X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Quality - Poor customer service

I bought the hammer drill at the sale before Christmas. A defect in it causes the chuck to wobbble. I returned it for a second drill and it had the same problem. I returned the second drill. The HD guy said I should try a third so I did trying to gain confidence in the Ridgid brand.
    The third drill had the same problem. On my fourth trip to return the Ridgid drill I requested a different brand and felt that HD should honor the same 20% discount, they would not. I asked to speak with the manager but he would not come to the returns desk he only communicated with the clerk.

I have lost confidence in the Ridgid brand and with HD's customer service. I have in the past generally chosen HD over Lowes. I guess we don't have a lot of options, however my loyalty to and confidence in HD has changed. I wish they would listen to customers but they won't so we will have to lower our expectations of these big business chains.

Good luck to all,
    Jim

Sorry,
    wobbble=wobble

Comment

After dealing with HomeDepot I can under stand your grief. I thought they were a good store but I have had problems there myself. I posted a topic about Home Depot and Warranty. It does not have to do with returns but why would there sales reps talk about a promo that is discontinued. Due to that I will not buy the 999.99 table saw that ridgid sells there.
      Misled customer,
      Dave Harris
      Dave Harris

Comment

As far as I'm concerned the cordless drills really suck. I bought mine in nov., the batteries won't hold a charge, if the outside temp gets above 80* the charger won't charge(here in alabama it's always above 80*) and 2 days ago my drill went up in a cloud of smoke, DRILLING INTO SHEETROCK. I should have bought a Craftsman

Comment

As in my other posts, ive gotta say i mustve gotten lucky. We were chargin the ridgid 18v batteries in a 95 degree two-story house. It was hot, but they charged. I drilled 2 1 inch holes with a ship auger bit through every joist all they way across that house, so we could run water lines. The drill body got a little hot, but thats it. Id like to see a craftsman drill do that !BTW, i dont think the maximum charge temp. is 80 deg., more like 90 or 95, especially considering the batteries are fan cooled.

Comment

thats one thing wrong with such a huge company like home depot.. flimsy complaints for them is nothing...

Comment

Yo gang. Hope ya all well.

Seems this CS issue always a hot one. Hit - miss. Miss more than hit.

HD has really become a day to day guess - been lucky myself but hear many not
              Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

sorry to hear about your troubles with that make and model of hamer drill. you just can't have any brand loyalty knowadays and YES hd is sucking really dad as of late.

Comment

I PURCHASED A RIDGID 18 VOLT HAMMER DRILL 1 YEAR AGO, JUST BECAUSE IT WAS 20% OFF AND OFFERED A LIFETIME WARRANTY INCLUDING THE BATTERIES. I,VE YET TO TAKE IT OUT OF THE BOX TO TEST IT. DON'T KNOW IF THE CHUCK WOBBLES. I GUESS I CAN ALWAYS BRING IT BACK TO H.D. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE SHELF LIFE IS FOR UNCHARGED BATTERIES? WILL THEY GO DEAD FOREVER IF NOT USED REGULARLY? SHOULD I JUST RETURN IT AND PURCHASE THE DRILL WHEN I AM READY TO BREAK IT IN TO THE LINEUP?

Comment

If you are going to store batteries it is always a good plan to store them with a full charge then top charge them every 6 months or so. You have already spent the $ and you dont seem to miss them, I would keep it for the lifetime warranty, truth be known thats why I own my 18V set, got tired of buying a new dewalt every few years just cause the batteries were done, that and I actually like the feel of the tools and they tested great for me.

Comment

Oh RiiiiiiiDgiiiiiiiid ????? Hey service center guys ???

can we get a "what's up" on this warranty/service subject ???? my story is i've had my "combo kit" for an entire year+, (with DAILY use & specifically the 18v hammerdrill). up till now it's been a champ. the clincher is ....MY DRILL JUST DIED !!! 1st the variable speed trigger stopped variable speeding then, the next day i turned in 1-2 short screws & poof ! smoke... then smoke-ing then, i chose to tear my battery out b4 it poofed too. remember i said "daily use"? i really can't be down my drill for any more than a week at MAX . i specifically bought ridgid over dewalt because of the superior warranty....that's the kind of "insurance" i need/require as a consumer & more importantly, because i earn my living with the tools i buy. i think most of us here might me in that boat too. at the time purchase , ridgid had the supposedly "No 1./LIFETIME" warranty out there. so, they got my dollar (quite a few of em' as i remember, i grabbed it from HD when they 1st came out b4 the price drop, when they were "big yellow's" new on the block, 18v contender for the contracter type market...)

anyways, i've got to call someone on monday to just start the process of repair or replacing my trusty side-arm. honestly, all these warranty-Nightmare threads are not giving me one of those ol' "Just bring it in with your receipt & we'll have your drill back or a replacement for you in a day or so!", warm fuzzy type feelings like if you're taking socket wrenches or open end box wrenches back to sears or somethin'.
                      DOOODS ....is this gonna be a nightmare for me ??? any advice

help .....

J-Fish

Comment

Regarding the Home Depot stories; There are two HD stores within a fifteen minute drive from my home with a third soon to be built within walking distance of me. A few years ago this would have made me want to celebrate. But after being lied to by both stores regarding delivery and return policies I will continue giving my business to Lowes. Their stores are cleaner and in general seem to have a higher quality of merchandise than the HDs offer around here. Their employees are generally friendlier also, which is a direct reflection on the management of the store.

The last straw with HD was when they failed to make a delivery to my home when promised after I made arrangements to take off work to recieve it. The manager and the sales rep both called me a liar when I went back into the store to inquire about what had happened. This was a nearly two thousand dollar order that I did not want sitting in the elements until the end of the work day.

What has happened to HD is that they have grown to big for their own britches. If they make someone mad they figure there is always another customer to take their place. Eventually this will catch up to them.

Fortunately the Ridgid tools I use are available only at professional wholesalers and the like. No offense to the cordless tool users on this site but I chose Red when I finally decided to go cordless where possible. The wholesalers I have dealt with for a long, long time all know me by face and name, and will take care of any issues I have with tools. Plus most of Reds cordless tools are made in the USA and their new line will even have the battery production moved to Canada which is a good stable Democracy and much closer to home.

You cant go wrong with Ridgid Dies, Threaders and Vises, and other machine equipment. But even the Ridge Tool employees distance themselves from the made in China merchandise.
                        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
                        X