X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Depot and warranties with RIDGID

The other day I was out shopping for a table saw. I went into Home Depot located in Whitby Ontario Canada. I was upset when the sales person brought it to my attention that the same table saw I was looking at with a 3 year warranty for $999.99 plus taxes was sold at Christmas time with a Life Time Warranty. Why would that sales person bring that to my attention 4 months after Christmas. Now why would I buy a product that had a lifetime warranty and now only a 3 year warranty, and the price is still the same? I have been looking at a lot of table saws and I do like the Ridgid products.
    I do not understand why you chose to change the warranty period and did not lower your prices. I would like to understand why I should buy your product.

Concerned prospective customer,
    Dave Harris

Because the warranty was a promo, 3 years is still longer than most.

Comment

Well guess I will find a different table saw. It is terible that I would be told about the lifetime warranty 4 months after it was over by a sales person. This has made me look at other saws and consider staying away from RIDGID.
      Dave Harris
      Dave Harris

Comment

What ever floats your boat, but I have many ridgid tools and not one problem yet.

Makita screw gun - 5 years trigger wore out
        Makita circular saw - 4 years arbor wobble
        Makita Recip saw - 5 years blade screw snap
        Dewalt Drill - 1 year motor smoked up
        Dewalt Belt Sander - 6 years drive belt went
        Porter cable Circular saw - 3 months bevel lock strip
        Porter cable recip saw - 4 months chuck problems
        Porter cable 4gal compressor - 9 months cylinder shot
        Ryobi grinder - 1 hour motor smoked up
        Skill Table saw - 2 months switch broke
        Skill Jig saw - 4 years bearings runout

These are tools in service that have failed, I have other tools from these companies (except ryobi) that are in service for 10 years and still running except for a few lemons. Tools in gerneral have a long service life, when someone purchases a drill and exchanges four times with the same problem it raises a red flag, not for the tool but for the person operating it. Ridgid tools are not ryobi and sounds like this drill thing is just brand bashing. Ryobi tools are for light hobby use only, and for that they can be expected to function satisfactory.

And porter cable 2001-2003 were kinda shotty as far as bevel stops and screw downs but their new models have corrected this problem.

All I am trying to say is no matter what brand you go with you are going to find a quality product for the most part.

Comment

An employee of Home Depot is living in the past and somehow this is Ridgid's fault and their products aren't worth buying? Sorry Dave but I can't see the logic in that.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The warrantee thing does suck as all their tools used to be lifetime warrantee, I bought the 4 pack of ridgid cordless tools when they first came out and ridgid offered lifetime warrantee on material and workmanship plus normal wear and tear. this included free batteries for life!!! that is were these tools get expensive, I also made about 6 copies of the reciept and the ad brochure because home depot has these stupid reciepts that fade in a couple of months esp. with heat. Personnally I think it is intentional, However I think it will eventually land them in legal issues if it has not already. anyway I will get my lifetime service and warrantee HA!

Comment

I don't know the situation in Canada, but effective April 15, 2005, the "limited lifetime service agreement" was put into effect for all Ridgid power tools. Here is the link: http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

With regard to your disatisfaction because of a "comment" by one of those "orange aprons", don't be too thin skinned about it. If you visit HD often you'll find an abundance of misinformation and very little in the way of sales training or customer relations etiquette. I know there are exceptions to that and occasionally you'll find someone there who will really make an effort, but my experience has found it to be pretty rare. However, I presume you were there to purchase a product and under almost any circumstance, I would hope you'd do a little homework before making a decision. I've found sales people to be the least likely to provide the best information about a product.

CWS

Comment

I would hope Mr Harris found a saw since his original post in 2004 .
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Lorax,

You're observation skill obviously exceed mine... and that explains about the "lifetime warrenty" being in place "last Christmas".

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

we've had tons of mis-info from depot,like when i called to ask a certain tech support line no#(i think it was for roof-coat)my suggestion was they might find said # on side of can....so some of the problem is as someone said,just common sense and lack of training and person-skills,we bought the r-3200 circular and are over-whelmimgly impressed with it,have so far remodeled two homes and go thru a lot of tools,but im gonna stick to ridgid,it is so much better than other tsaws i've owned...my prob. now is that it was $109 with a ten dollar rebate,no one seems to know whos doin' the rebating,ridgid or depot?anyhow,i'd a paid $120 for it im so happy with the darn saw...the features proved to me that someone at ridgid is really doing their homework...

Comment

I felt the same way after carful consideration of a miter saw. I did not see any of the "Lifetime Warrentiees" signs, but to my surprise I did find mail in warrenties for the same warrenty as I had seen at christmas time. I read all the small print and found no reason it would not be covered. Also the wood working mags I read have Ridgid adds, they all mention the Lifetime Warrenty with experation dates for purchases.

Comment

The problem I have with HD'S warranty on Ridgid tools, is that it has to be taken back to a ridge service center for repairs. Why?
                        I own power tools from most major tool company's ie. (Makita,Bosch,Milwaukee,etc.), and I have no less than five warranty approved repair shops within forty five minutes of my home. If one is to busy I can go to another one. If I have to have the tool back ASAP, I can pay to have parts overnighted.
                        When this is normal procedure for most tool company's, I can't understand why anyone would want to be Hamstrung by HD and Ridge.

Comment

Warranty Approved Repair Shops and Service Centers are the same thing. I fail to see your point. With the exception of those repair shop/service centers, I can't think of any place around here that both sells and services tools, why should HD be any different?

I will say that Ridgid has dropped the ball big time when it comes to the number of service centers they have setup so far. Thats the biggest gripe I have with their service program. I haven't had to use a service center yet but if that day comes, I already know it will be a hassle unless some additional service centers are added.

[ 08-08-2005, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: BadgerDave ]
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

What amazes me is that HD and RIDGID have an agreement and each HD store has what they call a Return To Vendor Associate who is supposedly "trained to inspect the tools and determine if it is covered under warranty" yet the front desk return associates do not know this. Many of the managers do not know this. They need better training. It is not that HD will not stand behind or honor the warranty on ridgid tools, it is that many of the associates do not know how, i spoke with one that did not even know what a RTV clerk was. Now here is the thing, I don't know if this is intentional or not. But what I do know is that I am courteous but I will get slightly agitated as stupidity runs rampant, and most managers do not like a scene, it is bad for business. I don't know about you, but if I was in the tool corral and had a couple of ridgid tools that are supposed to have a "lifetime warranty" and someone was at the counter having a hard time getting their tool warrantied (repaired or replaced, i would think twice about spending my hard earned monies on their products...

\"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Spacebluesonoma is right. I just found out about the RTV associate. I was having trouble with the cashier and the RTV guy just happened along, He approved the exchange of my RIDGID Drill that was 6 months old and put a RTV sticker on my old one.

He said that HD will refund or exchange for 90 days no questions asked. After that he told me to DEMAND to see someone about the HD 'Return to Vendor policy'.

If that doesn't work, he said to tell them that you will buy a new one, put your broken one in the box and bring it back under the '90 day no questions asked policy'. According to him, this will make them understand your desire and find a way fulfill your request!

Comment

Working...
                              X