dewalt vs ridgid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dewalt vs ridgid

I've read quite a few posts and am impressed at how much some people research individual tools. However, lots of tool sales come down to a few basics. I've read the speeches, just short answers, please.

Tool Use: heavy or light?

Brand Preference: Dewalt or Ridgid?

Why? (last longer, good experience, service, I just like black n yellow)

Does Country of Origin Matter?

Did you check Country of Origin for last tool you bought?

Ridgid Lifetime Warranty:

I'd buy a Ridgid tool over another brand just because of it, yes or no?

Is this intended to make up for manufacturing defects that are worse than other brands, yes or no?

A lower price than the competition ($5-$10) is very important when deciding which tool to buy.

Thanks

[ 09-22-2005, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: em r snakes ]

heavy
    ridgid
    higher quality tool for most part IMO
    yes but little choice these days
    yes
    No, if Ryobi offered a lifetime warranty I would not by their tools. Quality first, warranty is added bonus
    no

Comment

Tool use, heavy or light = YES

Brand Preference: DeWalt or Ridgid? = BOTH

Why? = BOTH MAKE WELL ENGINEERED TOOLS.

Does country of origin matter? = GLOBAL ECONOMY

Did you check country of origin for last tool you bought? = NO

Ridgids' Lifetime Warranty: = RIDGID DOESN'T HAVE A LIFETIME WARRANTY

Ridgids' Lifetime SERVICE Agreement: = A GOOD DEAL

I'd buy a Ridgid tool over another brand just because of it = NO

Is this intended to make up for manufacturing defects that are worse than other brands = NO
      I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

BadgerDave,

Thanks for the clarification. You're right, it's a lifetime service agreement, not warranty.

I'd like to see a few more responses.

Comment

Tool Use: heavy
          Brand Preference: Ridgid
          Why? I like the fast charge time and battery style.

Does Country of Origin Matter? it does but if i can't afford the best tools yet i will settle with what i can afford.

Did you check Country of Origin for last tool you bought? YES

Ridgids' Lifetime SERVICE Agreement: = A GOOD DEAL

Is this intended to make up for manufacturing defects that are worse than other brands?
          I don't know YET.

A lower price than the competition ($5-$10) is very important when deciding which tool to buy.

A few buck doesn't matter bhut 100 dollars less makes a big difference to me.

I look for a combo kit i like and buy as many tools as i can for the lowest price possible. But in some cases it is better to put out more money.
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

just remember de walt now is just an high dollar black and decker and would you spend 239 on a 18 volt b&d cordless drill?and if you did buy the dewalt ones at that price then you already did
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy:
              just remember de walt now is just an high dollar black and decker and would you spend 239 on a 18 volt b&d cordless drill?and if you did buy the dewalt ones at that price then you already did
              Using that logic then the same must also be said for Delta and Porter-Cable tools, nothing but expensive cheap ole B&D tools? I don't think that just because B&D puts the parent companies name on their consumer line of tools necessarily means that their professional lines(DeWalt, Delta & Porter-Cable) are low quality tools.
              I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

I ment no harm with my comment and it may not have been thought out real well before I put it here,and for that i am sorry Badger dave it is that I have been burned by dewalt a few times in the past.Please allow me to tell you all just a little.The frist one,I had just got a new skill saw (dw 357)(9 years ago)used it maybe 2 weeks the trigger broke took it in they fix it right away i was happy again.Same day the locking knob on the front snaped(now i am getting upset)got that fixed month goes by trigger goes bad again now the saw is always on(now i am pissed),then when I got the dewalt sawzall i was unhappy with it from the frist cut till i got rid of it,to me any way always seemed to have been very under powered it never did break,but I just never liked it.Moving on now 3 years ago I had to get a contractors type table saw(the 1970s era craftsman died and wasnt worth fixing).The saw had plenty of power but the guide and rail system always was 3/4 inch off table was not flat 1/4 off from the ends to the center then I could go on for a long time about other tools, but the only 2 dewalt tools i still have is a tool belt the nylon one that has sreved me well but it is very bulky i should have got the leather one but I never had a nylon one before so i gave it a shot the other one is the old R.A.S. that my dad gave me I do like it but it is a very old saw all the casings are tan not yellow so I really have no idea how old it really is but it just keeps going and going but no have had nothing but bad luck with dewalt I have no use for tools that have let me down over the years I do like ridgid alot I must admit though porter cable has long been a favorite of mine also so now Badger dave I now hope you now under stand what my frist post was all about. So can we still be friends?
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

"So can we still be friends? "

oldslowchevy, of course we can, just don't try and hug me.

