X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News media bias??????

This survey idea was actually spured on by a disagreement that Norm and I have on this. Is there really a bias? I feel that there is a bias. I don't want to turn my hand as to which way I feel it is though till later. Feel free to discuss this topic and please feel free to post links to web sources to back up your views. Later, Josh

[This message has been edited by Josh (edited 10-25-2000).]

This is sort of a late response, but here goes nonetheless:

Of course the media -- or, more precisely, each of the constituents of what we call "the media" -- is biased. The media is comprised of humans and all humans are and forever will be biased. So when you ask, "Is the media biased?" you are asking the wrong question.

Far more interesting is the question of why most of the media outlets seem to have the same bias, namely toward that which is generally labelled "liberal" in this country? Is it:

A) Because only those with a predisposition to "liberal" values are attracted to the commercial media business?

B) Because, whatever one's predisposition, a certain degree of exposure to the commercial media business induces one to the "liberal" values?

C) Because they don't really believe all that stuff, but think most of the public does, and that's how you sell newspapers?

D) Some other, heretofore undiscovered and poorly understood phenomenon?

Another observation: I happen to know a lot of people in the working media, generally at the level of photogs, ENGs , and some reporters. With very rare exception, they are all well over to the "right;" most do not walk the streets unarmed. So obviously, being "media" does not make one "liberal," though obviously something happens between the street and the editorial offices.

Interesting question, and not what I expected on a forum about woodworking tools.

------------------

Comment

As Josh stated in the first post, this whole thing grew out of a disagreement between Josh and myself. Being an old liberal anti-establishment pro-environment type who voted Green in the last election, I include both talk radio and local newspapers in what I consider "the media", and they tend to be overwhelmingly conservative. TV network news I consider to be just plain inaccurate, rather than ideologically biased.

Of course our survey showed me to be in the minority, but I'm used to that.

And the forum is about all RIDGID tools, not just woodworking.

Norm

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RGad:
      This is sort of a late response, but here goes nonetheless:

Of course the media -- or, more precisely, each of the constituents of what we call "the media" -- is biased. The media is comprised of humans and all humans are and forever will be biased. So when you ask, "Is the media biased?" you are asking the wrong question.

Far more interesting is the question of why most of the media outlets seem to have the same bias, namely toward that which is generally labelled "liberal" in this country? Is it:

A) Because only those with a predisposition to "liberal" values are attracted to the commercial media business?

B) Because, whatever one's predisposition, a certain degree of exposure to the commercial media business induces one to the "liberal" values?

C) Because they don't really believe all that stuff, but think most of the public does, and that's how you sell newspapers?

D) Some other, heretofore undiscovered and poorly understood phenomenon?

Another observation: I happen to know a lot of people in the working media, generally at the level of photogs, ENGs , and some reporters. With very rare exception, they are all well over to the "right;" most do not walk the streets unarmed. So obviously, being "media" does not make one "liberal," though obviously something happens between the street and the editorial offices.

Interesting question, and not what I expected on a forum about woodworking tools.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

You can only report the truth one way.

Comment

Working...
        X