X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topper0910,

You mentioned returning your Ridgid battery to Home Depot for exchange, should it ever go bad. While that may be true in your particular area, it is NOT Home Depot's policy to replace, repair, or exchange anything... even if it's within the initial 3-year warranty period. They will refund your money within the 90-day "Satisfaction" period that is Ridgid's policy. So don't be shocked if in a year or two you find this replacement "deal" to be bogus in your local store too.

The 3-Year Warranty and the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement clearly states that the tool, batteries, etc. must be returned to an authorized Ridgid Service Center, which Home Depot is not.

I've had some concerns in the past with a few "orange aprons" who seem to be under the influence or something. Three years ago, I had the tool department manager tell me and others that ALL power tools (regardless of brand), were guaranteed forever by Home Depot. Asked if that was in writing somewhere, he said, "No, but everybody knows that!" Well, his service desk didn't know that, neither did the store manager, and on a phone call to Atlanta, the Corporate Headquarters they weren't aware of it either and certainly it was a surprise to Ridgid.

A year later, I had a couple of guys on the service desk tell me that I could just return my tools anytime for a complete exchange. When I told them about the Ridgid warranty, they said it didn't matter, because Home Depot owned both Ryobi and Ridgid ("why do you think that Ridgid tools are orange?")

Bottom line is that some of these poor guys simply don't know and it is really hard to find out where they even get these ideas.

I certainly mean you no disrespect, but I wouldn't want you to get an unsuspected surprise,

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 03-08-2006, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Tool Use: heavy

Brand Preference: Dewalt, porter cable (Hitachi and Ridgid have recently found their way into my shop and are starting to impress me more and more.)

Why? 1) comfort 2) power 3) reliability

Does Country of Origin Matter? not anymore

Did you check Country of Origin for last tool you bought? no

Ridgid Lifetime Warranty:

I'd buy a Ridgid tool over another brand just because of it, yes or no? nope

Is this intended to make up for manufacturing defects that are worse than other brands, yes or no? don't know

A lower price than the competition ($5-$10) is very important when deciding which tool to buy. nope, i want something that is comfortable and reliable

Basically while i have plenty of dewalt tools i'm not dewalt biased...i like to check out the tool in person before i buy, the customer reviews on this site and amazon.com are very helpful too.

Comment

The Truth

Ladies, ladies, ladies, here's the real story. Yes, Ryobi and RIGID are made in the same plant and yes they are both crap. As for Black&Decker and DeWALT, initially the DW tools were B&D industrial tools painted yellow. That lasted for teh first 2 years of DW cordless. Today there are built on opposite ends of the earth (BD-China, DW-Mexico). Dewalt motors and table saws are still made in the USA. For those of you who don't know the facts, B&D has owned DW since 1960!! DW invented the radial arm saw and was the leader in that category for many years. Since 1992 DW power tools have dominated the market. You may hear many complaints but that is due to the volume of tools sold. To put it in perspective, DW sells more 18V tools than Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, Panasonic, RIGID and Ryobi COMBINED!!! Is this just a coincindence? I think not. Delta and Porter Cable are still made in Jackson, TN and continue to make professional grade tools. The Delta Unisaw is the standard by which al other table saws are measured.

Comment

Hd

No self respecting professional shops at Home Depot so you RIGID guys are exposing your true colors. Stick to the Ryobi and keep crankin out the bird houses and cribbage boards!!

Comment

It is not a lifetime warranty, it's a lifetime "service agreement" if you fall for that you get what you deserve. Try and bring your bad batteries back in 3-5 years and they'll tell you to pound sand.

Comment

Originally posted by RipsawMM
              Ladies, ladies, ladies, ....... To put it in perspective, DW sells more 18V tools than Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, Panasonic, RIGID and Ryobi COMBINED!!! Is this just a coincindence? I think not. Delta and Porter Cable are still made in Jackson, TN and continue to make professional grade tools. The Delta Unisaw is the standard by which al other table saws are measured.
              JACKASS JACKASS JACKASS,....where did you get this information? Ryobi is pretty much the same as black and decker. Both made in china and perfect for a homeowner who won't use them much. And yes ridgid and craftsman are made in the same manufacturing plants as well.

