a few odd jobs, but nothing involving wood. At 21, I was beginning a career as a technical illustrator and that's been my focus for most of the last forty years. While that earlier experience has helped with home repairs, remodels, and even a few furniture projects, I really never looked at it as "woodworking". So, I retired three years ago and only now am I finding time for a woodworking hobby.

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 01-18-2007, 03:09 AM.

Comment

My Dad is like CWSmith's. He installed a forced-air heating system himself, then years later added air conditioning. He replaced all the windows himself. He builds decks. He made bookshelves and a media center for my husband and I when we moved into our first house. He's a CPA and worked for the Feds for many many years. Now that he's retired, he's helping everyone in his neighborhood and has basically rebuilt my sister's house.

I got into woodworking when I found myself in a well-paying job that had a bit too much stress. Woodworking allowed me to burn off the stress, the job helped pay for the tools. My Dad seems very proud of what I've made. I really like working with wood, and now that I'm between jobs I'm toying with the idea of working for a cabinet company as an apprentice to see if I like it enough to do it for a living. Sure beats sitting in a cold control center watching servers and routers blink!!! And now I can say I'm fluent in both types of routers!!!
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

VASandy

Do you know about the third type of router? Hint: Busy highway and/or bridge tolls.

It's great when a parent is your best teacher. Maybe you can make up some special items out of wood for the July show at you know where.

Comment

My father was a finish carpenter. He died when I was nine and my mother kept all his tools for my brother & myself. At about 18 I started woodworking with his tools. I loved it. THE REST IS HISTORY.
            Jim

Comment

I started when I was 17. We moved from Hawai'i to georgia and it was a bad cultural shock for me. Got into fights everyday. The kids didn't know if I was white or black so I got it from both sides. My saving grace was the land my Dad bought had a cabinet shop on it. The previous owner had taken his tools about a month after the house was sold so my Dad saw the potential in it. He ended up spending around 14 grand and I'd come home mad at the world and relax and build stuff in there. If it wasn't for that shop, I might have become infamous and they're would be less dumb a$$ in Georgia.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I started wood working in high school at 16, took woodshop every year (3). Went straight into construction of all phases, learned as much as I could from all different trades, so yes I have had many jobs. I knew my heart was into becoming a construction owner, eventually moved back to our small town in MN and started my business. Winter time is when I get to do my WW, summer is just to busy for the hobby.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I took woodshop in the eighth grade.So,when I graduated that year I was given the choice of a gift,I chose a craftsman router.And how does it repay me,it takes a chunk out of my finger.

I think my crack dealer gave me a twenty rock for it.

Don't even entertain the thought,I never inhale

ADAM

Comment

Hmm... If my memory still serves me, my first stitches from a woodworking tool was from a handsaw which bit me in the shin. Guess that qualifies me at 7yrs.

Comment

My dad let mehelp him of and on at age 11 or 12. I took building trades in school my junior and senior year. Started as a carpenter's helper at 18. Now at 48 and learning the plumbing trade.

Comment

Working...
                      X