I hear you loud and clear about having bad experiences with certain companies. I will never buy another Craftsman power tool because of past problems but I also won't condemn the entire product line as all junk either. Every company in the world builds some bad product every once in awhile. You seem to have gotten more than your fair share from DeWalt and if I were you I'd probably never buy another DeWalt tool again either.

Comment

has anyone noticed that Ryobi and Ridgid are made in the same factory? The serial numbers are very similar and the blade clamp o the sawzall is a dead give away. So Ridgid and Ryobi are the same as Dewalt and Black & Decker. I told my dad hi should get the Ryobi Cordless combo's. If you see how my dad treats his tools you'll understand my line of thinking. The tools are cheap and the batterys are cheaper. So when my dad would break it (and hi would somehow) it is not a big deal.

In the future I would like to try bosch and see if they're better for durability and battery runtime/life.
                    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Some Ryobi and Ridgid are made in the same factory in China, some Ridgid and Metabo are made in the same factory in Germany.
                      The Chevy Suburban and the Escalade ESV are also made in the same Mexican Plant

GM Silao Products

Comment

Tool Use: heavy or light?- Heavy

Brand Preference: Dewalt or Ridgid?- DeWalt.

Why? (last longer, good experience, service, I just like black n yellow)
                        More reliable in my experience

Does Country of Origin Matter?- Not really

Did you check Country of Origin for last tool you bought?- no

I'd buy a Ridgid tool over another brand just because of it, yes or no?- absolutly not

Is this intended to make up for manufacturing defects that are worse than other brands, yes or no?- maybe. I think its a way to lull folks into buying there stuff. Actualy getting stuff fixed under warrenty is a huge hassle, plus, a warrenty on a tool that breaks prematurly is still junk since said tool needs to be sent away for weeks and not on the jobsite where I need it.

A lower price than the competition ($5-$10) is very important when deciding
                        which tool to buy.
                        five or ten dollars isn`t worth the hassle. I`d rather pay a little more for a product I can rely on to work for the long haul.

Comment

Dewalt vs Ridgid

Very Simple :

Lifetime Warranty says it all. The main use for this is for batteries. It is nice to know that if your battery goes out in 3 or 5 years that you can go to Home Depot and exchange it free of charge. Technically it would need to go to sevice center after 3 yrs but I know a rep who says all batteries and charges will not be sent out but exchanged at store.Dewalt has 1 year on battery replacement.At $79 bucks a pop that could get expensive.The new Ridgid batteries are 2.5 ah compared to Dewalt's 2.4 ah's. Not a biggie right ? Well consider the Ridgid comes with a Dual battery charger which charges batteries in 30 min compared to Dewalt's 1 hour. Also, max torque on Ridgid 18v is 580 vs Dewalt at 500. Oh yeah and price. Just take the 14.4v impact for example. Dewalt-$239 Ridgid- $179(thats not $5 or $10). Oh and the spec that stands out: Ridgid torque-1400 in lbs / Dewalt-1150. All in all I believe Ridgid has not been out there long enough. Give it some time and you will see a lot less yellow and black.

My 2 cents

Comment

Ryobi and Ridgid are both made b TTI. TTI also just bought Milwaukee. Just like B & D who also makes Dewalt. I do agree with ya on the prices. I actualy use and abuse Ryobi tools. At that price I almost consider them disposable tools. If I buy a $99 drill and it goes out in 2 years then oh well, I got my money's worth. Though they are made by the same company, the parts are all totally different. Hope this helps

Comment

Tool Use: light

Brand Preference: Dewalt cordless, Ridgid corded and some Corded Dewalt

Why? I Have made an investment in Dewalt cordless already, it is not economically feasible and convent to switch to another battery type and charger. I like the interoperability of my 18v Dewalt tools, and I have the Radio Charger.

Does Country of Origin Matter? No

Did you check Country of Origin for last tool you bought? No

Ridgid Lifetime Service:

I'd buy a Ridgid tool over another brand just because of it, yes or no? Yes, if the Ridgid tool is of comparable Specs I will spend a little more for it.

Is this intended to make up for manufacturing defects that are worse than other brands yes or no? No Parts wear out over time if I can replace those parts under a lifetime service plan it is more valuable to me.

A lower price than the competition ($5-$10) is very important when deciding which tool to buy. Its not important but it helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X