I do swear by my ridgid power tools (and still swear at my router ), I also own an 18v Dewalt and enjoy using it aswell. Both are great drills. The reason dewalt would sell more than other brands is that every decent hardware store carries them. A lot of proffesionals will swear by them and with good reason. They make good power tools, but given time these other brands will prove themselves worthing of more attention.
              In the case of panasonic they do charge more but they have 3.5 amp hour batteries and have a reputation for laster for years. Although that changes if you have someone who is careless with their tools.
              "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
              "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

No self respecting professional shops at Home Depot so you RIGID guys are exposing your true colors. Stick to the Ryobi and keep crankin out the bird houses and cribbage boards!!
                Week end warier no doubt. LOL
                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                Be safe out there folks
                Bob B
                =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

It is not a lifetime warranty, it's a lifetime "service agreement" if you fall for that you get what you deserve. Try and bring your bad batteries back in 3-5 years and they'll tell you to pound sand.
                  You are so wrong DUDE ! Some times I think You folks just run your key pad so you can see your self on line.Yee Haa, The world can see my stupedness!!! LMAO.
                  I have a card that Ridgid sent me after I went through the red tape and it has been good as Cash when my hammer drill stoped hammering and a battery free.
                  What you got? A blowed out DeWalt, that all it"s Worth is for is zip screws.
                  Give this a break folks they do back there tools but you have to have the card they send you. plus find the store that deals with Ridgid. Mine is 13 miles away.
                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                  Be safe out there folks
                  Bob B
                  =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

You are so wrong DUDE ! Some times I think You folks just run your key pad so you can see your self on line.Yee Haa, The world can see my stupedness!!! LMAO.
                    I have a card that Ridgid sent me after I went through the red tape and it has been good as Cash when my hammer drill stoped hammering and a battery free.
                    What you got? A blowed out DeWalt, that all it"s Worth is for is zip screws.
                    Give this a break folks they do back there tools but you have to have the card they send you. plus find the store that deals with Ridgid. Mine is 13 miles away.
                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                    Be safe out there folks
                    Bob B
                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

RipsawMM, Comeon man, join us in the 21st century. Your information is WAY behind. B&D owns Delta, Dewalt, and Porter cable and none of them are made here anymore. The Tenn. plants were closed a couple years ago. TTI makes Ryobi and Ridgid and they OWN Milwaukee. B&D tools are not even fit for homeowners use. Ryobi runs circles around any of the Homeowners tools on the market. Ridgid warrenty is for 3 years for any reason, LSA is for expendable parts such as batteries on the cordless and hammers on the nail guns, parts that normally wear out over time are replaced for life. Dewalt is a good tool, but not any better than the other major brands. They may sell more, but it is due to availability as stated before and price. I have Dewalt, Ridgid, Bosch, Milwaukee, and Ryobi in my shop. ALL good tools!!!!!!

Comment

I own Ryobi and Ridgid tools, no DeWalt... and YES, I'm a homeowner and not in the trades. But my Dad was in the trades and he had more than his share of problems with DeWalt, to the point he wouldn't buy them anymore. He was a big Miwaukie fan, but they are now owned by TTI, who makes the Ridgid and Ryobi power tools.

I have yet to have a single problem with any of my Ryobi tools and the Ridgid tools are built much better. I've got some Ryobi-made tools with the Craftsman label on them, that are more than 30-years old and they are still working very well. By comparison, Black and Decker power tools are not nearly as worthy.

I know there's a lot of bias against "made in China", but take a look at your latest DeWalts, many are made in Mexico and some are no doubt made in China too. The one thing I noted with DeWalt, is that they are more inclined not to state the tools origin.

The bottom line is that we all have our favorite based on either experience or perception. Buy what you will and good luck with it. But understand that your choice doesn't necessarily mean you did your homework, worked your tool harder, or that you have superior buying skills. Similarly, with regard to service, I've seen guys who "fly off the handle", don't follow through, or simply don't have a clue as to how to handle a service issue. This doesn't mean the service is bad. Likewise, your perception of warranty and service agreements and whether or not the company behind them is trustworthy, is exactly that.... your perception! It certainly hasn't proven to be true.

CWS

Comment

Tool use, heavy or light = Depends on the tool really but mostly the saws, sanders, and more specifically the hammer drills get the hell abused out of them.

Brand Preference: DeWalt or Ridgid? = Depends on the specific tool. Each brand has a specific feature or accessory the other doesn't or is just better for my specific needs. All of my cordless tools are 18v dewalt because they are simply as good as anything else and better than most, make nearly every possible tool in cordless version and they work really good. Oh and of course, its a hassle to have to invest in seperate batter systems. I'm really looking forward to trying their 36v saws in particular. They finally have enough juice to run standard size 7 3/4" blades and compare much better to corded models in terms of power. My corded tools are an assortment of Ridgid, Bosch, Dewalt and Porter Cable, even some Craftsman. The deciding factor on Ridgid tools is usually they match the quality, finish and power of other brands while maintaining a competitive cost. Unfortunately sometimes they just don't offer the variety I'd hope for and accessories seem to be tricky to find which makes me nervous sometimes.

Does country of origin matter? = No, a well built product is a well built product.

Did you check country of origin for last tool you bought? = Only after buying it and by chance glancing at the tool label.

Ridgids' Lifetime service Agreement: = Don't particularly care about it. In my experience/opinion, there is never really anything that is "lifetime" when it comes to warranty or service of any kind. What I do expect is for a tool to have a reasonable warranty within its useful life and most important, for the company to be able to promptly and efficiently handle matters if the warranty were ever needed.

Comment

Tool Use: heavy or light? - Both! Frequency may be less, but when it's used, it's usually heavy.

Brand Preference: Dewalt or Ridgid? My first look is at Ridgid, but generally make purchase on features and price.

Why? Features, service, dependability, price.

Does Country of Origin Matter? I look, but bottom line buy what looks best, no matter where it's from.

Did you check Country of Origin for last tool you bought? Yes, but sad to say, it wasn't USA!

Ridgid Lifetime Service Agreement: Definitely a plus for cordless, for battery and charger reasons. Corded, not so important.

I'd buy a Ridgid tool over another brand just because of it, yes or no? It certainly carries some weight, but it's not the bottom line.

Is this intended to make up for manufacturing defects that are worse than other brands, yes or no? No! A company with a lifetime service agreement that has ongoing quality problems would go broke in very short time.

A lower price than the competition ($5-$10) is very important when deciding which tool to buy. Definitely NOT. When spending anything over $30, what's another $5 or $10? On the other hand, some tools cost two or three times as much... why would I want them. Considering the wear and tear, I could buy two or three $70 sanders or drills for the price of one costing $200 or more. In 7 to 10 years when I may wear the cheaper tool out, the technology will have changed and I can upgrade. With a $200 plus tool, it may still be working, but lack new features and may be obsolete in other ways.

CWS

Comment

Re: dewalt vs ridgid

Originally posted by RipsawMM View Post
                              Ripsaw, suggest you actually read the agreement. "...The Lifetime Service Agreement provides the original owner of qualifying RIDGID Brand tools a lifetime of free replacement batteries, free service, and free replacement parts..."

Here's the whole thing:
                              http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf
                              Last edited by welchtima; 10-17-2008, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Re: dewalt vs ridgid

There sure is a ton of good information in this thread, and a ton of misinformation as well. It is very easy to find the correct info, guys.

http://www.bdk.com/

This is Black & Deckers' corporate investor site. Click on the link, then hover your mouse over the "Our Companies" link. Black & Decker owns DeWalt, Porter Cable, Delta, Kwikset, Baldwin, Weiser Lock, Price Pfister, Emhart and K2 Commercial.

Techtronic Industries Group makes Milwaukee, Ryobi, AEG, Homelite, Hoover, Dirt Devil and Vax. They are also publicly traded and you can see their brands here:

http://www.ttigroup.com/business/bra...40039c45881635

Techtronic was started by a German named Horst Pudwill and quickly became the OEM manufacturer for Craftsman, RIDGID and others. The RIDGID brand was a joint venture with Techtronic and Emerson Professional Tools. There is a great history (including a timeline) of the company here:

http://www.answers.com/topic/techtro...es-company-ltd

You'll note they also own OWT Industries, Inc. in South Carolina, who act as a final assembly, service, and R&D arm for the firm. Recalls of Craftsman products often quote OWT Industries.

I like to do my research, and I found too much misinformation on this site, so thought I would post this and we can all have the real story.

In the end, I just love a good power tool.
                                Last edited by welchtima; 10-17-2008, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X